Frequency of exercise type for best results.

Options
Hello! Starting to get into fitness, and was looking for ideas to get me started on a workout routine. My goals are to improve on my cardio to improve my asthma, increase my flexibility and core strength to improve my posture, and overall increase my muscle tone throughout my body.

How frequently would you all say I should work out to see the best results? I know I need to be able to rotate a few different types of exercise in my routine such as stretching/yoga, cardio, and strength training to achieve my goals. How frequently should each of these happen? How do you incorporate these into your routine?

I would say I'm still a beginner in exercise, as I tend to start working out for a few months at a time and quit and start again. Life tends to get in the way, and I lose my motivation... Maybe some tips on how to stay motivated when you're in terrible shape may be helpful as well, lol.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    start with some kind of cardio that you like to do....get a minimum of 150 minutes per week of moderate cardio (general recommendation for cardiovascular health)...do some resistance training 2-3x per week full body...do some yoga on recovery days.

i do way more cardio than 150 minutes per week, but that's because of specific fitness goals...i lift 2-3x per week and do some yoga usually once per week on an active recovery day.

Monday: Cycle 60-90 minutes AM/lift PM
    Tuesday: Cycle 60-90 minutes
    Wednesday: Cycle 60-90 minutes AM/lift PM
    Thursday: Cycle 60-90 minutes
    Friday: rest day/yoga after work usually
    Saturday: Cycle to the gym and lift though Saturday often turns into full blown errands or yard work day.
    Sunday: Cycle 120 - 240 minutes depending...this is best case scenario and sometimes I'm lucky to get in 60. I'm far more disciplined in my long rides when i'm actively training for an event.

also, i'm likely to switch up one of my days of cycling for swimming in the summer or doing some elliptical work in the winter when i just don't feel like riding in the cold or it's snowing or something.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Start with short sessions that you can handle, 15-30 min. If you take a class, ask for guidance on how the most difficult exercises can be modified for someone at your fitness level. Most classes I've had are geared to challenge the most fit people and cannot be done as set up by a beginner. Every exercise can be modified and you can always stop and take a break if you need to. You might feel weird doing this at first, but it's YOUR health, your body, your fitness that matters, not anyone else. If you do your best at whatever level you're currently at, you will see improvements, and for me that's the key to staying motivated.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    Thank You!
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    Good advice given already. As far as this part: "Maybe some tips on how to stay motivated when you're in terrible shape may be helpful as well, lol.", just remember that if you KEEP going and keep working then you won't be a beginner and out of shape for very long. Everyone has to start somewhere. Whatever exercises and programs you implement make sure they are sustainable long-term and can be modified as your physical ability improves, because it WILL if you just stick with it.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    Advice to 2016 me: Just do what you can find the time and energy to do and go from there. 15 minutes of SOMETHING twice a week is better then NOTHING. As you get better you can add on to what you can do. Set some solid goals of things you want to do, and do the excercises needed to work towards them.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,263 Member
    Options
    You are smart to think in terms of what your goals are because it already looks like you will have a varied workout schedule. I find that doing something to change things up makes a big difference in my motivation. Having said that, I go whether or not I am motivated to do it because it's a deal I made with myself. If I only worked out when I was motivated, it wouldn't happen nearly as often as it should...

I added a strength training program about 3 months ago, and now I'm seeing the early results with my swimming and trail running (one of my goals!). I enjoy lifting because unlike swimming laps, it's always changing as I move from one lift to the next. Trail running gives me time in the forest, time with my sister, and a great workout for the weekend. Swimming is something I want to have in my skillset as I get older, so I am always working on technique and endurance. Water X class is great interval training, endurance, some resistance, non impact. Keep changing it up! You'll be more inclined to stick with a program that you like doing, because even though I like doing all of those things, there are any number of factors that drive my motivation to do them to plummet. ;)
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,605 Member
    Options
    Biggest motivation for me is working out with my friends. We do a myzone class 2-3 times per week and it’s much more enjoyable with friends! Also, want to stay motivated to work out when you totally don’t feel like it? Hire a trainer!!! Nothing gets your butt off the couch quite like knowing you’ll be charged for the session whether you show up or not!

Actually, since you are a beginner exerciser, it will help to work with a trainer 2 times a week. He or she can guide you through a program, keep it interesting, and most of all make sure you’re doing your exercises with proper form!

I am a former personal trainer with ACE, and I go bananas when I see people at the gym doing all these exercises with lousy form. Great way to injure yourself!