How do you not give up!?

If I stuff up with food once, I think "oh well, may as well give up on today" and I continue to stuff up the rest of the day...sometimes even longer!

Does anyone have advise for this? Is this something you struggled with and you know how to help control it?

Replies

• bmccrory2
    bmccrory2 Posts: 84 Member
    I am the same exact way.. I am looking forward to any suggestions.
  • SunshineKisses_2012
    SunshineKisses_2012 Posts: 471 Member
    Lots of us on here struggle with it. It's not really NOT doing it, it's recognizing that you are doing it, that you did do it, and that you may do it again, however you can hope that you will simply not fall as far the next time, and then not as far the next time after that...etc...until you can learn how to control yourself (self-discipline).

Don't put up with bad behavior out of yourself. We don't like when other people behave badly, so why should we put up with ourselves and poor behavior?

Also, I don't believe in cheat days or meals. I don't deprive myself of the things I like, I simply make a concerted effort to not eat all of it if it's super high in calories. If I am at a restaurant, I ask for a to-go box as soon as my food arrives, put half of my plate in there, and eat the rest. That method really works for me. It's out of site, therefore out of mind. Plus, I know I can take it home and enjoy the same meal again tomorrow.

Don't eat until you are stuffed. In my mind, the feeling of being stuffed is a rude feeling. Being satiated (satisfied) is a good feeling. I drink a LOT of water as well. The more water I drink, the less I want to eat because I know I'll get that stuffed (rude) feeling, and I'd rather not feel like a bloated goat.

Good luck!
  • I used to do that too, now I eat healthy 98% of the time so when I want something I know I can have it or at least some of it. Not to mention I love being healthy way more that I want to stuff food in my gullet...you can do it, just remember that you are worth all the work and sacrifice...it really depends on how much you want to change your life and for how long. Blessings sweetie !!!
  • thegoodner
    thegoodner Posts: 113 Member
    I try to focus on what makes me want to overeat in the first place, and I don't try to overly deprive myself. Eat a realistic amount of food! If you're starving, it makes it harder not to go on an eating streak!
  • Sara7Taylor
    Sara7Taylor Posts: 112 Member
    I think most of us on here have bad days once in a while. Yesterday I was way stressed and had ice cream for lunch....I felt bad about it, I just keep telling myself to keep goin. Remember that for most of us, this weight loss thing is a work in progress. I know that when I first started I had lots of bad days. Sometimes it also helps to look at other peoples before and after posts. For me, my journey has been a huge time of doing and learning. We are not perfect. But WE CAN DO THIS!:wink:
  • menchi
    menchi Posts: 297 Member
    I occasionally give myself a cheat day where I just let loose, knowing full well I will have to work hard for at least the next week to deal with it. The difference is that I go into the cheat day calmly and rationally. I've made a conscious decision and not an emotional reaction. For me, it helps me recognize the difference and gives me mental strength to deal with the emotional reactions.

And the funny thing is, I don't go over too badly even on cheat days. The longer I've been at this dieting, the more my brain and body adjusts to wanting to exercise and wanting to eat good foods. My brain still occasionally craves McDs chicken nuggets, but after one piece I just don't want that nasty food anymore. Weird huh?
  • cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    I plan my "cheat" meals. Then, I know I have sometime to look forward to at the (for example) end of the week, so I know that I have to stick to my plan. Someone witty once said "If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

I hope this helps! <3
  • Logging all of my cheats helps me stay on track. it lets me see that even if i do cheat.. the rest of my day isnt ruined as long as i eat better for the remainder. one mess up is only one mess up... dont let it get you down and dont turn it into 2 or 3. stop being so hard on yourself. enjoy something bad occasionally and move on. You can do it!!!
  • luppic8
    luppic8 Posts: 580 Member
    I see how far I've come and I am motivated to continue on to reach my goal. I love the way I look and feel and for me there is no turning back. I have lost 24 of the 30 pounds I want to lose. I have dropped 4 clothes sizes and look at least 10 years younger. So you tell me, if that's not motivation enough I don't know what is!!! It may not be easy at first, but this becomes an addiction, a good addiction. Please don't give up. You will fall off the wagon, but you just have to get back on and don't look back! You can do this!!!
  • hyde1977
    hyde1977 Posts: 476 Member
    Well I think it happens to many! What has to click for you.....and I know did for me....its one meal! Just move on for the rest of the day and make better choice the next meal!!!!

I always try to remember it took me years to gain the weight, so its going to take time to gain it all back!

If you have a one meal in a day you end up stuff yourself......don't write the day off! Take a long walk! Have a good dinner (You have to eat something even if it is small)

But we are all different and I can tell you not to worry about and just move on...but it has to click for you!!!!!!

:-)
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    I try not to look at it as food on a given day, but food on a given meal, or even time of day. If I eat too much in the morning, I don't let it throw off my lunch. I may even try to eat a little less at lunch, depending on how hungry I am.

I think we all tend to divide our calories into specific amounts for specific meals, even if it's unconscious. For me, I eat around 200 cals for breakfast, 300 cals for lunch, and the rest for dinner. Not by design, but because that's just how it is for me. It's easier not to overindulge all day if you look at it this way. At least, it is for me.
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Because it is not final! Being healthy is a journey. It is not just a a one day thing...it is a life time...hence why we try to get health now so we can have a better healty future but it is something you have to constantly work at. Ok, so today was not a good day tomorrow really is a NEW day and you start over and take one meal at a time. Make a new mini goal each meal.
    It happens but don't give up. I bet if you look at your life you can find an obstacle whether it was big or small and you made it through maybe even had a setback and you still persevered!!!!!!! Think of one example! OUr lives are made of issue, drama, problems, obstacles but how are you going to deal??? Seriously.
    Re-exam how you want to handle this...make new strategies and plans how we get through. No one is perfect but the one who gives up....how will you know how well you could have been if you don't try? Keep at it go get it, get it!:wink:
  • 1953Judith
    1953Judith Posts: 325 Member
    If I have had my evening snack and have that urge to keep on eating and eating and eating. Rather than go on a raging munch, I give myself permission to have a treat, however I must plan it and I must wait at least half an hour before I can have it. Tonight I finished my calories at dinner time and I wanted to keep going badly. So I said I could have two Trader Joe's dried white peaches if I waited half an hour. I had them and nibbled them very slowly and I feel satisfied. It is so hard. I just tell myself it is okay to eat what I want but not with unlimited spontaniety of choice and quanitity.
  • It's like food is an addiction. So if you give yourself a "punishment", it'll make you not want to cheat so much. like If I cheat, I'm going to have to work out twice as hard the next day- and work off however many calories you cheated on. If you don't hold yourself accountable, or do something to make up for your shortcoming, then there's no sense in trying to go ahead and pretend like everything's going as planned. What's good is that you accept your defeat, but then you DO something about it. And you have to follow through. You set these goals so you could accomplish them. So judge yourself accordingly, and move on to the next step. But don't judge yourself too harshly. If you do, you'd give up completely and there's no sense in failure. Keep it up. When we fall, we must pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off, and start all over again. Remember it's not that you failed, it's that you do something about it!
  • caroltina
    caroltina Posts: 453 Member
    I have been changing my life for 2 years and 74 lb! I have to say I don't think of it as dieting, as cheating, I just see it as life! Some days are better some days are worse. I think if you get off to a poor start the important thing is to recognise it and try to get back on track. If you try to constantly deprive yourself you are not going to be able to change for life, so everything in moderation, if I want chocolate I have a square, or 2, but I know that if I have 3,4,5 I will regret it later and so I don't do it!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,423 Member
    You just keep going!
    Screwing up every now and again doesn't mean you've failed, it means you're human. Sometimes I spend time trying to work out what made me binge on that block of chocolate or pack of timtams, and try to make a plan to not do it again.... other times I just I write it off as a bad day and try and do better the next day.
    I have certainly had some spectactularly bad days since I joined here in January, but luckily they are in the minority and the good days are winning out!