Workouts

Options
I don´t mind exercising, I just don´t know what to do or how long to do it. I´ve just searched youtube videos and did some workouts in sets of 3 with reps of 12. I do 3 sets of 12 with jumping jacks, jump roping and some belly and side workouts as a warm up. But when I log it in, it doesn´t seem like a lot. I just started walking on a treadmill, and started with 10 minutes, how much longer until I can go further? I feel like I eat more than I move, and I try to eat so that i get full, and don´t eat a lot. This is so frustrating.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    What are your goals, from a fitness perspective?
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Exercising doesn't give you a lot of calorie burn. Especially weightlifting. You should just exercise for fitness.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Baby steps. You are looking for lifelong - permanent changes. These won't happen overnight.

Sure some people start each January with a plan to go all out for as long as they can. Then they get tired, bored, or injured.....life happens. They gain back most of the weight they lost and vow to start over the next January.

Go at your own pace. Don't get injured, don't burn out. Find a way to improve each week. Walking 10 minutes each day this week and then 15 minutes each day next week......is progress.

Filling (or satiating) foods are individual. Protein, fiber and fat are the usual components. Eat enough calories each day (don't pick an aggressive weekly weight loss goal) and play around with meal/snack timing. Learning takes time.

Log your food here - the calories given tell you how many calories you can eat BEFORE exercise. Don't feel like "OMG - I can do so much more." You do't need to do more, you need to do just enough. There's no prize for for being miserable.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I don´t mind exercising, I just don´t know what to do or how long to do it. I´ve just searched youtube videos and did some workouts in sets of 3 with reps of 12. I do 3 sets of 12 with jumping jacks, jump roping and some belly and side workouts as a warm up. But when I log it in, it doesn´t seem like a lot. I just started walking on a treadmill, and started with 10 minutes, how much longer until I can go further? I feel like I eat more than I move, and I try to eat so that i get full, and don´t eat a lot. This is so frustrating.

Yeah...most people do that or they would die. You burn calories 24/7. Energy expenditure from exercise in most cases is going to pale in comparison the the calories you expend just being alive and going about your daily. For example, I burn around 1800 calories just being alive...I would burn that in a coma. Then I burn more calories just going about my day to day. My calories from exercise are usually anywhere from 150-500 depending on what I'm doing.

In regards to how much and what you should do, that's really fitness goal dependent. As far as increasing the amount and time of exercise, fitness is something that is built over time...weeks, months, years. A lot of people start with setting goals like wanting to run a 5K or something and training to that end.
  • GretelGSD
    GretelGSD Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    The recommendation in the UK is to aim for 150 minutes for health and fitness benefits a week of moderate aerobic activity. You can break this down however you like, half an hour 5 days a week if you prefer and build up from there. As for how much to start with, this depends on your current level of fitness, if you're in good health do what you're comfortable doing and challenge yourself a little, then increase so you challenge yourself more. Be consistent and you'll be amazed how quickly you progress and how much better you feel. Also find something you enjoy. I put my headphones on and do old aerobic and dance moves in my kitchen to 1970's Studio 54 style music, the time flies and I really enjoy it, it really makes exercise fun, so don't be afraid to think outside the box.