losing weight while trying to concieve?????

Options
My husband and I have decided we are going to try and get pregnant with our 2nd child. I have lost 60 pounds since having our last child (our daughter is 19 months) and am much healthier than when I became pregnant with her. I feel like I am in a good position to become pregnant but I still have about 10 pounds to get my BMI to 30. What I am wondering is, should I continue to try and lose those 10 pounds WHILE trying to get pregnant, or just continue eating healthy and exerciseing and not restirct my calories because I am trying to get pregnant? Could restricting my calories have an ill affect on being able to conceive?? I have been getting mixed answers from what I've read online and I am just wondering if anyone may have some advice on the subject.

Replies

• megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Well, I got pregnant after losing 10lb, on weight watchers. Apparently it didn't affect me at all!
  • KatyRing
    KatyRing Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    as long as your not restricting your calories to an unhealthly amount there is nothing wrong with trying to lose weight while trying to get pregnant. It can help your body actully concieve.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    get pregnant and exploit your naturally occurring HCG. Cuz, hey, free HCG!
    Eat healthy, of course, and eat until you are satisfied, but eat clean and stay active.
  • SunshineKisses_2012
    SunshineKisses_2012 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I read an article on a woman who continued to run (with the consent of her doctor and regular check-ups of course) well into her 8th month of pregnancy. I don't see any reason why, if you are eating a healthy amount of calories, you shouldn't continue to try to lose weight while trying to conceive. That's just my 2 cents, but you should ask your doctor what he/she thinks about it.
  • cmbneeley
    cmbneeley Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    bump! i'm in the same boat. i have a 16 month old, have lost 45 lbs from my pre-pregnancy weight with her, and have been thinking about trying for number 2 and was wondering what effect calorie restriction has on trying to conceive. my bmi is also hovering just above 30. should you up calories when trying to conceive to maintenance? i know after getting pregnant you should do that, but what about when trying to become preggers?
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Definitely continue to lose while trying to conceive. Unless you're restricting calories to the point of being unhealthy, it won't have any ill effect on chances of conception, and may help.
  • eversits
    eversits Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I would eat clean making sure that your body still gets all the nutritions that it needs for a healthy baby. I would even start taking vitamins. Increase your exercise...I am not really sure about calorie restrictions, but once you are pregnant obviously you should consult with a doctor!
  • Jemmuno
    Jemmuno Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is a problem with losing weight while trying to conceive especially if its making you healthier. I think the problem would come if you were trying to lose weight while pregnant. Talk to your doctor about your concerns though; he/she might be a better source.
  • meli_medina
    meli_medina Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I ran well into my 7th month of pregnancy with my youngest. I coached Girls on the Run as well. I had to actually gain weight to get pregnant with him and watched what I ate through my pregnancy and lost 5 of the 10 pounds I had to gain to get pregnant with him. Of course, I let myself go after that, which is why I'm back to losing even more than that 4 years later! LOL!

And yes, you can continue to lose weight while TTC. It won't hurt you, especially if you still have 20+ pounds to lose.
  • ktbug82
    ktbug82 Posts: 166
    Options
    I don't see a problem with it. Just make sure you are getting enough protein in your diet. I know that lowering your BMI can improve your chances of pregnancy drastically.
  • lunula76
    lunula76 Posts: 38
    Options
    I actually just asked a registered nurse midwife about this last week. She said that there is no conflict with losing weight while trying to conceive but she said you should not go beneath 1200 calories a day and once you are pregnant make sure to consume no less than 1600 calories a day (not including exercise calories - always consume those!). Of course begin taking prenatal vitamins asap and make good nutritional decisions.
  • LeAngeRose
    Options
    I'm not sure if the reduced calories per se would be an issue. However, I'd make extra sure you were diligent in taking your prenatal vitamin and talk with an OB about whether you should add any additional supplements. Though you likely eating healthier than many when they conceive, you want to be sure that none of your vitamin intake is deficient. Folic acid can easily become too low while dieting for healthy baby development, and it's needed before you even are aware you're pregnant. If you currently have an OB, you may be able to talk with the nursing staff, without even going in for an appointment, to verify that the calories you're taking in for weight loss are sufficient and wouldn't reduce your chances of getting pregnant or having a healthy baby. Good luck in your baby making!
  • 4KidFather
    4KidFather Posts: 134
    Options
    There's almost always benefits to losing unhealthy bodyfat.
    My wife is pregnant with our 5th child. She is VERY active through the pregnancies (sickness permitting) yet still gains some healthy distributed bodyfat. This melt quickly after a few months of nursing. Then her abs are back, she's hot....... and ends up pregnant again LOL!!!
    As ever eating REAL FOOD is essential (nothing with ingredients/labels on it) to get lots of nutrition per calorie.
    Eggs, fish, leafy greens, root veggies, bone broth soup etc.
    Take care with calorie restriction - no room for junk food there.
    Avoiding flour, sugar and boxed snacks almost always results in a healthier metabolism- pregnant or not.
    Weight comes off.
    Sorry, no ice cream, candy, chips, crackers, soda, fruit juice - all that 'pregnant' craving stuff :)
    My wife sends me to the store at 10pm to get bacon....
  • mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your advice!!! I think I'm going to just change my weight loss goal from 2 pounds a week to 1/2 pound and start taking my vitamins! (and continue with my running!!)
  • kimm08
    kimm08 Posts: 8
    Options
    i lost 30 lbs before conceiving#2,,,it only took 1 time of trying when we decided to start trying!
  • jenniferhiggins
    jenniferhiggins Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I am glad that I saw this thread. Over the holiday's I gained some weight due to holiday eating. opps. it was worth it. The food was good:) My goal was/is to lose 10 pounds. How many calories is everyone eating while they are trying to conceive. I had my 3rd miscarriage in Feb and still have no kids. I did not keep track of calories when I got pregnant the last 3 times. They were all surprises. In feb I get put on clomid.
  • iheartyarn
    iheartyarn Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    i wouldn't worry about it, i got pregnant with each of my kids after losing the 50lbs i had just put on with the one before it, as long as you are having regular cycles you are ovulating, you will be totally fine.