Transitioning to Veganism/plant based?

Options
I have been thinking about this for several months and I feel in my heart I need to do this. It isnt just to be healthier it is a moral thing as well. I need advice on how to go from standard American diet to vegan. I have already started using vegan products and such that isn't food related but I thought it may be harder with food. Any help on dealing with an husband who down right hates this is also appropriated!

Replies

• meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Thanks that is my biggest concern that he will think I am going to change him. It's more of a personal thing. I want to leave less of a foot print as well which will effect him but I figure I can ease into it
  • meeper123
    Options
    No I dont want to push my beliefs on him
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Maybe start with vegetarian and go from there.

As far as your husband goes, are you wanting him to do this as well? Because that would be a big no way for me...that's not something you can force on other people.

I have never ever ever heard of it going well someone goes vegan and insists their partner join them. It seems like conflict, deception, and frustration are the most likely outcomes there.

I do know several people who never thought they would be vegan who eventually enthusiastically joined their vegan partners because they were given time and space to make their own decision, but it's not something that you can (or should) count on.
  • meeper123
    Options
    I have been doing the 1 meal at a time thing so far breakfast but I think I'll do a meal prep to make a no brainer :)
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    I just recently transitioned to a more plant based diet with maybe seafood once a week. My husband and kids are omni. I'm not going to change them but I may introduce things to them they may enjoy. Forcing someone to do anything will probably be met with resistance.
  • meeper123
    Options
    I plan on doing this with love and kindness which I feel the true soul of vegan is. I don't want to have animal products in my life at all. Plus he is very worried about the cost
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    meeper123 wrote: »
    I plan on doing this with love and kindness which I feel the true soul of vegan is. I don't want to have animal products in my life at all. Plus he is very worried about the cost

I'm transitioning to a more plant based, pescetarian woe and it's not any more expensive to eat this way-just be mindful of fresh produce, which can be expensive if it's out of season. I use a lot of frozen veg/fruit this time of year which is cheap. Do you have an Aldi nearby? They are a gold mine for cheap fresh and frozen produce! They also have the most amazing sprouted grains bread, I believe it's vegan? It's $2.50 a loaf, which is a lot cheaper than any other comparable brand

I do all the cooking in my house and it's not a big deal to make different meals. Tonight I made my family homemade (pepperoni and bacon) pizzas and then I had a roasted potato/mushroom bowl with a side of baked beans. I prepped everything at the same time and we still sat down together. I'm also big on pre-prepping-the bacon for the pizzas was leftovers from their supper last night, I cut a lot of my veggies ahead of time, I make a big batch of rice on Mondays to use throughout the week etc. There's a learning curve, but it's not too difficult once you get the hang of it :)
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options

The cost of being vegan vs. not being vegan depends a lot on what you used to eat, and what you eat now. You can spend a lot of money on expensive vegan proteins and other products, just as you can spend a lot of money on expensive meat and cheese. But staple foods like tofu, TVP, dried beans, dried pasta, some grains, and some canned/frozen/fresh veggies are cheap. You can also buy wheat gluten to make your own seitan, which is a lot cheaper than buying it prepackaged. There's no reason why being vegan has to be any more expensive than not being vegan, and some people even find that it's cheaper. It just depends on your diet.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options

It seems to me that if your partner is going to be in your life, animal products will come with him. I agree with the suggestion to have some serious (and loving) conversations. Good luck.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options

If you are willing to put in the prep time, cost won't be an issue. For example, dried beans are extremely economical. Rice and (dried) beans are staples in some poor countries. I cook beans overnight in my crock pot; no presoaking required. Others here love making beans in their InstaPots.

Here we discuss making seitan from scratch: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/43108554/#Comment_43108554

• nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    @meeper123 check out PCRM and their 21 day kick start. Gives you all the tools you need to get started.
  • meeper123
    Options
    Ooo nice I want to make so much as I can alone and while I may sample a few products here and there I plan on mostly whole foods
  • meeper123
    Options
    @nowine4me sounds exactly the thing! Thanks!!
  • apullum
    Options
    Do you have a crock pot? I use mine to cook dried beans, which I freeze. I also make and freeze spaghetti sauce and vegan chili in it, and it’s great for soups/stews.

You and your husband may want to brainstorm meals that are “accidentally” vegan, or have easy vegan and non-vegan options. Spaghetti with marinara is one. He can add cheese and/or meatballs to his. Burgers are another. You can make and freeze your own veggie burgers (I like the black bean burgers from Veganomicon) if you don’t like any of the prepackaged ones. He can have meat patties and you can have veggie patties.
  • meeper123
    Options
    That's a wonderful idea he likes veggie burgers actually
  • apullum
    Options
    That's a wonderful idea he likes veggie burgers actually

Here's the recipe I use: https://www.seattletimes.com/life/food-drink/recipe-vegan-black-bean-burgers/

Soups and sandwiches might also be things you can agree on. Tomato or other veggie soups are nice and low calorie. For sandwiches, he can have cold cuts or whatever else he wants, while you have veggies, hummus, marinated tofu/tempeh, etc. If he'll eat salads, then you can have a variety of salad toppings and dressings. He can put meat, eggs, cheese, dairy-based dressings, etc. on his if he wants.