Skinny Taste Recipe Calories vs. My Fitness Pal Calories?

Options
Does anyone else know why when I upload a recipe from Skinny Taste to MFP the calories for the same recipe are different?

Replies

• conal6
    conal6 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    When you are loading Calories how do find calories for Skinny taste do you enter - Skinny Taste Meatloaf or meatloaf+Skinny taste?
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I usually do skinny taste meatloaf, or the one I usually make Skinnytaste turkey meatloaf.... Have you had that one... so good.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    One site's estimate of the weight of "1 medium onion" may differ from the other.
  • shannonreidwiltshire
    Options
    Last night I made the Skinnytaste Goulash and it called for whole wheat noodles which I didn't have so I decided to create my own recipe in MFP using all of the same ingredients except for the orange pepper and swapped whole wheat noodles for regular elbow macaroni. The calorie count on my MFP recipe was about 70 calories lower than the calories in the recipe. Also the recipe said that it was 6 1.5 cup servings. I only got 4 1.5 cup servings. When I edited the servings in MFP it took the calories about 100 over from the original recipe (which I expected). I just don't understand why my original calorie count would have been lower than the book.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    cup servings are IMHO a horrible measurement for determining calories...but that being said peppers have calories and maybe the noodle brand you used had less calories than the brand that she sed - that is why i use recipes as a plan, but always recalculate for my personal logging

re: final weight - i highly recommend making the serving size, the final cooked product weight in g or oz (i find oz or 10g increments to work the best for me) - then i just scoop out my serving size and log (so if i made it 10g increments and have 157g - i would like 15.7 servings)
  • shannonreidwiltshire
    Options
    That's the only thing I dislike about her cookbook is the servings are cups, etc. instead of weight. I do have old Weight Watchers serving spoons that are 1/2 cup and cup sizes so that helps a little bit.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I know the Better Butter Chicken recipe in particular can differ because the recipe on the website vs the cookbook are slightly different. This results in different calorie counts.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    I use the recipe builder or import a lot of recipes, and I've never had a recipe come out the same as is stated in the source, because of varying brands, weights, etc. (the recipe may call for 1 cup, and I may enter it as a gram weight). Always double check recipes you import, because there are lots of glitches & bad matches in the recipe builder, both for the item itself and the quantity.

More than once, when I entered the recipe, the calories were actually DOUBLE what the website stated.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I almost never import recipes any more, but rather enter the ingredients individually as I prep them. I often make substitutions or reduce oil or use a frozen version of a veggie (like mirepoix), etc. I find it easier just to enter it manually and save it as one of my own recipes. Once I've weighed everything going in, I weigh the finished product, and that # in grams is the total amount. Then I just weigh out the # of grams I want.

For example, if my soup recipe comes out to 2200g in the end, I put that in the total servings for the recipe. Then, when I enter it in my diary, I'll put in, let's say, 400g of soup.
  • PennyP312
    PennyP312 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Maxxitt wrote: »
    there's one entry in the data base where one garlic clove = 1300+ calories and it seems to be the default for garlic ... kinda funny

Haha I used this garic entry mistakingly a while back for a huge batch of chili. I Didn’t initially notice it but I wondered why the calories seemed so high!

Now I Always double check those entries, especially when building a recipe. Bad ones can slip past easily if your making a big batch of something 🤣

• BeckyBeebs
    BeckyBeebs Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Agree with other posters. I'm usually pretty spot-on to her calorie and nutrient amounts - after I check and correct what MFP "matched" for me. Another thing, I sometimes alter the serving size and/or drop/add ingredients - so if you select one of my skinnytaste recipes, it won't match her cookbook/site. For example, one of her soup recipes is for 6 servings, but I partition it into 5 servings. I always match her closely first, and then make my adjustments within the MFP recipe so my personal calorie counts for the day are accurate. If your selections aren't matching, look at the actual MFP recipe behind it.