Bruised My Toe Running

Options
I've bruised my toenail through running. :( Whilst I feel like I have earned a runner's badge of honour I'd also like to avoid it in the future!

I've had new shoes for a few months now and had no problems until I hit 6.4 miles this Sunday, but Google tells me this is shoe related. I went to a sports shop to get fitted for my shoes and I can't afford to just change them at the moment. My previous pair have had it for running. I'm going to try tying them differently using heel lock lacing and see if that fixes it but I was wondering if anyone had any other tips or suggestions?

I was thinking of putting a plaster (bandaid if you're in the US) over it for extra cushioning on my next run. Would that help or make it worse?

Replies

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,489 Member
    Options
    A plaster might protect the current injury but will take up some space you need. Perhaps thinner socks would help?

You may know this, but feet swell after running a while. My running shoes are usually a full size larger than my non-running shoes.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Do you need to cut your toenails?
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    A plaster might protect the current injury but will take up some space you need. Perhaps thinner socks would help?

You may know this, but feet swell after running a while. My running shoes are usually a full size larger than my non-running shoes.

I find that I do better with thicker socks when I have an injury or sore spot. I guess that it is a trial and error thing and may depend on the actual issue.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Some people are just prone to bruised toe nails. I won't frighten everyone off with a photo, but I currently have 4 bruised toe nails, one that's in the process of falling off and 2 more that have almost grown back. My shoes fit fine, but I have a condition that means I bruise easily and run in excess of 10miles every Sunday
  • Nativestar56
    Nativestar56 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 My running socks are pretty old and not very thick. This might be a good excuse to get some new ones. Feet swelling might be why I haven't had this problem before, I've never run further than 10k before now!

@TavistockToad I don't think so? They're pretty short but not as short as possible. I'll see if that helps. Thanks.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Black toenails are common among runners and it is quite possible you will eventually lose the nail. It is painless and grows back without having to do anything special.