Menstrual weight gain & bloat :( depressing.

Options
Who else here doesn’t lose any weight when on their menstrual? Today has got to be my most insecure day for me. Not only did I gain 10 lbs since the holidays but I’ve been trying to lose those lbs the past 2 weeks. I’ve been eating healthier and sticking to a 1,200 calorie deficit. This morning I decided to weigh myself which I also just got my menstual and this is the heaviest I’ve been. I’ve always been so insecure of myself after I had a baby but it’s making me not even want to step out of the house. My body is easily sensitive to salt (which I was sticking to 1,500mg or less the past two weeks..) but I’m just feeling so unmotivated.

Have I not been losing and holding on to this water weight due to my menstrual symptoms? Does any other ladies on here gain water weight no matter if they eat healthy and exceecise prior and when it’s over? How many lbs are you usually up by and how fast do you lose the water weight?

Replies

• EthanJeremiahsMama
    EthanJeremiahsMama Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Hang in there. I’m also up a few lbs before & during that time of the month. If you stick to what you’ve been doing (eating healthier & at a deficit), the weight should come off. May be not as fast as you’d like but patience and consistency is key! *hugs*
  • gcminton
    gcminton Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Yep, it's very common.

I don't noticeably gain so much as the loss stops for a bit, maybe a week or maybe two (it varies) and then I'll drop several pounds all at once. It can be frustrating but as far as I know there's nothing to do but accept it and move on. If you're tracking your food and exercise accurately and eating at a deficit, your progress will keep moving. This is one of the reasons I weigh daily and track it on a site that will show me my trend AND has an additional line showing my weight 28 days prior to help me account for my period fluctuations.

My holiday water weight gain didn't really go away until this past week, and then my period started. Fun times. It has been a hoot watching my usual stall-drop-stall-drop combined with holiday water going away all at once.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Everyone gains & loses water weight for any number of reasons, sometimes up to 5 lbs or more in a day. The thing to remember is that it isn't fat gain... in fact, if you are consistently eating in a calorie deficit, you are losing fat underneath all the scale noise. And it's not a problem that needs to be solved or dealt with in some way... it's just your body doing it's job(s).

Also be aware that women experience water weight shifts in relation to their cycles differently. Personally, I gain around ovulation and then my weight tends to bottom out as I approach my period. Others gain only before or during their periods. Hopefully, there's none that do both, but I suppose there may be some unfortunate souls out there :(
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    Everyone gains & loses water weight for any number of reasons, sometimes up to 5 lbs or more in a day. The thing to remember is that it isn't fat gain... in fact, if you are consistently eating in a calorie deficit, you are losing fat underneath all the scale noise. And it's not a problem that needs to be solved or dealt with in some way... it's just your body doing it's job(s).

Also be aware that women experience water weight shifts in relation to their cycles differently. Personally, I gain around ovulation and then my weight tends to bottom out as I approach my period. Others gain only before or during their periods. Hopefully, there's none that do both, but I suppose there may be some unfortunate souls out there :(

I am one of those poor unfortunate souls. The only time I reliably close weight is the 10 days between ovulation and the start of my cycle. It’s always a big whoosh, but I had to learn that I get both, and it just sucks.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options

I am one of those poor unfortunate souls. The only time I reliably close weight is the 10 days between ovulation and the start of my cycle. It’s always a big whoosh, but I had to learn that I get both, and it just sucks.

I'm the opposite. I only lose weight between days 3 and 13 of my cycle with the biggest chunk in the beginning (down 3-6 pounds in 2-3 days which then levels to the usual daily fluctuations and slow gradual loss). I gain quite a bit during ovulation, then it drops back down a bit the next day, then go back to slowly gaining continuously all the way to the start of my cycle reaching the highest high on the last day. I may be a special case, though, as I have endometriosis and tend to get intestinal bloating and inflammation around that time which contributes to the weight.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I'm menopausal and don't deal with menstrual weight issues, but the scale does fluctuate wildly for me depending on sodium, carbohydrate intake, amount of sleep, and things like DOMS.

It is dispiriting to see the scale fluctuate, and I went through a very long period of it messing with my head. I started a spread sheet (something I'd done in the past) and went back to using a weight trending app. I'm back in a more comfortable head space because those two things combined let me see past the noise of the scale.

