was anybody borderline with their sugar to being diabetic and did it go down

Options
I was wondering if anybody has been pre diabetic and after loosing weight it went down?

Replies

• nalagala
    nalagala Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Over 10 years ago, maybe in my late teens/early 20s, my doctor told my I was pre-diabetic. I hadn't gone to the doctor since then. Finally got myself a different doctor and I've done 3 blood tests in the last 4 months and my sugar levels are normal. I've lost 89 pounds so far.
  • besmith11
    besmith11 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Yes. I have lost 75 pounds. Was diagnosed prediabetic. This is the main reason for me losing weight, exercising, and strength training. It has taken me a little less than a year to do this but still have a ways to go. Need to lose another 40 or so pounds to be considered in a healthy weight range.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Yes and yes. Lower carb diet (between 100-150 grams) lost 25lbs, vigorous exercise. Numbers in a good range for A1c and BG for several years.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Yes, within the first 25 lbs all issues resolved. Weight loss plus mild exercise.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Yes, I was just a click away from an official diagnosis. If they still diagnosed diabetes by fasting blood glucose test I would have been classified as diabetic. It was the reason I decided to lose weight. It took 30 something kg (about 70 lbs) of weight loss to bring me down to normal levels, any weight loss beyond that was my choice because I want to be at a healthier weight.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Pre-diabetes isn't so much a diagnosis, but a risk category, so don't read too much into this.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/commentary/ct-prediabetes-diabetes-pharma-epidemic-perspec-0801-jm-20160729-story.html

My fasted blood sugar was over 100 (100 to 125 mg/dL is prediabetic range) and dropped below 100 as my bodyfat % decreased. I never changed what I ate, but simply ate in moderation and increased my activity.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    yes considered borderline - changed diet. increased exercise and poof all health bio metrics within one year.
  • pamjoliver56
    pamjoliver56 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I was borderline and didn't change my habits then became full blown diabetic taking Metformin twice daily. I lost 60 pounds due to an illness and losing my husband to cancer. My blood sugar was normal - no more meds, my blood pressure was normal - no more meds for that either. That was a wonderful surprise to me. Just don't gain it back like I did. Trying to lose the weight now the right way. Yes, losing weight definitely works. Good luck to you.
  • pamjoliver56
    pamjoliver56 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I also took meds for cholesterol and after weight loss, I got off those meds as well.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    yes, and yes
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Yes and yes.

Glucose was normal but HgA1C was prediabetic level. I exercised a ton but my diet was awful. Lost 70 lbs between WW (my start) and here. Diet was the problem.
  • ldigeorge
    ldigeorge Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I was borderline with sugars and borderline hypertensive.

Then, they were both superlative, without medication.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Yup, was on Metformin but lost 100 lbs and now I'm normal. No need for meds anymore.
  • SMKing75
    SMKing75 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Yes, my husband has been told he is pre-diabetic several times. He has lost weight, and lost his diagnosis. Then gained weight and got it back. This last year his level was 6.0 after weight loss. He is predisposed due to his family. However, he has went on to lose more weight and will have a recheck in May. My husband is overweight, not obese. BMI is 26 and he is 6'4. We are hoping if he loses a tad more weight and gets into the normal range he may be saved another few years provided he can keep it off.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options
    100% yes - that's got to be a first for a MFP thread :lol:
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,827 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • reedreed8181
    reedreed8181 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes, My doctor had prescribed medication based on my A1c numbers, but with his advice and MFP, I lost 34 pounds and no longer am considered diabetic or even pre-diabetic. It was a worthwhile investment in my health.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Yes. But my numbers go back into predisbetic range as my weigh t creeps up into the 170lb range. I am currently 160lbs and 5’7”, aiming for 145-150lbs, but I struggle constantly.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,001 Member
    Options
    Yes. I was at the high end of the prediabetic range and my a1c came back down to the normal range with weight loss and very moderate exercise (walking and a little dancing).
  • AwesomeOpossum74
    AwesomeOpossum74 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    My physician explained that prediabetic means it's probable that you can pull your A1C down, with good personal management. Once you are diabetic, you are in need of medical intervention to prevent further damage.

About 3 years ago, my A1C was 5.9 (borderline prediabetic), and I was 230lbs. This scared me, and I lost 15+ of those lbs over the year by cutting out most sweets and walking more. Last June my A1C was 5.6, and I was 210lbs, and the doc told me I was in the best shape he's ever seen me. (I take that as an encouraging grain of salt.) I am now down to 193lbs, with a goal of 180-185 (I am 6'3").

With cautious optimism, I am waiting for my next appointment to know how my A1C looks today. I am genetically predisposed to diabetes, so high-normal A1C is probably the best I can hope for. I won't be surprised if, even with good management, my A1C will inevitably climb.