Macro C55%, P25%, F20% - Diet help

Options
fpsanti
fpsanti Posts: 7 Member
edited January 2019 in Food and Nutrition
Hi,

I am currently trying to follow a diet with the following macros: 55% carbs (~270g), 25% protein (~123g), 20% fat (~44g).
I struggle to keep the fat low and to reach the protein and carb levels.
I would like to get some advise about food and recipes to meet my requirements.
I currently get close to my protein goal with protein shakes and bars but it's quite boring and not cheap.
With the carbs I struggle even more. I cannot increase them too much only with fruit, and otherwise, I get additional unwanted fat or simple sugars (trying to stick with complex carbs).

Thank you for any help or link you may share,
Francesco

Some background info about me.
I am 183cm, 80kg, 38 years old, sitting in front of the PC the whole day, training on avg 3x week. I play non professional tennis tournaments, MTB and snowboard. My basic metabolism is about 1900 KCal.
I calculated my macros starting with the proteins: weight x 1.4 (strength + endurance). Then I kept the fat fixed at 20% and derived the carbs.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,943 Member
    Options
    The default setting on this site is 50C/30F/20P. I find that a more reasonable split, but I tend to eat way over on those fats and under on carbs. That's fine to do, I've always done it and it suits me and I'm able to maintain my weight on that.

Try to hit that Protein goal and if you go over on fats that's fine.

Calories are king for weight. Protein is important, though. Hit that one!
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    That is roughly my breakdown - I do high 319g carbs (low 219); Fat is in 55g (23%) and protein is 135g (25%)

Look to your whole gains - rice, Farro, Barley - they give you a huge carb boost with limited fat (bonus the protein also adds up); low fat Greek yogurt (triple oikos or similar);

You didn’t mention meat for your protein - 4oz chicken is going to get you 20ish g; same with other lean cuts
  • fpsanti
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies.
    What about low fat snacks recommendation? Greek yogurt is good but cannot have it every day.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    fpsanti wrote: »
    What about low fat snacks recommendation? Greek yogurt is good but cannot have it every day.

Why can't you have it every day? I buy lower fat (2%) Greek yogurt and have it every day with fresh fruit and walnuts.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I pretty much have at least 1 Greek yogurt a day; more often 2 (which gives me 30g protein and 28g carbs)

And it tends to be cheaper than most protein bars and shakes
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I am currently trying to follow a diet with the following macros: 55% carbs (~270g), 25% protein (~123g), 20% fat (~44g).

If it would be easier, consider lowing carbs a bit and having more fat.
    I currently get close to my protein goal with protein shakes and bars but it's quite boring and not cheap.
    With the carbs I struggle even more. I cannot increase them too much only with fruit, and otherwise, I get additional unwanted fat or simple sugars (trying to stick with complex carbs).

Complex vs. simple carbs has nothing to do with nutrition. The calories in fruit are actually mostly from simple carbs (sugar). Your body easily breaks down complex carbs (starch) into sugar when digesting. The important distinction (besides calories) in sources of carbs are fiber and micronutrients, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with having some foods that are lower in both if your diet is overall healthy and you are in your calories.

That said beans and lentils will be add protein and carbs (as well as fiber). Also peas and chickpeas. These are all low fat.

Potatoes and sweet potatoes are easy to add to a diet, have plenty of micronutrients, and are a great carb source and low in fat.

Whole grains are another good source of carbs.

Rice and pasta, same.

For more protein, how about lean meats, fish? Low or no fat dairy (cottage cheese, plain greek yogurt)?

I'm assuming you are eating vegetables already, but of course they are important -- will contribute a little protein and some carbs, but not a ton because they are so low cal. Important for micros rather than macros.
  • maronesax1972
    maronesax1972 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I travel quite a bit too. I avoid restaurants for dinner. Instead I opt to hit the local grocery store. I will grab a whole rotisserie chicken and a bag of frozen broccoli. I’ll get 35g of protein from the chicken for dinner and only 5g of fat and basically zero carbs. I’m really only eating the breast meat. Then some fresh fruit for dessert, if i still need some carbs. Basically a low fat dinner. It helps balance my daily macros by doing so.

