Do/did you need to pee a lot while losing weight?

Options
I'm not sure when it's started or it's connected to my wight loss. But I having a hard time keeping liquid in. I mean I can hold it, but I had to pee a lot every day. Even when I drink next to nothing. I went to the doctor and tests seems to indicate that I'm healthy. Is it a sideeffect of my weight loss? (I lost 30 kg in 8 months)

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I find when I'm due a whoosh of weight loss I pee a heck of a lot so its likely connected.
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I pee a lot because I drink a lot of water. However, think of all those extra steps you're getting going to the loo and back :wink:
  • Kalex1975
    Kalex1975 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Yes, I also tend to urinate a lot... may be related to weight loss but also, being a man getting older, could just be related to the prostate enlarging (see here).

When you went to see the doctor did they mention any potential causes?
  • Calildur
    Calildur Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Kalex1975 wrote: »
    When you went to see the doctor did they mention any potential causes?

They did't see any unsual and said im perfectly fine. They seem to think it's a mental issue, which i'm about to find out. But I feel like it's more likely my weight loss.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Personally... when I'm trying to lose weight I tend to drink more. Drinking more necessarily = peeing more.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I do know that weight is lost ~85% through breathing and ~15% through water (urine, sweat etc) just from the science of weight loss, but I'd be hard pressed to notice it. Losing 2 lbs a week would men 0.3 lbs of water over the week and I doubt it would be enough to notice.

I drink more so I pee more.
  • anmille8
    anmille8 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    are you eating more healthy food with higher water content?
  • alyssaslimsdownin2019
    Options
    Yes especially when you're eating very few carbs! This is because your body is losing glycogen stores, and those glycogen stores helped you retain water weight before, so you're losing glycogen and therefore losing the water weight that went along with it. :)
  • ACanadian22
    ACanadian22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Yes...But make sure that the urine is clear or nearly clear. If it is deep colored, look into it farther.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Calildur wrote: »
    I'm not sure when it's started or it's connected to my wight loss. But I having a hard time keeping liquid in. I mean I can hold it, but I had to pee a lot every day. Even when I drink next to nothing. I went to the doctor and tests seems to indicate that I'm healthy. Is it a sideeffect of my weight loss? (I lost 30 kg in 8 months)

How long has it been since you started? I find I pee a lot in the first week or two, then no more than normal with an odd day or two in the mix.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot more water when I'm in a deficit so I expect to pee more. I used to have a bad habit of eating out of boredom or mistaking hunger for thirst so now if I want to snack I make myself drink a glass of water first to make sure I'm not just thirsty.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    anmille8 wrote: »
    are you eating more healthy food with higher water content?

That’s a good point. If you have been eating a lot more fruits and vegetables than you used to, it could make a difference. Water intake comes from food you eat as well as what you drink.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    When I was doing low carb, I lost a lot of water weight. I drank more, but I also peed a lot.
  • triciale555
    triciale555 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    The three ways you actually loose the weight is pee, sweat, and breath - this comes from a college health class I took many years ago. So it makes sense if your losing weight that you may be peeing more (plus the increase in water while working)
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    recently lost 25 lbs and yes I do pee a lot. Guess it is a good thing, probably all those vegetables and drinking a lot to fill up. I use to think I was hungry and I was just thirsty.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Weight loss in and of itself shouldn't impact how much you pee. You lose fat primarily via exhaling breath with a negligible amount lost via urine and sweat.

A change in diet (reducing carbs, sodiium, etc) might induce a slight and very brief increase (or decrease if intake increases) in urine excretion but I doubt that increase would be very noticeable or long lived.

Your body maintains a water homeostasis. Water comes in, water goes out but the amount of water generally stays pretty static so the biggest impact on how much you pee will be how much you drink.
  • mywayroche
    mywayroche Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you don't have a digestive tract packed full of crap now. Less to hold onto the water you drink meaning it just appears to go through you. Personally, if I eat more soluble fibre then it sorts itself out