Getting Clothes Taken In?

Options
Hello! I've lost over 60 lbs since joining MFP in October 2017. It's getting to the point where I have a lot of baggy clothes that I don't want to get rid of but they don't look good on me at all anymore. Has anyone had luck with taking their too-big clothes to a tailor to be taken in? Have you gotten the same piece taken in more than once? How were you treated when you brought baggy clothing in by the tailor or seamstress?

I'm mostly looking at skinny jeans and jackets, but maybe sweaters?

I know that a lot of people rewarded themselves with a new wardrobe and that is great, but I am not looking to do that right now as I still have about 50 lbs to go on my journey!

Replies

• mywayroche
    mywayroche Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    If you're going to carry on losing weight then buy cheap clothes for now. A tailored shirt is a nice thing to have but the whole point is that it fits perfectly so you should be a stable weight to reap the benefits
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    I've had skirts, suit jackets and a wool coat taken in. Pretty expensive but I really really liked the items enough to spend the money. They looked great (I know a wonderful tailor!). For jeans I wouldn't bother - too expensive. Same for sweaters. Donate them and let someone else love them.
  • erjones11
    erjones11 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Taking pants in more then 10% does not work. Think about the pockets.
  • Hyacinth_Hippo
    Hyacinth_Hippo Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I sew a lot, and I can tell you from experience that it's not really worth it. If it's an expensive dress or suit you want/need for a special occasion then the price may be worth it, but otherwise it just takes too much time/ costs too much. You can't take in most clothes more than a few sizes, so if you are losing a lot of weight it may not even be possible.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    It tends to be very expensive, so unless these were high-quality/vintage/designer items in the first place you are better off investing in new with as much as you have lost already.

Edited to add: if you are only mid-way in your weightloss, consider shopping at thrift shops/off-price stores (TJ Maxx, Burlington, etc.) to cover until you get to your final goal. You will be amazed at how much properly-fitted clothing changes the way you look and feel about yourself.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    I once brought in some pants that were two sizes too big and the tailor said it would be cheaper for me to buy new ones that for her to take them in. She said one size up is the most she'd recommend altering.

Congrats on your 60 pound weight loss! Maybe hit some thrift stores?

My family loves Savers https://www.savers.com
  • wmweeza
    wmweeza Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    For me I've donated all of my big clothes and bought new ones. Unless an item of clothing is sentimental I wouldn't bother with tailoring (except for say the length of a skirt)
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    congrats on the loss...and looks like you have to go shopping..which is actually hard after having a new body to shop for. Such a delightful problem to face. :)
  • gogetemrogue
    gogetemrogue Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses everyone! I'm still on the lower end of plus sized, so thrift shopping might be pretty hit or miss, but I will try it when I get a chance. Otherwise I will be looking out for some jeggings sales! I have two pairs of jeggings that I still might try getting taken in because they are a very unique style, as well as a jacket that's only one size too big.

One thing I am not looking forward to is how much quicker I will be going down sizes (per pound, not in real time) vs when I was more plus sized.