water, how much is too much?

Options
13»

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Water intoxication or hyponatremia can be fatal. My mom's cousin died from too much water when they were younger, as in young children. They went for a hike in the middle of day and didn't bring any water. They were just kids who wandered out and when they came home, her cousin drank at least a gallon in a span of a couple of minutes. She ended up dying. You can literally wash away electrolytes like potassium and sodium which are necessary for the body to function.

This is an extreme situation and not what the OP is referring to.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Hydration is good - and it would take ALOT more to be too much. But the losing 10lb in a week - that is pretty much nonsense so I would ignore the advice of the person who told you that. You MAY lose some water weight as you become more hydrated and as such MAY retain less - but 10lb, highly unlikely.

Actually, I lost about 7 in my first week. It's very possible as most of what you will lose is excess water weight. ^-^ But, that high loss in the first 1-2 weeks didn't stick around and I lost 1-2 lbs a week after that water weight came off.

^^^^ That is what they was telling me, to down water to help get rid of the water weight so normal weight loss could start

My point is, please do not expect 10lbs. If it happens great - but I am just trying to set expectations so you do not get disappointed. A more common amount that I have seen is 3 - 4 lbs (but may be higher depending on other cicrumstances ssuch as starting weight).
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I drink between 16 (128 ) to 18 (144 ), 8 oz of water a day, had a doctor appointment and she chewed me out. she said that was too much water for me to take in daily and to cut it down to half my body weight. I explained that i am thirsty throughout the day (feeling dehydrated) and dont drink soda. she suggested sugar free candy, so I tried it and its nasty. So my daily intake has decreased to 12 (96) to 14 (112).

if any one have any other suggestion, I am open

You need a new doctor. Sugar free candy instead of water? WTF?
  • vade43113
    vade43113 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Hydration is good - and it would take ALOT more to be too much. But the losing 10lb in a week - that is pretty much nonsense so I would ignore the advice of the person who told you that. You MAY lose some water weight as you become more hydrated and as such MAY retain less - but 10lb, highly unlikely.

Actually, I lost about 7 in my first week. It's very possible as most of what you will lose is excess water weight. ^-^ But, that high loss in the first 1-2 weeks didn't stick around and I lost 1-2 lbs a week after that water weight came off.

^^^^ That is what they was telling me, to down water to help get rid of the water weight so normal weight loss could start

My point is, please do not expect 10lbs. If it happens great - but I am just trying to set expectations so you do not get disappointed. A more common amount that I have seen is 3 - 4 lbs (but may be higher depending on other cicrumstances ssuch as starting weight).

Not expecting anything, just looking for ways to help with weight loss. If it works and I lose 1 pound... and it continues, cools.... if not look for something new
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options

You lost 7lb - which is not unusual - 10lb is. Also, its unpredictable, so someone telling her she WILL lose it is just wrong.

My friend lost 12. Though, her weight was higher than mine. Of course, guaranteeing for anyone will never be accurate. But it remains possible! ^-^ Just keep up the great work and stay hydrated, I suppose!!

I did not say it was impossible.

^-^ I know, I was just giving an example of someone I knew that had lost quite a bit!
    The loss depends on the person, at the end of the day! :) I wasn't looking for a debate on whether or not you can XD haha.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Agreed that it definately depends on a lot of things. :happy:
  • hthrld
    hthrld Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking 4 Liters of water per day for a while now.
  • belandir
    belandir Posts: 1 Member
    Options

It really only becomes toxic if you do not release water through urine and sweat. You can't just drink it and keep it in. Yes as stated above take your weight and divide by two.[/quote]

I'm seeing a LOT of dangerous medical advice here. Yes you can just drink it and keep it in. The kidneys can only excrete so much per hour and if you're exceeding that you will retain it and it will leak into your interstitial spaces causing edema. The rate is determined by the health of your kidneys (GFR). The GREATER risk is what several have posted above; that you will wash out necessary electrolytes like Potassium, which in only a slightly high or low level can cause cardiac arrhythmia's, which can be either mild or deadly depending on your cardiac health. That's the reason when you take diuretics you have to either increase your dietary intake of potassium or take a KCLOR supplement under the supervision of an MD. You can replace lost sodium from drinking Gatorade/powerade but NOT potassium.
    Of course drinking 120-150oz or so of water in a day will not have these effects but it's dangerous to tell people to drink gallons and gallons of water per day without understanding the effects or knowing a persons health conditions (chronic/acute kidney dysfunction?). That recommendation should come from and MD or RDN not the internets.
  • LokiGrrl
    LokiGrrl Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I'm deficient in sodium due to a medical condition and I'm also on a diuretic for another medical condition, as well as doing keto - my electrolytes are FUBAR unless I monitor them. My favorite electrolyte liquid is water with lime juice and salt, or Topo Chico with a squeeze of lime (negligible sugar and carbs for both, and if you use TrueLime crystals, none). Over time I've learned that when I'm all electrolyted up the salt begins to taste bitter, so then I switch to plain water until I start wanting salt again. I have a water app on my phone that makes a cute little noise every 20 minutes to remind me to drink, otherwise I'll forget and then it's two hours later and I'm cranky and dry and can't think straight and hate the world. Also, please remember that 1g of edible salt =/= 1g of sodium. Table salt has a different sodium level from kosher salt or sea salt or those fancy colored salts that some people like.

