Nutrition for Runners

Options
I could use some tips on what to eat before running 5 miles or more. Most of my runs are during the evenings on the weekdays and mornings on the weekends. Thanks

Replies

• CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    I need an answer on this too! I also need to find an Android tracking GPS device. Do you have one? I downloaded "my tracks". It worked great twice. But I just used it this evening, and it was cloudy, it said I ran 7 miles. It was completely wrong. It was increasing at a very fast pace and showed I was zig zagging everywhere on the map. lol. Maybe it was because of the clouds. But I'm not sure...

I'm drinking/eating more protein than carbs. I know everyone says carbs, but Protein really helps with recovery. I'm rarely sore and no injuries (yet).
  • sprinkies
    sprinkies Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    the only foods that don't upset my stomach when i run longer than 5 miles are cereal (i have two bowls about 2 hours before), or pasta with red sauce. i much prefer cereal though! bagels are good too. i stay far far away from things with cheese, hummus, things with too much fiber, creamy sauce, milk products. i also found i can't do fruit snacks or gatorade/propel before or during a run or it makes my stomach very queasy.

it def will take a few trials to find what doesn't make you sick. i used to get incredibly sick for the entire day after i ran over 5 miles and it wasn't just the food, it was my body adjusting to the running.
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    On work days when I have to run 5+ miles I as I normally would. As far as a pre-run snack, I wait to have my afternoon snack as close to getting off work (I get off at 5) as I can.. usually around 4:30. I have fruit, granola, sometimes an apple with peanutbutter or just something fairly light.

On weekends when I do my long runs in the morning, I grab a half english muffin or slice of toast with PB about 30-45 minutes before my run. Sometimes (like this weekend) I just grab a baggie full of mini wheats cereal and munch on those pre-run.

I just do what works for me. I sometimes have stomach issues so I have to be careful with what I choose to eat before I run. As far as long run fuel for during my run I use sports beans and eat a few of those after the first hour of running.
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I usually eat a banana and maybe 1/2 a plain bagel 1.5-2 hours before long runs. I can't eat much it just sits in my stomach. I was told to try plain oatmeal by a marathoner. If I am going to do more than 6 miles, I take the sport jelly beans to get me thru.
  • MandaLen13
    MandaLen13 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I know its probably bad...but I run on an empty stomach. I find that I can run farther and longer that way. I dont even drink anything until after my run or I get nauseous.

I've found that for really long runs though I will get hungry about halfway through so I like to carry a pack of Jelly Belly sports beans or some Gu energy gel...these seem to get me through to the end of my run.
  • reeldancer
    reeldancer Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    PB&J. - Gets you protein carbs and sugar all in one. Use natural peanut butter and whole wheat or multi grain bread.
  • TorridCutie
    TorridCutie Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Before a run, you want to have a high carbohydrate, low fiber and low fat food item. It can be things like banana on toast with some peanut butter maybe, oatmeal, PB&J, or a sports drink. Just do not eat too close to your running time. Give at least an hour for your body to digest the food.
  • ladyp1975
    ladyp1975 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey there, Runtastic is a great app and it's always worked as long as you have a GPS signal. As for what to eat, I tend to have a black coffee and cereal bar (atkins) if in the morning, if an evening run then I try to have a big lunch or just have a catkins bar and red bull about an hour before :)
  • DontThinkJustRun
    DontThinkJustRun Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't eat before I run, other than a GU before runs over 5 miles. I've run up to 15 miles with no food and have had no issues. If you do need to eat make sure you eat 60 mins before and make sure it's easily digestible a banana and yogurt or maybe a granola bar. Try google for other ideas.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    I have always run on an empty stomach. I haven't ran over 4 miles in one running yet. I notice when I drink water on my runs I feel like I get a boost of energy just from that!

I'm on my way to running more than 4 miles at once..so we will see if I have to adjust this...
  • ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Banana is the magic fruit for long periods of exercise!!! at least for me
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    GU Packs. :)
  • kellybones
    kellybones Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Banana is the magic fruit for long periods of exercise!!! at least for me

Same here. I actually don't like bananas at all but was told to try them for GI issues while running. And for me, they are seriously MAGIC. I get energy, no GI distress and they're portable too - I've brought them with me on longer runs and on bike rides. I also use Cytomax electrolyte drink (fruit punch) because Gatorade upsets my tummy. And if I go longer than 5 miles, I use the Honey Stinger packets in addition to the Cytomax and the banana.