Strong Lifts 5X5

Options
Hello! Is there anyone out there who has done this program? Have you found success with it? Any women who would recommend following it?

Replies

• cogirljb55
    cogirljb55 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Very much yes, this is what got me started in lifting!!! The program is very simple to follow, absolutely love it and saw great results!!!
  • fastfoodietofitcutie
    Options
    I’m thinking of starting it also.
  • klrenn
    klrenn Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I started with StrongLifts, got what I could out of it (I think it was about a year before I stalled out) and then I moved on to some intermediate programs for a few years. I recently was out of the gym for 6 months and am now running StrongLifts again to get my strength back up.

I like the simplicity of the program. It can feel easy at the beginning (depending on your starting strength) but the weight goes up fairly quickly and gets challenging.

There’s a group here for women running StrongLifts - not sure how to link to it...
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    Yes! This program is what got me into lifting. So easy to follow and not at all intimidating.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Yes, I used it to start out and had excellent results.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Yep, started with Stronglifts. Hold 4 state records in powerlifting now. I'd say it worked for me. ;)

Because of her recommendation, I'm doing it now. Been at it since Oct. I like the app but am looking at mixing it up a little (adding assisted pullups and something else) so am looking at the Jetfit app.

I'm more focused on running, but am doing SL as I know I need to do some lifting whether I want to or not. ANd I've learned it will help my running.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I loved it but found I couldn't step up my weight as much or as often as the program lays out. Back when I did it, you could manually enter what you lift, so I could work at my own pace.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Many people here (me included) have used Stronglifts and/or Starting Strength (which preceded Stronglifts chronologically) as a beginning lifting program to increase their strength while also losing weight and improving their "fitness" generally.
  • Jadu786
    Jadu786 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback everyone
  • SJKirk51912
    SJKirk51912 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I followed the program in 2015 and loved it. Eventually life took a turn and I stopped but I will be starting back up soon. I recommend it to all of my female friends.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I've lifted most of my life, but never had any formal instruction. I hired a professional to check my form and followed the Stronglifts program initially. For the first few weeks she ensured my form was perfect - starting out with a broomstick as this highlight bad habits which can be covered up under weight.

I still stick with this, but have expanded it a bit after two years. Highly recommend as a starting program - the app makes this incredibly simple and straightforward.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Yes I have done it and it works. I do think micro plates are helpful, as adding 10lbs per lift is too fast for me. I add 5lbs or a rep or a set. Eventually I began adding more exercises to it, but it is a great place to start.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    It's okay for a starting program though anybody will suceed on any program if they are untrained. It certainly isn't a program I would run for long(3-5months) as there are much better options of appropriate programming once a lift stalls.
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    great for starting. You may move on to Starting Strength as a result. I love the program and all Starting strength podcasts. you may find them helpful. also the Blue book Starting Strength
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Yes I have done it and it works. I do think micro plates are helpful, as adding 10lbs per lift is too fast for me. I add 5lbs or a rep or a set. Eventually I began adding more exercises to it, but it is a great place to start.

There is a serious flaw with utilizing micro plates and LP programming if you aren't using calibrated plates or using exactly same weights every session.

Commercial gym weights can and usually ate off as much as 1-3lbs in either direction, so you really wouldn't be neccessarily adding weight to the bar or at least lifting as much as you think if that makes sense.

It wouldnt make too much of a difference if you are fairly new to training though. Good luck with your training regardless.

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »

There is a serious flaw with utilizing micro plates and LP programming if you aren't using calibrated plates or using exactly same weights every session.

Commercial gym weights can and usually ate off as much as 1-3lbs in either direction, so you really wouldn't be neccessarily adding weight to the bar or at least lifting as much as you think if that makes sense.

It wouldnt make too much of a difference if you are fairly new to training though. Good luck with your training regardless.

Maybe I used the term incorrectly. I find using plates smaller than 5lbs each(like 2.5lbs) to be helpful. My gym is not commercial and most of the plates are the same. Yes, use the same plates on each side of the bar. I have progressed a lot from where I started.