Switched to maintenance all at once. What should I expect?

Options
Hi there,

I decided to switch to maintenance as I am at a normal BMI. I didn’t follow advice I have heard of slowly increasing the calories, I just simply started eating at maintenance one day after months of eating at a caloric deficit.

I’ve started lifting so I am eating a high protein diet at my maintenance calories to lose fat and build muscle. I am lifting 4x a week and I previously was lifting 1-2 a week with a bigger focus on cardio.

I know I’m going to gain water weight from the sudden increase in calories, but how long do you think it will take to even out? I just don’t want to gain fat.

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,983 Member
    Options
    when I switched to maitenance I didnt gradually increase the calories either - I just reset MFP to say maitenance instead of lose 1/2lb per week and ate to that new target from then on.

I dont recall any temporary water weight increase.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    It will vary by person and by how much of a jump they made going back to maintenance. I went up a couple pounds and lost one again after about a week. The other pound remained but I'm sure it was, at least partly, due to having more food/waste in my system.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    I have been in maintenance over 10 months and I am still not sure what my maintenance calories are. It's mostly because of fairly intense exercise at frequent but irregular intervals and duration and partly from getting a little sloppy logging sometimes. I have trended up and down, mostly down. I am 11 pounds below what was goal, but goal put me at 24.9 and I didn't want to go over 25, even for a day so I set my maintenance range from 14 below goal to 4 below goal - 150 to 160. I am in the bottom half of the range now at 153 which seems like a good weight for me. I was down to this weight a few months ago and tried to maintain it and trended back up about 5 pounds (still in my range), made adjustments and trended back down. That seems common for people in maintenance. I will see if I have any better luck this time. My guess is that in a few weeks I will notice a trend up or down and adjust. then in a few weeks...