At HOME exercise?

Options
I need some advice on any exercise that I can do at home. i can't afford a gym or any equipment, but I need to work out to loose weight. I have the 30 day shred video , but I would like to mix it up and have enough exercise for an hour a day. Any help would be great!

Replies

• nibor
    nibor Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Get out and WALK!!! I started in January and I'm down 45 lbs! I've only recently added biking to my workouts. Another idea, get a hula hoop! Works wonders on the "tummy".:smile:
  • mampm1
    mampm1 Posts: 88
    Options
    You might be able to afford these: Resistance bands. They provide a great workout. Check out your local sporting goods or department store. If that fails Amazon sells them as well...may be less expensive there, including the shipping!
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Jump rope and Hula Hoop im gonna get me one. Videos , basic exercise, jumping jacks, sit ups, leg lifts dance the day away
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Do you own rollerblades or a bike? 30 minutes of cardio afterwards will help lower your soreness and would be great to help you achieve your 60 mins/day goal. Even just walking or running would be great. Rollerblading though is AWESOME for the thighs and booty!
  • brianna819
    brianna819 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thats great! I do need to walk, I have a two year old that refuses to be in a stroller so she may slow me down a bit, but that is just an excuse!
  • MindyBlack
    MindyBlack Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    I jog my stairs for half an hour every morning, then do "8 minutes in the morning" for strength then follow it up with about 20 minutes of yoga. It works well for me. On the cooler mornings we have had lately i have been jogging around my block instead of the stairs.
    I'll never do the gym thing, I just can't afford it and the time it would take just to get there doesn't work for me. The trick is to find what works best for you. Good luck.
  • selfdiscipline73
    selfdiscipline73 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I just read an article about Jennifer Hudson's weight loss and she said one of the things that she does is called "The Trilogy". It is 25 squats, 25 pushups and 25 ab moves. Then you rest for one minute, then repeat this sequence for at least 15 minutes. Sounds like a good old fashioned workout that is free!
  • CaptainMFP
    CaptainMFP Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    All of the above advice is good. If you're interested in strength training at home, I really like the 100 push-ups program and its sister programs (200 sit ups, etc.), all of which can be accessed via http://hundredpushups.com. It's a great strength routine even if you don't want to really get to 100, and it's very flexible. I just completed 200 sit ups today (did one set of 210) and I'll be repeating week 2 of the push-ups program this week. I needed to do week 1 3 times and now it will be week 2 twice, but I'm seeing real progress. All you need is some floor space!
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Hi Brianna819, walking is good. If you can't do outdoor walking, try doing indoor walking. Leslie Sansone has some good Walk Away The Pounds workouts.

If you have cable and On Demand,call your cable company and ask them if they carry ExerciseTv. Most cable companies don't. ExericseTV have a lot of free workouts on their website. This is the link http://www.exercisetv.tv/workout-videos/all/?videotype=free-full-length

I own some of their dvds. I haven't worked out to one of the workouts online.
  • Emilycaldwell420
    Emilycaldwell420 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I do jillians 30 day shred level 1, then do level 2, then do level 3 right in a row. Talk about wanting to die, but thats an hour!!! I warm up in level 1 then skip level 2 and 3 warmups and just go right to the strength. I don't do that every day obviously! I love all jillians videos and they are $9.46 each at my walmart. Her banish fat boost metabolism uses no weights but is a tough workout if you dont have money to buy weights. Try borrowing workout dvds from your local library or getting a book from the library on excersizing,thats free! I used my pots and pans as weights for a while when i couldn't afford weights and was saving up for them. I agree with other suggestions such as squats, lunges, pushups. Use your child as a weight and do chest presses, situps, bridges, squats etc with him/her...i've done that too and my kids laugh and laugh!
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I would just like to add in addition to all the suggestions above...If you have Netflix they offer quite a few workouts. You can get them either on dvd or streaming.
  • sandi228
    sandi228 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I didn't want to pay for a gym and found out that I could go to my local high school from 5:30-7:30 and use the weight room and cardio room for free.... I love free. I also walk the neighborhood, or the track at the park or the school. I found a free manual treadmill, that's small that I use as well in the house. I have exercise bands and bought a small set of barbells in 3, 5 and 8lbs. I also use the Wii Fit. Anytime you get moving and keep moving you are making a difference. You don't need a gym membership to lose weight. I also lucked out that there's a gym where I work that is free as well. Good luck and keep going, just playing with your 2 yr old is exercise as well.
  • FaithsVegWorkout
    Options
    If you have stairs, run and up and down them. Do knee lifts and left lifts on the bottom stair. Resistance bands are great for all kinds of exercises. A jump rope or jumping jacks are great to get the heart rate up.
  • theba2il
    theba2il Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    *If you have NetFlix...they have fitness dvds
    *Library...fitness books or dvds
    *Fitnessmagazine.com
  • selfdiscipline73
    selfdiscipline73 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Our church offers a $5 a year membership for their indoor track and fitness room. And you don't have to be a member. Maybe a church in your area has something like that. Also, if you go to Beachbody.com and look for local fit clubs there may be a free or cheap workout club in your area. Good luck with your journey!
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Make it a habit of doing something if you watch TV, like hula hoop or crunches on the fitness ball.
  • kasmir8199
    kasmir8199 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    My brother (a personal trainer) once created a full body workout for me that only required me to make 20 lbs sandbags. It's intense, but, much like JM's DVDs, you can get it done in under 30 minutes.

Reps of 10 / Sets of 4

"#1
    Squats*
    Swings*
    Overhead Presses*
    Bent-over Rows*

Lunges*
    Swings*
    Pushups
    Planks (hold 60 sec)
    Inchworms

You can basically be doing them every other day, or even more frequently if you feel up to it. Remember they take such a short amount of time relative to the benefits you get from them, so it's worth putting in that extra effort to do them.

It is also a great idea to do other activities such as walking, jogging, jumping rope or any type of martial arts training you want to/ can do. Again, it takes so little time for such great benefits."

*Do these with the sandbags (or lighter dumbbells).

NOTE: alternate between #1 and #2 from day to day (don't do both #1 and #2 in one day!). Give yourself 1-2 days of rest (non-consecutive). Rest is important. :)

Hope this helps!
  • valerieschram
    valerieschram Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Check out Craigslist for used exercise equipment. I bought a used elliptical machine for $75. It is very basic. I have had it for about 3 years now. It still works fine and gets the job done.
  • katemiddletonisawesome
    Options
    If you have Netflix, you can watch exercise videos on streaming and they're unlimited. I highly recommend Sara Ivanhoe's Candlelight Yoga. It's SOOOO relaxing and really allows you to stretch without getting "yogi-fied".