Scale doesn't budge :(..Any pointers please

Options
Hello,
I am 33 yr old female, currently weighing about 64 kgs, ht - 5ft 2".My goal is to weigh about 55 kgs in the next 4 months. Is that achievable?
I have been on the fitness journey on and off for the past few yrs now.Suffered from a knee injury in 2017 while doing crossfit and was out for a year just focussing on strengthening my knee just by physio sessions.Knee is much better now although not fully recovered.
I have started my fitness journey again from DEC 2018..keeping my calories in check, goal about 1200, ensure my calorie intake is about 1300-1400 on an avg with one day of some indulgence( one meal) in a week.
As per the diary of My fitness pal app, the calories remaining at the end of the day = 1000 on an avg.(Not sure if this is good enough).Any idea what should be the ideal number of calories remaining for weight loss.
My workout schedule is 5-6 times a week which consists of
-3 times cardio including HIIT, Circuit training
-‎ 2-3 weight training sessions for back, biceps, legs, chest and shoulders.
I have been monitoring my wt since dec but it hasnt budged even after following a healthy lifestyle.Any pointers that you guys can give me? It's the first time that my body doesnt seem to be reacting to my diet/ workout schedule and it is indeed demotivating.
Any help or pointers in terms of anything I am doing wrong would be appreciated.
Thanks a lot.

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    So you have about 20lbs to lose that means aiming for 0.5-1lb per week maximum loss. The less we have to lose the longer it seems before we see progress. And that's because the margin of error when logging calories or accounting for calories burned is less because we have less to lose.
    How are you tracking your calories? are you using a food scale? logging every single bite?
    Its early days and a month isn't enough time yet to see much of a loss, Christmas in the middle of it won't have helped either.
    So if you're not using a food scale, make that your priority.
    I'm same height, am pretty active and lost 0.5lb a week eating 1600-1700 gross calories - the number of calories does vary per person according to activity. (MFP had me set at 1400 calories + exercise to lose)
    If you've plugged your stats into this app and chosen the 0.5lb /1lb loss per week it will have calculated what your calories should be, start with that. And eat back some exercise calories too, I say SOME because the calorie burns can be inflated. Over time you will see if you can actually eat more of those back when you see how your weight loss is going.

All the best.
  • gdkarmarkar
    gdkarmarkar Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    IsETHome wrote: »
    My 2c. A. On workouts. {And there are a number of factors we don't know including Cardio time etc]. Change your fitness tracker to work out 3-4 times a week not 5-6. (Count your cardio days as the work out days). You might be at the gym a little too much. Your Cardio should be about an hour (15 minute warm up, so some weights and 45+ minutes follow up) Your body probably needs a little more rest, and might think it is starving. If you feel you must do that many gym days, then make some walking/treadmill or swimming, not vigorous. B. Start measuring, and weighing your food. Check your drink bottles for calories - you might be taking in excess through vitamin drinks. Check ALL your pre-packaged food for serving size, you might be miscounting something important. I found a 200 calorie error on something I was eating about 4 weeks along. Log everything - and I mean everything. For example, a small mint (which one would think is nominal, might have 60 calories, and little things like this can add up fast).

I try to do cardio twice a week which is mostly running in intervals on the treadmill for about 30 mins.
    Regarding counting the calories I haven't yet started to weigh food , I take the measurements in terms of cups, fist size, palm size, so not sure if that really works.and yes I do log every single bite of food no matter how small it is.
    I dont really drink any packaged juices or aerated drinks.Might have a glass of fresh fruit juice without sugar once in a while.
    Also to tell you the truth, I am seeing the scale tip down a bit this week..so yayy...guess I needed some more patience.
    Thank you very much for your inputs :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    IsETHome wrote: »
    My 2c. A. On workouts. {And there are a number of factors we don't know including Cardio time etc]. Change your fitness tracker to work out 3-4 times a week not 5-6. (Count your cardio days as the work out days). You might be at the gym a little too much. Your Cardio should be about an hour (15 minute warm up, so some weights and 45+ minutes follow up) Your body probably needs a little more rest, and might think it is starving. If you feel you must do that many gym days, then make some walking/treadmill or swimming, not vigorous. B. Start measuring, and weighing your food. Check your drink bottles for calories - you might be taking in excess through vitamin drinks. Check ALL your pre-packaged food for serving size, you might be miscounting something important. I found a 200 calorie error on something I was eating about 4 weeks along. Log everything - and I mean everything. For example, a small mint (which one would think is nominal, might have 60 calories, and little things like this can add up fast).

