Working out w/ pain

Options
I started weight training about 6 months ago. Ever since then, it's been an onslaught of minor injuries and pain. A sprained wrist, lower back pain, knee issues, etc.

What has been your experience with this? Do you push through the workout even with the pain? It seems that if I were to stop and let my body recover, I'd probably only go to the gym once a month.

Looking for everyone's thoughts and opinions.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Uhhhh...no. You push through soreness, not pain and injury...you have to let yourself heal. I've been laid up before for 3 or more months letting things heal up. Pushing through is just going to make matters worse and you're never going to heal up.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I would get a trainer to help you learn good form to try and stop the constant injuries.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I would get a trainer to help you learn good form to try and stop the constant injuries.

That too...if you're constantly injuring yourself in the gym, your form needs fixin'
  • rfajitas12345
    rfajitas12345 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Uhhhh...no. You push through soreness, not pain and injury...you have to let yourself heal. I've been laid up before for 3 or more months letting things heal up. Pushing through is just going to make matters worse and you're never going to heal up.

Know exactly what you mean. These minor injuries are such a bummer. It takes such a long time to get to a certain benchmark and it's so frustrating to have to restart that all over again because of a bum wrist that takes 2 months to heal.
  • Teabythesea_
    Teabythesea_ Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not. By saying you’d only go once a month I’m assuming you mean that you’d “heal” go back, then be injured again and the cycle would continue? If that’s the case then you’re doing something wrong that results in an injury each time you lift. Reduce your weight or get rid of it entirely while you focus on form through body weight/low weight forms of the same exercises. You should also be warming up and not jumping straight into a heavy lift, as well as giving your body enough time to recover. Many gyms have trainers you can seek guidance from too.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    over the years lifting, training, sports - I have had my share of injuries and pain - including a back that goes out every so often,. I am not the type of person to "do nothing" so I would do whatever I could within the limits of or to work around the pain...and I still do. in 2007 I slipped and fell on the concrete floor in Home Depot and that put me out of full commission for about a year so for that set of injuries I simply would go to the pond and float til over a period of time I could move...then more and then swim...and so on.