Busy Gym Frustration

Options
2»

Replies

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    As much as Planet Fitness gets made fun of I joined one close to my office just to use the treadmills when the weather is too rotten to run outside (and use their showers when I bike in the summer) and I have not had to wait for a machine yet. (and it's only $10 a month)

I did the exact same thing lol. I'm thinking of coming into work early and then going to PF on my lunch break instead of after or before work.

I actually have a home gym but it's out of commission for a while because my husband is finishing our basement and it's a mess down there
  • ldigeorge
    ldigeorge Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    rsignorenc wrote: »
    Be flexible with your workout plans, perhaps try something new if the equipment you want to use it busy. You may find a new exercise. Everyone was a newbie at one time or another.

I’m not even complaining about newbies. At all. As I said in the OP, I’m glad they’re there.

It’s hard for me, as a dad of two, to carve out other time. It’s not equipment. It’s parking. I can’t even get in!

It’s rough right now. I’m hoping everyone stays, but the times equalize out.

• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    ldigeorge wrote: »
    Be flexible with your workout plans, perhaps try something new if the equipment you want to use it busy. You may find a new exercise. Everyone was a newbie at one time or another.

I’m not even complaining about newbies. At all. As I said in the OP, I’m glad they’re there.

It’s hard for me, as a dad of two, to carve out other time. It’s not equipment. It’s parking. I can’t even get in!

It’s rough right now. I’m hoping everyone stays, but the times equalize out.

Do you have anything preventing early morning? I was at the gym by 5 AM so I could be home by 530 PM for full evening of avtivities.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options

Yeeaahhh sometimes one can do an exercise that is similar but not what you wanted in the first place to replace something in the plan, but when it's super busy even doing that gets difficult! And some of us can be a bit pedantic about our plans and doing what it says on there!

Anyway, I also have a bit of a love/hate relationship with January - I love the fact that all these new people are giving fitness a go and wanting to get healthy etc etc, but i HATE my gym being full and me having to wait for stuff or swap the order of my exercises around because stuff is taken so I end up doing like a finisher exercise before a big lift exercise (UGH!!!!), or have to wait for showers because women are *kitten* washing their hair in there for like 20 minutes (wash your hair at home!!!! argh!!).

I work out at lunchtime and it's a university gym so we have 2 busy periods. January is when staff get all keen on health and March is when students return and get all keen on health. I've found though that it only lasts about a month each time and then it goes back to normal and the usual regulars plus a few who actually stuck it out.

December is BLISS - hardly anyone there only the full on regulars.

I LOVE an empty gym!!
  • evilokc
    evilokc Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    it was probably the "spring break" people that ran me out of the gym during normal hours. ive been going at 5am for a long time now. its hard to get up at 430 but the gym is a great place at that time and I can spend all my evening time after work with my family. everyone wins..except me at 430am.
  • ImSoSquishy
    ImSoSquishy Posts: 57 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    at the gym i go to, it seems like people have already started to quit or maybe they switched to different time. the new members that's been crowding the gym since december during the time i go to gym is down by half already and stopped showing up for 5 days already,
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was horrible, but today was wonderful! Just the right amount of people hahahaha!
  • JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I go to a small local gym. So far hasn't gotten busy at all there. Was there Monday from about 5 to 6pm which is peak hour for gyms, and only saw another 4-5 people there during. Went same time today, a bit busier than Monday, but not by much.
    The gym does have an expensive registration fee, though, so I guess people aren't joining unless they're certain they'll stick to going for more than a few months.
  • blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    My gym tends to be busier on Monday and Tuesday mornings (5am) overall and although I haven't noticed a vast increase in numbers this year at that time, I've noticed more gym newbies who have previously just done classes. They get all the equipment they need for their entire workout, pile it up next to them and then work (slowly) through their exercise plan. Its so frustrating when you need a set of dumbbells that someone has in their pile, and when you ask if they need them right now its always 'will be using them in a minute'. Ten minutes later they still haven't been used! Not sure of etiquette about insisting on being able to use them?

This morning was lovely and peaceful - just the 'usual' half dozen 5am nutters there
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    As much as Planet Fitness gets made fun of I joined one close to my office just to use the treadmills when the weather is too rotten to run outside (and use their showers when I bike in the summer) and I have not had to wait for a machine yet. (and it's only $10 a month)

There's one up the road from my office and I've been thinking about doing the same...one of the ladies here at the office goes at lunch and says it isn't too bad...her husband goes after work and it sounds pretty awful, but I would be going at lunch on cruddy days to do cardio.

My only complaint, so far, is that they seem to be short on lockers......
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    I keep waiting for the flood. It’s a drought year so far. Just us regulars with a smattering of new folk using the cardio machines or the smith. :smile: