Scale not moving, ideas?

Options
Hey all! I’m new to MFP and so far loving it! I started on the 1st and quickly lost 3+ pounds. I’ve been on vacation all week and on point with my calories, but the scale either hasn’t budged or gone up.

I feel almost constantly hungry. Last night I said screw this feeling and ate a good bit over my calories, and this morning I’ve lost weight.

I have the projections at 2# a week, would dropping it down to 1.5# a week be beneficial?

Any tips appreciated! And friends!

Replies

• leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Yes if you’re constantly hungry bump up your calories a bit to lose 1 1/2lb.
  • mxexotics
    mxexotics Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It hasn’t moved since day two. And I know it’ll take time, I just want to set myself up for success.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Weight loss happens over time. What you are seeing in the scale are weight fluctuations. It’s not fat loss. Fluctuations can happen due to water retention from sodium content and make you look like you had a gain. Or you might weigh less immediately after use the bathroom in the morning. Neither of these are fat gain or fat loss. Fat loss takes time as you chip away day by day, meal by meal. Consider weighing just once a week so that you have a better idea if your goals are being met. If you really like to weigh yourself daily look into using Happy Scale or one of the other trending apps.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    We often say around here that weight loss isn't linear. What that means is that it doesn't always follow that you'll lose the exact amount of weight you "should" according to the number of calories you eat or burn. Hormonal fluctuations, water retention, sodium intake, and the fact that calorie counting is, at best, an inexact science all contribute. That doesn't mean calorie counting doesn't work, it just means we have to be as accurate as we can and accept that daily fluctuations, both up and down, are normal.
  • nikkirowles5815
    nikkirowles5815 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    This is a usefull thread -Thanks
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You've lost more than 3lbs in 12 days, that isn't the scale not moving...
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Often when people start a new weight loss plan, they drop a few quick pounds of water weight and not much else happens on the scale for a week or two. You're still burning fat as long as you are in a calorie deficit, but it's being masked by the initial drop in water weight. It'll catch up. :)

In the meantime, make sure a 2 lb/ week goal is appropriate for you (it's basically for those w/more than 75 lbs to lose) and focus on accurate logging.