Quitting my gym!

Options
oh no! I'm moving flat, and there isn't a gym anywhere close enough, and I don't drive. I need to kit myself out so that I still go running, with some improvised training (friend does kickboxing classes). As the nights draw in and it gets colder, any recommended kit for running in the cold/rain and potentially snow at some point?!

Replies

• JohnGym
    JohnGym Posts: 34
    Options
    Get a barbell instead. Fat loss is so much easier when diet is combined with weight training rather than cardio.

I never ever do any cardio.
  • martinh78
    martinh78 Posts: 601
    Options
    Get a barbell instead. Fat loss is so much easier when diet is combined with weight training rather than cardio.

Interested in this.

I have an indoor rower and that is good for cardio and seems to be building muscle. But I did have a couple of days at the gym last week (free pass) and did some weight training. I have no idea how many calories I burned, but do know I enjoyed the buzz (if not the aches!) and want to build more muscle.

In answer to the original question, forget wet/cold weather gear and buy a rowing machine :p
  • sara709
    sara709 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Anything by Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred, Banish Fat, No More Trouble Zones, Yoga Meltdown, etc.
    They're intense. They combine weight training, cardio and ab work. All you need is a mat and some hand weights from Walmart. You can buy the videos anywhere or you can download illegally online :O
    A friend of mine has been doing those every day and eating well and she's lost 25lbs in the past 5 months. I've been doing them for the past few weeks. If you're diligent with it, you'll start seeing results almost immediately, I promise!
  • AlyBelden
    Options
    How about kettlebells? I just started using them a couple months ago with my trainer, and they are great. You can get your heart rate up and build muscle. Plus they are small and easy to store away.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    oh no! I'm moving flat, and there isn't a gym anywhere close enough, and I don't drive. I need to kit myself out so that I still go running, with some improvised training (friend does kickboxing classes). As the nights draw in and it gets colder, any recommended kit for running in the cold/rain and potentially snow at some point?!

You need layering for running in the cold and wet. Make sure your shoes are waterproof. A light waterproof jacket. Water wicking clothes underneath that. If you're running any distance, you'll find you need to shed as you go.

How cold is it where you'll be?
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options

I am very interested in this, how does one loose weight without cardio?
  • JohnGym
    Options

I am very interested in this, how does one loose weight without cardio?

Well, this could run and run, however, lets start with the basics.

* Weight training is exercise, just like cardio, so it burns calories at the gym.

*Weight training has an after effect which cardio doesn't, which spikes the metabolism for several hours after the exercise has stopped, therefore burning more calories than the same duration of cardio does.

*Lean tissue is built lifting weight. Lean tissue requires more calories to maintain so your BMR is permanently increased. Which means you burn more fat at rest.

*Cardio catabolises muscle which ultimately lowers your BMR making it much easier to overeat and gain fat. Weight training does the exact opposite.

I never do cardio.

One final thing. It isn't exercise which enables fat loss. It is correct diet. You can not out exercise a bad diet.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Oh to the OP - one of those headlights - the kind you get for camping? - is very helpful too.
  • spyork
    spyork Posts: 187
    Options
    I would get a barbell and some stretch bands and do cardio on the weekend. If you want to do cardio, try Yoga. I love to be outdoors at night in winter, but i'm just strange.
  • greekygirl
    greekygirl Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Well, this could run and run, however, lets start with the basics.

* Weight training is exercise, just like cardio, so it burns calories at the gym.

*Weight training has an after effect which cardio doesn't, which spikes the metabolism for several hours after the exercise has stopped, therefore burning more calories than the same duration of cardio does.

*Lean tissue is built lifting weight. Lean tissue requires more calories to maintain so your BMR is permanently increased. Which means you burn more fat at rest.

*Cardio catabolises muscle which ultimately lowers your BMR making it much easier to overeat and gain fat. Weight training does the exact opposite.

I never do cardio.

One final thing. It isn't exercise which enables fat loss. It is correct diet. You can not out exercise a bad diet.

I totally agree with this! I lost most of my 45 lb weight loss doing strength training and weight lifting dvds. I only do cardio here and there to mix it up. :)
  • GypsyWagon
    GypsyWagon Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I just found a great bit about rainy day training http://kcossaboon.hubpages.com/hub/TipsforRunningintheRain

HTH!
  • lmaharj
    lmaharj Posts: 82 Member
    Options

Cold muscles are more prone to injury than are warm muscles. How is it that you've gotten away with not doing ANY cardio?
  • pitbullmama
    pitbullmama Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options

While I agree with weight training, I also believe cardio has much more benefits than just fat loss alone.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Cardio has it's benefits in endurance so stick to it. Weight lifting also has benefits in defining muscles and will burn calories as well. A mix is best. I agree with running when the weather permits and using videos when it is not good....dance your butt off too if you are a music person ;)
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    How much lean muscle mass will you really be adding in a calorie deficit? I mean aside from the initial bit when you are completely untrained. Also, cardio has health benefits and is correlated with a longer life... So why does one or the other have to be all you do?
  • klewis81
    klewis81 Posts: 122
    Options
    Definitely run outside, even in cold weather. Unless it is below 15-20 degrees, you will be fine with some leggings, fleece jacket and a hat. Once you get warmed up, you will find that you heat up pretty fast. For those really cold and/or rainy days, I suggest investing in some exercise videos that combine strength exercises (weights) and cardio. I believe the correct term is "circuit training". Jillian Michaels is the best known trainer but there are MANY other options and some I have found to burn more calories and be more difficult than Jillian's ever-popular 30 Day Shred. All you need are some light dumbells (5 lb-ish) and about a 6' x 6' space (if you are on the Metric system like the rest of the world, I can't help too much).
  • twistedsista0408
    Options
    I've been hearing about weight training and have steered clear because I don't want huge arm muscles. I won the bowflex in the divorce, so I guess I'll start using it LOL. Seriously, my son uses it every day and he's sharp :).
  • JohnGym
    Options

While I agree with weight training, I also believe cardio has much more benefits than just fat loss alone.

Sure, cardio has other benefits. This is a weight loss forum though. The most efficient way to lose fat is to sort one's diet out and lift heavy (relatively) weights.

The least efficient way is to do lots of steady state cardio, due to the sacrifices the body makes to lean tissue and therefore BMR when a lot of cardio is performed.
  • JohnGym
    Options
    How much lean muscle mass will you really be adding in a calorie deficit? I mean aside from the initial bit when you are completely untrained. Also, cardio has health benefits and is correlated with a longer life... So why does one or the other have to be all you do?

The point isn't necessarily about adding lean mass, it is about maintaining lean tissue in a calorie deficit which will maintain your BMR.

Just doing cardio whilst in a calorie deficit has catastrophic consequences on your BMR. You lose your muscle and end up 'skinnyfat'