CorePower Yoga Sculpt Calories?

Options
Hi,

Has anyone wore a heart rate monitor during a CorePower Yoga Sculpt class, or any yoga sculpt class? I'm getting an HRM soon but it won't come until XMAS... help!

BTW - I'm 5'3" / 150 lbs

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    An HRM isn't designed to track activities such as Yoga. The calorie estimation wouldn't even be remotely accurate for tracking.

You'd be better off guesstimating somewhere around 250 per hour for something like this.
  • ChickenPioPio
    ChickenPioPio Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have also been wondering about CorePower Yoga Sculpt classes. My google searches are finding nothing. It is far more intense than regular yoga. What do other people log it as?
  • keri0722
    keri0722 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have an Apple Watch and it logs me (5'2, 110 lbs) right around 300 active calories for the hour. Total calories are around 400 burned. Apple watches are the only ones that separate active calories.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    An HRM isn't designed to track activities such as Yoga. The calorie estimation wouldn't even be remotely accurate for tracking.

You'd be better off guesstimating somewhere around 250 per hour for something like this.

^Agreed. HRMs are for steady state cardio. I'd just log it under yoga and if you end up losing too fast, then adjust by adding 50-100 calories manually to the burn it gives you.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,509 Member
    Options
    keri0722 wrote: »
    I have an Apple Watch and it logs me (5'2, 110 lbs) right around 300 active calories for the hour. Total calories are around 400 burned. Apple watches are the only ones that separate active calories.
    Overestimated. Yoga is an anaerobic exercise. HRM's count heart rate and just because one is breathing hard, it doesn't necessarily equate to high calorie burn. Go to a scary place or watch a scary movie. You'd be shocked at how many calories it says you burned....................sitting.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i would log it as power or ashtanga yoga
  • keri0722
    keri0722 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Overestimated. Yoga is an anaerobic exercise. HRM's count heart rate and just because one is breathing hard, it doesn't necessarily equate to high calorie burn. Go to a scary place or watch a scary movie. You'd be shocked at how many calories it says you burned....................sitting.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Have you been to a yoga sculpt class? It's a bit of a misnomer, it's closer to a bootcamp class with some yoga poses thrown in for good measure.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Have you been to a yoga sculpt class? It's a bit of a misnomer, it's closer to a bootcamp class with some yoga poses thrown in for good measure.

An HRM would overestimate a boot camp class as well. His point stands.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Bootcamp =/= steady state cardio though.
  • sarahlchu
    sarahlchu Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I used an Apple Watch during my last YogaSculpt class at CorePowerYoga! Active calories burned is 428CAL and Total is 527CAL. Hope that helps!
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    The words "yoga" and "intense" should not be used together. I doubt you burn any more than 250 calories in a hour.
  • lazylaurenmarie
    lazylaurenmarie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    lol at Trigden1991. Why not? The class uses light weights, 3lbs to 10 lbs (your choice) 75% of the time. Numerous reps. Some of these reps are done in yoga poses. Room temp is between 92 and 95 degrees. It is intense. Take a class and you most likely will take back your assumption.
  • LeoT0917
    LeoT0917 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    The words "yoga" and "intense" should not be used together. I doubt you burn any more than 250 calories in a hour.

Try the first 40 minutes of P90X's Yoga X and come back to give us your opinion about the intensity.
  • funnyjello01
    funnyjello01 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm a yoga sculpt teacher for Core Power and have used a fitbit in class when I'm taking (not teaching) sculpt. I'm 5'4" and 120 pounds and burn on average 400-500 calories a class. Hope this helps!
  • AmosCruz
    AmosCruz Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Awesome...just getting started tracking my data. I’ll crest an entry for YogaSculpt and log it at 400 calories.
  • emshaines
    emshaines Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yep! I am 5'2 and 115 and my apple watch logged 360 cals. Here is a video of Yoga Sculpt I found, for those interested in how strenuous it is. It is more like ashtanga yoga. It's also performed in a heated room so lots of sweating involved!