Busy Moms - have to get creative to get it done

Options
Hi all, if you’re a busy mom like me -3 children- full time job, no time
For yourself, and on the fitness journey to get back to feeling good about yourself! Join me!! I’ve gotten 5 pounds from fitness competing and due to my emotional eating and depression. lost all progress, however, 5 years later I’m back on the saddle and I’m not given up...
I want us to share tips , recipes, etc, on how we make time for fitness and family!

Replies

• deanna8640
    deanna8640 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Busy mom tip:
    Get a crock pot and prepare meals at night for the next day! This saves time and you have time to think about planning healthy meals for the family. I recommend, planning for the week, drop it in the pot and let it cook!! Warm once they children are ready for dinner ..tada
    Dinner is served! #supermom
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I got a Ninja Foodi for Christmas. Dinner on the table in 30 minutes or so. Best thing ever!
  • CydSteele
    CydSteele Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    For me the crock pot has been wonderful. I avoided it for years and it collected dust in the cupboard but now that and my rice cooker are in use several times a week. I have several under 30 minute meals written down and can just throw it on and let it go. I try to walk as much as possible, even a few extra flights of stairs to put laundry away in smaller batches, or taking the dog around the block and extra time or two.
  • cask16
    cask16 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I showed my 3 yr old my “jumping video ‘ aka Jillian Michaels workouts - I knew he’d love them and I’ll never say no when he wants a to “exercise”.

His 3 month old sister watches from her bouncy chair and finds us hilarious.

I also get straight into workout clothes in the morning so after nursery drop off I can come straight home and workout and shower before starting the tasks of the day - all assuming the baby allows!
  • bethberryjuice
    bethberryjuice Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I use my lunch break to work out because it is the only time of the day I'm guaranteed time to myself!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    My kiddo is older so it's easier now. But I'm up at 3:45 a.m., and at the gym by 4:30 to get my workout in.

I walk on my morning, lunch and afternoon breaks to get my steps in.

I use my crockpot a LOT. It's Wednesday, and there's beef stew in it today. Monday was chicken breast and green salsa for chicken tacos.

I am also fortunate enough to have someone come in twice a month and do the deep cleaning of my house. If you can swing this financially, DO IT!!! It is the best thing ever. I go to work in the morning, the cleaning fairies come during the day, and I come home to a clean house. BLISSFUL!
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Lots of little movements and exercise throughout the day help me. I'm currently doing a pushup challenge and Most of the time I'm doing them while the kids get their screen time in after school but before bed. They both have wanted to "do it with me" when they see me doing them. lol it's been kind of fun actually.

I'll also just bust out a few squats at my desk at work. I have a few people joining me now...also kind of fun actually. And I too, am a "laper" when the kids are playing. Mine are a bit older and if they're shooting hoops out front, I'll walk the circle of our neighborhood while they are in the driveway. About a quarter of a mile and I often get 6 or 8 laps in while they're playing.

Also I try to do things WITH the kids, jump on the trampoline with them, go play in the snow with them, etc. That was one of my main reasons for initially wanting to lose weight a couple years ago so now I make sure I still do those things...even though we're all older.
  • sahalbur
    sahalbur Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Before when I was a single Mom of two kids, I had my exercise bike parked in front of the TV so when the kids went to bed, I did an hour every night. At the time I worked on my Dad's farm, so I was pretty active throughout the day... which helped.

Now, I'm married with three kids, my husband took over my job on the farm and I now have a desk job and my weight has slowly been creeping back on. I have just recently started working on getting myself active again.

Best thing for me is eating two meals (mainly so I can eat two higher calorie meals), taking the stairs at work, and walk as much as I can. I have also started jogging the bike trail behind our house. I want to include lifting heavy a few times a week at the gym, but really the only time I have to do that is the same time that quiksylver296 said... 3:45 a.m. I did it before my husband and I were married, but I'm finding it challenging to go back to that routine.