Averages Over A 20 Day Period For Activity Level Question?

Options
mithion
mithion Posts: 78 Member
edited January 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
Average Calories Consumed Per Day- 2,112
Average Calories Burned From Exercise Per Day- 499
Average Steps Per Day- 11,471
Average Time Exercising Per Day- 34.6 minutes

How do these numbers look in regards to what I should choose as my MFP Activity Level?

The choices are kind of vague IMO. Are these numbers Lightly Active or Active? Obviously not Sedentary and I don’t think quite Very Active so...?

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    1000+ steps a day is usually considered active/ very active.

If you have an activity tracker that is syncing to MFP you can set to lightly active and it should adjust for you.

On the other hand, if you have been logging for a while to get your 2112 average calories consumed per day, base your calorie goal on your progress so far. If you are happy with your rate of loss then keep things as they are. If you are losing faster or slower than desired adjust accordingly.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

If you have an activity tracker that is syncing to MFP you can set to lightly active and it should adjust for you.

On the other hand, if you have been logging for a while to get your 2112 average calories consumed per day, base your calorie goal on your progress so far. If you are happy with your rate of loss then keep things as they are. If you are losing faster or slower than desired adjust accordingly.

Is that a typo? Do you mean 10,000+ steps per day?
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

Is that a typo? Do you mean 10,000+ steps per day?

yes, typo, good catch!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,674 Member
    Options
    You're at the top end of the active setting. Depending on your type of steps etc.

This is based on steps only. Exercise not contributing to step count would not be included in the activity level and exercise contributing to the count should not be double counted.

Note that for most people food logging is even more inaccurate than the activity levels so based on the data you give I would just consider myself at the top end of active and take things from there..

A trending weight app (see trendweight-w/free without band Fitbit account/weightgrapher-tell it you want to maintain to avoid stupid comments--happy scale for iPhone, Libra for Android) and a good handle on your intake will allow you to adjust your goals as needed.

People dealing with menstrual bloat probably need closer to 4 weeks of data to be able to meaningfully adjust their goals, others may find 2-3 weeks sufficient.

For the purpose of a close approximation: calories eaten + trending weight change in lbs * 3500 all divided by number of days is your estimated total daily energy expenditure (TDEE). If you ate your TDEE your weight would be stable.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Active setting, eat back exercise calories.

For comparison, my husband is 5'10", 175 lbs (which I believe is similar to your stats from another thread), has an active job, does cardio for an hour or so several times a week and lifts weights. His current calorie allowance to lose 1 lb/week is 2500 (and it works).
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    How many of those steps are coming from your exercise?

The activity level settings on mfp are intended to represent your activity aside from exercise.

For example-I average 12k steps a day total. 8.5k of those are from workouts. So my non-exercise activity level is 3.5k steps/day. So my activity level setting is sedentary-because that’s what I am aside from exercise. I then log my exercise and eat those calories.

If I set my mfp activity level as active (which I am overall), I would be gaining weight (as that base calorie level is more than I burn without exercise).
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Are those steps including your intentional exercise or not?

If you plan on logging exercise and eating those calories back, you don't want to also include that exercise when determining your activity level because you'll be double-dipping.
  • mithion
    mithion Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have the MFP app set to sync with my iPhone to track steps. All other exercise I log manually