Donated Blood

Options
I donated blood for the first time and it was a pint of blood. How long till I can exercise again?

Replies

• lerob
    lerob Posts: 4
    Options
    Eight hours, though you'll probably notice a shortness of breath until the next day! Don't do anything strenuous. (Hint: if you have a wife or a husband, utilize this excuse to maximum extent!)

EDIT: Also, thank you so much for donating blood! You never know -- you might one day save my life! Thank you for making a difference!
  • meli_medina
    meli_medina Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    The remainder of the day. Per Red Cross's web site. :)

http://www.givelife2.org/donor/faq.asp
  • ktbug82
    ktbug82 Posts: 166
    Options
    Since it's your first time...wait until tomorrow to be on the safe side. I've seen plenty of people who think they feel fine hours afterward but once they really start moving they feel sick/faint.
  • microwoman999
    microwoman999 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    You should wait at least 5 hours after donating blood! This is recommended by American red cross
  • microwoman999
    microwoman999 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    You should wait at least 5 hours after donating blood! This is recommended by American red cross

http://www.livestrong.com/article/466756-can-i-exercise-after-donating-blood/
  • ryantrues
    ryantrues Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I recently donated. I found over the internet, each donation is approx. 600 calories spent to replenish prior blood volume. Enjoy a post donation nutritional celebratory meal for your "good will". Exercise should be fine after 1-2 days. Hydration is essential. You acutely lost 1 pint of blood. Remember, you may initailly feel like you fatigue more easily. That is simply your body has less oxygen carrying capacity to deliver nutrition and oxygen to the cells. This is temporary. Good luck.
  • kbarry90
    kbarry90 Posts: 48
    Options
    I donate blood regularly. I would wait until the next day to exercise again.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Didn't the blood bank give you some info?
    I'd follow what they suggested, otherwise wait 24 hours if you aren't sure how you will react.
    The most important thing to do now is to keep drinking plenty of water and have a snack to help your body replenish the blood you've given.
  • musicmint
    musicmint Posts: 469
    Options
    And whats even cooler is I am the universal blood donor. I am O-, which means I could save anyone's life with my blood! Thats worth way more than the temporary crap feeling you get afterwards.
  • nosugarcoating
    nosugarcoating Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    And whats even cooler is I am the universal blood donor. I am O-, which means I could save anyone's life with my blood! Thats worth way more than the temporary crap feeling you get afterwards.

Only sucks when you are the one needing the blood. But yeah, it's great that you give blood, hospitals need all the 0- blood they can get!

I am A+ and I've donated regularly before though it's been a while since my last time as I now live in a small town where they have blood donation days once every few months and I was sick for the last one. Not sure if I could still give blood now because I am on Metformin.

I would definitely wait till the next day. I have donated blood maybe 15 times and sometimes I felt really faint even hours after. Just drink lots to replace the loss of fluid. Your body replaces the blood within a day or two.