Anyone trying to maintain at goal after weight loss surgery?

Options
My surgery was 2/23/10. I've lost 159 pounds. I'm at goal and now the real battle begins...to keep it off. It was the best decision I ever made for myself and I'm determined to keep it off.

Actually, I guess it doesn't matter whether someone had WLS or not. We are all either trying to lose or trying to maintain what we've lost. How I lost it isn't as important as how I'm going to maintain.

Replies

• brknllama
    brknllama Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    bump
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    i'm maintaining successfully
  • cfred40
    cfred40 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your impressive loss. An AWESOME job. WOOT WOOT. Best wishes on maintaining. Just always remember how far you have traveled.
  • ezreka
    ezreka Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have been maintaing since April. It really isn't that hard. I even stopped checking in here for a while, but now I am back.....just to make sure I continue to maintain :smile:
  • beach_bum_gurl
    Options
    I have maintained a loss of 120 pounds since my surgery 5 years ago. I had a creep up of almost 10 pounds this spring and knew I wanted to be back at maintenance before my 5 year post-op appointment this month. In my case, exercise seems to be the key for maintenance (I injured my hip in the spring and could not run for over 4 months).

I found this site on recommendation from a friend and LOVE IT! I am using it and have lost that creep and plan to try to lose a few more pounds. I have lost 15 pounds in the past 11 weeks. I love the accountability in tracking my calories everyday (and no, I am NOT under goal every day, but I try to stay close), and I have begun to love the social aspect of having motivating friends on this site as well.

Best of luck with your maintenance!
  • Yancando
    Yancando Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I, too, just reached my goal after WLS. I lost 175 lbs. I am so used to be in losing mode that I am not quite sure about how to go about maintaining. I am hoping I don't continue to lose....which seems odd to say since most of my life I have needed to lose weight! It can be challenging to get in all my calories and liquids early enough in the day so that I can digest before bed.
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    No way am I there yet but in trying to get out of my plateau I learned something that I feel relates to maintaining after reaching your goal weight and explains why many fail at this. At this site are several articles telling how our body fights to keep us at what it sees as our regular weight. The farther from this we get the harder it will fight us and that is why we plateau because we are fighting to lose and it is fighting to have us gain to our original weight. However the article explains that if you maintain the new weight for 2 months at least without either gaining or losing (note - or losing), the body will reset what it considers your normal weight to this weight you have maintained and will then help you maintain it. If you do not take the time to maintain for 2 months it will take the opportunity to take you right back to your original weight or last weight it sees as your regular weight if you are not careful. http://www.activepassivediet.com/aboutus.html
  • cownancy
    cownancy Posts: 291
    Options
    WELCOME! I am current losing with the lap band and want to congratulate you on your great success and wish you the best of luck in maintaining as I understand it can be quite a challenge from the others in my support groups. You've come to a fanastic place for support. I have found a few WLS people on the site, but the others are also wonderful support. I am proud to have both KeriA and Beach Bum Gurl among my friends here on MFP and you can count on them to be there, as you can see that they are among the first to answer you here!

Do you have support groups you can attend? I find them a great motivation and source of information and inspiration. I think that using all of the tools available to you will help you. What a great journey you've had so far. I'm sure you're going to continue that well into the future.

Nice to have you here,
  • schlabetsy
    Options
    I'm nearly 10 years post op and still trying maintain. It's a daily battle and war with "hunger head." Keep strong and stay on the site, it helps me stay accountable. Good luck!
  • bevskiwolf
    bevskiwolf Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I lost 160 and stalled. I had WLS back in December of '09. I still have about 100 pounds to go but it feels so good to have 160 off! The Realize Band really saved my life.

I am so glad I found this site. Logging food every day really keeps me accountable. And I love logging my exercise and even though I don't eat those extra calories, I love seeing them be added to my daily total :)

Keep drinking your water. Watch your carbs. Eat your protein first....you know the drill. And use this site. It's amazing. ♥