A 32 oz bottle is too bulky for me. I work in 20 oz bottles left over from my former Vitamin Water habit. I fill them about 1/3 of the way and them put them on their sides in the freezer, then when that's frozen I fill them up from the filter dispenser thingie on the fridge and don't have to mess with ice. I like my water cold, LOL. The water app, which probably goes by the formula others have suggested above, tells me to drink about 95 oz a day and I make that goal about once a week (yeah I need to work on it). Over the course of 16 hours there is no danger in this, unless you have a medical condition that makes you susceptible to water intoxication (see your doc for testing if you are worried about it).

I was always told as a kid that if you haven't had anything to drink for a long time, you shouldn't drink too fast, or you'll get water cramps. I have no idea if this is true or not, but it's habit of mine to drink slowly if I'm feeling dry, even though I want to drink all of the water.

My last caveat is that recreational drug use will throw another monkey wrench in the works, and I'm not going to pass judgment on that, but if you're going to do it (general you, not specific you), please take time to read some of the drug-use forums that I know about from my job but will not link here (don't freak out, I work in medical records and often have to look up street names of drugs).
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    Umm, does this thread win zombie thread of the year??

It was dead for over 4 years. :o
  • LauraGrove1
    LauraGrove1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I drink 1 1/2 or more gallons a day. It's rare to overhydrate. If you aren't drinking so much because of diabetes then you should be fine. You might possibly want to add electrolytes, I do about every week or so because of my workouts, if you find that you are dehydrating even while drinking what you are.
  • JasonL2000
    JasonL2000 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I find I feel better if I drink at least 2 liters of water a day. I aim for 3 liters. If I'm sweating a lot I end up drinking up to 4 liters of water. However I have had a day or two where I felt thirsty a lot and drank 4 liters of water but I started to feel worse and think I may have drank a little more than I needed for that day.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I drink when I'm thirsty. This could end up being 1 liter or 5. No need to complicate things. Water will not magically make you lose weight. It's for hydration. The reason you are not seeing results is because you are eating more than you think and no amount of water will fix that.

How much water is too much? Force-consuming water is unnecessary and only complicates a simple thing. There is no good reason to force-consume liquids until you gag unless you are doing it for medical reasons (bladder stones for example).
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    vade43113 wrote: »

Normal weight loss is an ongoing thing that keeps going as long as you are in a calorie deficit. It does not wait for your water weight to be gone.

Edit: eh, did not notice it was a zombie thread. What's up with these today?
  • nch5013
    nch5013 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    vade43113 wrote: »
    Wow. Do you just sit on the toilet all day too? I drink a lot of liquids but that sounds like a lot. It's usually recommended that you drink 64oz a day, other then that just drink when you're thirsty not because someone told you drinking 4 gallons of water a day will make you lose weight.

4 1/2 gallons... so it only makes 2 gallons.

and the main reason I am doing that is to stop drinking so much pop... but I found the less pop I drank the more water I downed... strange.

Somone just told me that if I continued, I should loose 10 pound in the first week

So of course the kick the ever dead horse already, the electrolytes and sodium especially (sodium --> hyponatremia) are the main things to watch for when drinking too much water. The fall in extracellular osmolality causes water to move into brain cells, in extreme cases. This causes them to swell which increases the overall pressure in the brain. This can cause stroke, coma, and death - even brain stem herniation which is ultimately death. The electrolytes, like someone mentioned can throw potassium and calcium channels out of whack which can cause cramping, and arrhythmias. But those are in the extreme cases of excessive water consumption, especially over a short period of time.

So as long as you have no headaches, nausea, heart palpitations, etc you should be fine. Now I wouldn't keep pushing it. You'll hit a point where you just feel better with the amount you're drinking. For me I'm right around the 128-160 range. Typically, I drink about 144oz/8hr period. It will vary depending on your lifestyle. I wouldn't worry about the drink when you're thirsty, drink til your pee is light...if you feel better, just keep doing what you're doing.

And I think the whole drink more water lose more weight is tied in a little with lipase activation. It mobilizes fat so that your body can be rid of it. I'm sure that it has a diminishing return at some point, however.

---> Not sure your medical background, but if it is safe, i.e not a type 1 diabetic, etc, check out Keto. I hate to be one of those that throws what I'm doing out there, but I've got a body that likes to hold weight. Keto has been about the only thing that has worked for me, and isn't miserable to do!

Anyway, I'd say if you've been drinking that much for this long...7 years now :smiley: and you're still kickin, keep doing it because it obviously isn't hurting you! Hopefully you found some more modes to help with the weight loss you were seeking!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Wow. A zombie thread from 2012, resurrected in 2016 has a third life in 2019. This must be a record.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I love the idea that OP has been doing this for 7 years but needs to switch to keto. 2019 rocks. Sorry 2012. (Pretty sure 2005 was huge Atkins, though. 7 year waves.)