High BP/High Cholesterol: Please share tips and wisdom!

Options
Hi!

I'm 20lbs overweight and moderately active. Unrelated to wanting to lose those 20lbs, I've been having issues dealing with high bp (mostly diet related, but boosted by genetic predisposition), and high cholesterol.

I've had NO symptoms after switching to a lower sodium, vegetarian (ovo-lacto) diet, and I'd like to keep that up, eventually bring meat back in the picture but in MUCH smaller quantities and much less frequently.

Has anyone else had luck dropping bp, cholesterol, or both through diet? Please share. This is a big deal for me considering high bp runs in my family, and my mother has had 2 strokes before the age of 50. I don't want that life.

Replies

• StevefromMichigan
    StevefromMichigan Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Hi there! When I had my physical two years ago, I had high cholesterol, to the point my doctor wanted to me on meds for it. We decided to give exercise a try. I lost the excess weight, started doing cardio 3-4 times a week and weight training a couple of times a week. Within 3-4 months, my cholesterol was back down to almost normal. Best thing you can do is lose those 20lbs and increase your cardio and other exercise. Good luck!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Just in an effort to bump your post...

I've seen many people post that they lowered BP and/ or LDL cholesterol just by getting down to a healthy weight. I have also heard that increasing activity level and intentional exercise can have a great impact as well.

Hopefully you'll get some personal experiences here shortly. Best of luck :smile:
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Just an anecdote, my bf lowered his high b/p and cholesterol about a year after taking up running on a regular basis. Best to check with your doctor about what is right for you though.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    My sister has had good results from DASH which was recommended by her doctor. Details are on the American Heart Associations website. Her doctor also said to focus on high potassium and low sodium foods while following DASH
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    My blood pressure has frequently been high normal - not high enough that the two main doctors of mine who I see regularly for anything other than orthopedic issues were worried, but high enough for a comment. It was one of those "well this is consistently this number so I'm not worried" sorts of issues.

My blood pressure was checked January 3rd and it went from 122/88 last January down to 112/72. I suspect part of that was due to weight loss and part of it was due to upping the intensity of my exercise. I have an unrelated appointment on Monday of next week and we'll see what it looks like then - I assume it'll be around the same.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Both of these conditions should be helped by weight loss and exercise.

Being a vegetarian is great if you want to do it for personal reasons, but it may not have any effect on your cholesterol or blood pressure. For most people, dietary cholesterol doesn't have much effect on blood cholesterol levels. This is true for about 75% of people with high cholesterol. The exception is some forms of genetic high cholesterol, which can benefit from eating less cholesterol (https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/dietary-cholesterol-does-not-matter). Having other people in your family with high cholesterol may or may not mean that you have this particular genetic makeup, and for that 25% of people, things are a little more complicated--see the article for details.

For most of us, exercise and getting to a healthy weight have a greater impact than diet on cholesterol numbers. Weight loss and exercise can also be very beneficial for lowering blood pressure. For high blood pressure, your doctor may also recommend limiting sodium.
  • reversemigration
    reversemigration Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    One of the reasons I chose to lose weight was to control BP and lipids. After losing ~55 lbs, my BP went from what was considered prehypertensive at the time (and which would qualify as hypertensive under the new guidelines) to consistently normal, and my LDL went from 158 to 90 (and is even lower now, I suspect.)

I also chalk some of the BP improvement to treating my newly diagnosed OSA with CPAP; however, I have no doubt that being of normal weight has improved my health status. As far as the composition of my diet itself, it's Mediterranean-ish, high on fiber, big on fruits and vegetables along with several servings of fish through the week.

Diet and exercise are not necessarily a panacea, but there's good evidence for giving it a try. Good luck!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    I don't have substantial family history of hypercholesterolemia or high blood pressure, but had both until about 3.5 years ago. Before that, I was just a bit over the line into obese BMI (5'5", 183).

About 12 years before, I'd become active enough that my athletic fitness markers were pretty good for my age (resting heart rate, endurance, race pace, strength that sort of thing). For me, that had made negligible difference in blood lipids/BP, at most.

When my doctor started talking about statins, I tried a number of changes in the composition of my eating, and various supplements, with - again - very limited success. There may've been a few percent improvement, but I was still well into the danger zones. (I was already a multi-decade ovo-lacto vegetarian by that point, BTW.)

For me, healthy weight was the magic. When I lost weight, my blood lipids went to solidly normal, BP usually low-normal. I'm now maintaining in the mid-130s, age 63, and lipids/BP continue to be fine.

I think that the interventions that help may differ if someone has familial hypercholesterolemia, but I can't comment on that. I've seen a few MFP friends whom I consider to be level-headed people report improvement in that scenario though increasing consumption of plant-based foods, in some cases going all the way to fully plant-based eating. (They were already active and eating generally nutritiously.) But that's anecdotal, I don't know of any research.

It sounds like you don't have a huge amount of weight to lose, so maybe weight loss won't be enough for you. Still, it might be a good thing to give priority alongside any other dietary/activity changes. You may end up not knowing which intervention helped, but if you end up healthier, that's probably a good trade-off.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Looks like I'm on the right track with regard to losing that weight. I'd previously successfully lost 30 lbs with MFP and kept it off for about 2 years, but I got REAL cozy in my not-new-anymore relationship (now going on 3 years), and most of it crept back.

Even at my lowest weight/most active, my cholesterol was still a inching into the high zone, so that might have to be a thing I discuss with a doc, but for sure my BP was MUCH better, so I'm looking forward to getting back there.

For what it's worth, I haven't gotten the dizzies, the nausea, or the racing heart I was getting towards the end of December when I tried to eat, and the only thing that's changed is not adding meat to my diet, so I think I'll try to run with this for a bit on top watching my calories in/out.
  • Vladimirnapkin
    Vladimirnapkin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    As you play with your diet, think about removing animal fats, too. I took out eggs and my cholesterol dropped 25 PTS. (I will use an occasional egg white for baking.) Then, I increased my exercise and my LDL dropped significantly.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    As you play with your diet, think about removing animal fats, too. I took out eggs and my cholesterol dropped 25 PTS. (I will use an occasional egg white for baking.) Then, I increased my exercise and my LDL dropped significantly.

Eggs are my favorite kind of protein so this has definitely taken some serious modification for me. I'll have a whole egg on the weekends for breakfast, but weekdays I've been having small veggie breakfast burritos on wheat tortillas with egg whites only. Savory breakfast for me is the only way to go (if my breakfast is on the sweet side, I don't seem to feel full and it really messes with my day), I'll need to find new ways to get savory breakfasts with enough protein to keep me going until lunch.