I try to do cardio twice a week which is mostly running in intervals on the treadmill for about 30 mins.
    Regarding counting the calories I haven't yet started to weigh food , I take the measurements in terms of cups, fist size, palm size, so not sure if that really works.and yes I do log every single bite of food no matter how small it is.
    I dont really drink any packaged juices or aerated drinks.Might have a glass of fresh fruit juice without sugar once in a while.
    Also to tell you the truth, I am seeing the scale tip down a bit this week..so yayy...guess I needed some more patience.
    Thank you very much for your inputs :)

You're eating more than you think. Get a food scale
  • rikkejohnsenrij
    rikkejohnsenrij Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    How do you correctly log "every single bite..." if you don't weigh it? You're probably eating more than you think, since we tend to underestimate food when guessing quantities. Look for the peanutbutter video to the difference between weighing and using volumes :)
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I second (third?) the advice to get a food scale. It's really hard to estimate correctly most of the time. Just one example: the cereals I eat for breakfast have the calories listed for a serving size of "30g cereal with 120ml skimmed mild". I measured with the scale, I eat between 40-45g with ~160ml of whole milk. Just by looking at it, I would have guessed I eat less than a full serving! So I would already underestimate my breakfast calories by 30% or something just from this.

When I started MFP, I was at 67.4kg (at 5'6''). I lost 9.5kg in 8month with a goal of 1500kcal/day plus exercise calories.
    For exercise, I ate all the calories back from running (based on 1kcal burned per kg of bodyweight per km run), and half of all other activities using the MFP estimates. And tried to also track exercise minutes accurately. For example, when I go to a climbing gym with friends, I start and stop my watch to only count the time I'm really actively on the wall. I found that if we go for 90min, I sometimes only spend 25min really climbing. The rest of the time I'm either watching my climbing partner, thinking about the problem, or we are discussing about how to do a route, ... So if I logged 90min of climbing, just because I spend that time at the wall, I would grossly overestimate the burn.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    " I take the measurements in terms of cups, fist size, palm size, so not sure if that really works."

It might work for a very few but can be dreadfully inaccurate for many.
    It's very easy to fix that inaccuracy with an inexpensive digital scale, calories are in relation to weight not volume, or size.

Even if you don't do it forever or for every food item it's very educational about where your calories are actually coming from.
  • anmille8
    anmille8 Posts: 50 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I have the same problem I've been tracking pretty religiously for the past couple weeks and the scale isn't moving. I have my calories set at 1200 which should be low enough below my maintenance that if I'm not weighing perfectly there should be some loss not to mention I'm hungry quite often but if the scale isn't moving I can't eat more. I also workout and don't eat back those calories. Well I went out to dinner last night ordered a sweet potato and two sliders and gained .8 lbs ugh
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    anmille8 wrote: »
    I have the same problem I've been tracking pretty religiously for the past couple weeks and the scale isn't moving. I have my calories set at 1200 which she be low enough below my maintenance that if I'm not weighing perfectly there should be some loss not to mention I'm hungry quite often but if the scale isn't moving I can't eat more. Well I went out to dinner last night ordered a sweet potato and two sliders and gained .8 lbs ugh

you didn't gain weight - you had a normal weight flucuation that comes from having a likely higher carb/higher sodium meal
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    sounds like you are eating more than you think especially if you think you are eating only 1000. I am 5`1 and 125 and loosing slowly at 1350-1400 calories with no real cardio.

get a scale asap and confirm your intake (and double check the entries you pick, some are incorrect). when in doubt i double check with Calorie King website. also beware with meats if you weigh before VS after it can make a difference.
  • anmille8
    anmille8 Posts: 50 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I have the same problem I've been tracking pretty religiously for the past couple weeks and the scale isn't moving. I have my calories set at 1200 which she be low enough below my maintenance that if I'm not weighing perfectly there should be some loss not to mention I'm hungry quite often but if the scale isn't moving I can't eat more. Well I went out to dinner last night ordered a sweet potato and two sliders and gained .8 lbs ugh

you didn't gain weight - you had a normal weight flucuation that comes from having a likely higher carb/higher sodium meal

Yea I just need to be more patient it's just hard to see the scale go up after not seeing it move at all for a couple days especially when I have an obesity and expect to see more changes.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    mhrok8qua13b.jpg
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

Yea I just need to be more patient it's just hard to see the scale go up after not seeing it move at all for a couple days especially when I have an obesity and expect to see more changes.

this is why weight chart for the last 30 days - its not a single day that matters but the overall trend - i recommend using a trending app

9s33r7wufpjc.png