Weight trending apps are free and are really helpful to avoid monthly scale disappointment. Give it time, though, and you'll see that your efforts are paying off! Popular apps are Happy Scale, Libra, and Trendweight.
  • LadySaton
    LadySaton Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I only record my weight once a week because the daily fluctuations are so ridiculously all over the place. Even with recording only once a week, my weight is still likely to go up just before my period, even when I *know* I did everything right that week and have definitely lost body fat. I don’t mind carrying some extra water weight around and just remind myself that some fat is definitely gone and there is no reason to angst over it. I normally “lose” at least twice the weekly weight the next week so it evens out. I’m normally more aware of my choices the week before my period too and I feel that lets me remember all the good choices I made when I see that upward bump on my weight log. Remembering all the hard work lets me see those less than ideal results and not care 1%.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,481 Member
    Options
    Welcome to being a woman. I'd suggest you just accept it as it's only water and not bodyfat. The only alternative I know if is to take the contraceptive pill in long-term cycle. I do this and only deal with increased water weight about 3times per year. However, I have a pill that has literally no site effects for me, and I'd need to call in sick every month for 2-3 days otherwise. Thus there's a reason for doing this.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options
    If you know you gain weight when you get your period and it upsets you, just don't weigh yourself....?

Right, I don't often weigh myself at that time either.

But when I was weighing daily, I compared myself to last month rather than last week. Like many women, I also retain when I ovulate, so ditto for that.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I've found daily weighing and watching my trend to be valuable here. I usually have two noticable bumps in water weight each month. The chart of daily weights below is from October, when I was losing at a decent rate. It's fairly easy to see where ovulation and TOM fell :wink:
    o2q71cao0asn.jpg
  • LadySaton
    Options
    LadySaton wrote: »
    I only record my weight once a week because the daily fluctuations are so ridiculously all over the place. Even with recording only once a week, my weight is still likely to go up just before my period, even when I *know* I did everything right that week and have definitely lost body fat. I don’t mind carrying some extra water weight around and just remind myself that some fat is definitely gone and there is no reason to angst over it. I normally “lose” at least twice the weekly weight the next week so it evens out. I’m normally more aware of my choices the week before my period too and I feel that lets me remember all the good choices I made when I see that upward bump on my weight log. Remembering all the hard work lets me see those less than ideal results and not care 1%.

Weighing weekly is fine, but it carries the risk of catching yourself on a high day too (and presumably, having to live with the skewed results for another week). Many find that weighing daily actually helps them stress less over time as they become acclimated to the fluctuations. And a weight trending app like Happy Scale can help a person keep their eyes on the actual trend.
    I weigh every morning as a daily habit. I just record it in my app once a week. If I record daily weigh ins my graph looks ridiculous. 🤣
  • pinuplove
    Options

Weighing weekly is fine, but it carries the risk of catching yourself on a high day too (and presumably, having to live with the skewed results for another week). Many find that weighing daily actually helps them stress less over time as they become acclimated to the fluctuations. And a weight trending app like Happy Scale can help a person keep their eyes on the actual trend.
    I weigh every morning as a daily habit. I just record it in my app once a week. If I record daily weigh ins my graph looks ridiculous. 🤣

But that 'ridiculous' graph shows you some very insightful trends, if you care to interpret them :)
  • LadySaton
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »

But that 'ridiculous' graph shows you some very insightful trends, if you care to interpret them :)
    Yeah, I imagine it would. I just don’t care enough to do all that, I guess. I’m pretty chill about it so long as I’m trending down over time. Since I already know what triggers my weight gains, I can just ignore them because I know it’ll even back out because it alwwys has. I can see the benefit in tracking that until you know what triggers your water weight though.
  • pinuplove
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »

Yeah, I imagine it would. I just don’t care enough to do all that, I guess. I’m pretty chill about it so long as I’m trending down over time. Since I already know what triggers my weight gains, I can just ignore them because I know it’ll even back out because it alwwys has. I can see the benefit in tracking that until you know what triggers your water weight though.

Or if you're a data nerd :lol:
  • PaigeAnderson1793
    PaigeAnderson1793 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue when I menstruate. I always gain a few pounds, but they go away within a day or two of my period ending. Hang in there and stick with what you're doing. It will pay off!