Trying this exercise thing.

Hi all. I'm new to this calorie counting business. Before I had my 2nd son I would workout with my friend. We killed it in the gym. However, I was put on bed rest while pregnant and now I am the heaviest I've ever been. Im trying to teach myself how to eat healthier and all that good stuff. Sometimes it gets too overwhelming though. And tips and ideas??

Replies

• JSkye10
    JSkye10 Posts: 3 Member
    I meant calorie counting thing... lol 🤦‍♀️
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Take it slow, do what you can handle. When I got started, I paid no attention to macros, just focused on calories. I also ran a less-aggressive deficit than I could have (at 114 lbs overweight, I could've gone 2lbs per week, but I decided that 1lb would be more my speed). My exercise was a daily 25-minute minimum walk, and if I couldn't get outside, then 20 minutes on the glider in the basement. Other than that? Keep homemade desserts to 200 calories or fewer per serving.

Over time, I started paying more attention to protein and iron, upped my walking time, added strength training... but it's been a slow progression. This isn't a race and it's not a sprint. Take your time, go at your own pace, but keep moving in the right direction.

You've got this.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    One more thing: for best accuracy, get a kitchen scale. Measuring cups are great for liquids, but when it comes to solids, grams rule. (Not to say that you won't lose without a kitchen scale. But as you get closer to goal weight, your margin for error shrinks and if you're off by 50-100 calories on various items throughout the day, you could wipe out your deficit without meaning to.)
  • JSkye10
    JSkye10 Posts: 3 Member
    Thank you very much :smile:
    You got this too!!