Elliptical Machines

Options
Hi there. I'm hoping to get some information that might help me. I absolutely LOVE using the elliptical at our local recreation center. I can go for a good bit and get a really decent cardio workout on it. The problem is that my membership has lapsed and I am also now in school full time as well as work full time so have been trying to justify the cost being as I won't be able to get there often. Well now I've been diagnosed with posterior tibial tendonitis which makes walking super painful and the elliptical and cycling are better options because of the way the pressure is placed on the foot. I've got to do something to exercise to keep my mental health in shape as well as try to maintain if not lose a few pounds while I go through this semester.

So here is my question. Years ago I bought a used elliptical machine from somebody and it just wasn't the same as the ones I use at the recreation center. It was so much harder to pedal and it was like the stance or something was different. I never used it much because it wore me out too fast (like 5 minutes and I can do an hour easy on the others). So do I try to find a better machine to use at home since getting to the gym is an issue? What kind would you recommend that is comparable to the high end ones at the fitness centers? Our membership is only $200/year so I know way cheaper than buying a machine but dang the time. Ugh! Just trying to come up with a solution.

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!

Replies

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    It's true, there are many different kinds of ellipticals.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I agree with the difference in ellipticals. I would check Craigslist and see if the person would let you try out the stride of the machine before you buy it.
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Does your school have a gym? Most have one that’s included in tuition then you wouldn’t have to spend anything.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I went to all the sporting good stores we have available and tried them all out. I ordered it from the cheapest place that carried the one we liked. As mentioned they are all different, our elliptical has a slight wider stride than I would like (fits my husband great) but placement of my feet on the pedals just right works well. Later I bought a treadmill from the same mfg.

You'll have to do some searching and see if anything fits your budget and you can try them out as well.
  • committedtofit
    committedtofit Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input. I have been researching and visiting the stores and trying them out. I think I’m about to pull the plug on a Sole E25.