Also adding chicken into my egg white omelette which is my breakfast of choice. That’s another 35g of protein.

Adding a bar here and yogurt there, along with protein in my lunch, I’m averaging about 130g/day. Only use the shakes on lifting days...to bump protein to 170g on those days.
  • fpsanti
    Options

Why can't you have it every day? I buy lower fat (2%) Greek yogurt and have it every day with fresh fruit and walnuts.

Just find it a bit boring... 😇
  • fpsanti
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Hi,

If it would be easier, consider lowing carbs a bit and having more fat.

Complex vs. simple carbs has nothing to do with nutrition. The calories in fruit are actually mostly from simple carbs (sugar). Your body easily breaks down complex carbs (starch) into sugar when digesting. The important distinction (besides calories) in sources of carbs are fiber and micronutrients, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with having some foods that are lower in both if your diet is overall healthy and you are in your calories.

That said beans and lentils will be add protein and carbs (as well as fiber). Also peas and chickpeas. These are all low fat.

Potatoes and sweet potatoes are easy to add to a diet, have plenty of micronutrients, and are a great carb source and low in fat.

Whole grains are another good source of carbs.

Rice and pasta, same.

For more protein, how about lean meats, fish? Low or no fat dairy (cottage cheese, plain greek yogurt)?

I'm assuming you are eating vegetables already, but of course they are important -- will contribute a little protein and some carbs, but not a ton because they are so low cal. Important for micros rather than macros.

Just switched (temporary) to 50C, 30F, 20P and the numbers look more reasonable and the diet more doable. Let's see what it brings and if I can manage it in the long run.
  • fpsanti
    Options
    I travel quite a bit too. I avoid restaurants for dinner. Instead I opt to hit the local grocery store. I will grab a whole rotisserie chicken and a bag of frozen broccoli. I’ll get 35g of protein from the chicken for dinner and only 5g of fat and basically zero carbs. I’m really only eating the breast meat. Then some fresh fruit for dessert, if i still need some carbs. Basically a low fat dinner. It helps balance my daily macros by doing so.

Also adding chicken into my egg white omelette which is my breakfast of choice. That’s another 35g of protein.

Adding a bar here and yogurt there, along with protein in my lunch, I’m averaging about 130g/day. Only use the shakes on lifting days...to bump protein to 170g on those days.

One additional fitness "challenge" I did not mention before is my family (with 2 small kids). My wife cooks everyday delicious meals but they are quite high in calories and fat. Needless to say that I tried to suggest some changes without success... So the meals at home are somehow unavoidable (dinner and weekends) and a threat to my diet if I want to have a happy wedding. 😇
    Did anyone experience something similar? If so, how did you solve it?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

One additional fitness "challenge" I did not mention before is my family (with 2 small kids). My wife cooks everyday delicious meals but they are quite high in calories and fat. Needless to say that I tried to suggest some changes without success... So the meals at home are somehow unavoidable (dinner and weekends) and a threat to my diet if I want to have a happy wedding. 😇

Why is it needless to say that you suggested changes without success? :huh:

Maybe you need a better conversation with your wife? Or offer to cook? Or get better at planning your macros round your evening meal?
  • fpsanti
    Options

Maybe you need a better conversation with your wife? Or offer to cook? Or get better at planning your macros round your evening meal?

I prepared a list of 20+ different meals and recipes on paper and digital version. I prepared a weekly meal plan including shopping list and home delivery. I cook when I can, mostly weekends and I try to prepare some food in advance for the rest of the week. I also unsuccessfully suggested to replace cream or some fat cheese with Greek yogurt or low fat versions in some recipes.
    The real problem is that she takes it personal (she thinks I don't like her recipes or that we shall all eat healthier because I think she is fat, ...). Perhaps I am painting black now, but it's not a tragedy. It's just difficult for me to have full control of my diet.
    Anyway, I think we are going a bit OT.
  • fpsanti
    edited January 2019
    Options
    "Needless" because I still have this issue. Otherwise, I would not post here asking for help :)
  • cmriverside
    Options

I prepared a list of 20+ different meals and recipes on paper and digital version. I prepared a weekly meal plan including shopping list and home delivery. I cook when I can, mostly weekends and I try to prepare some food in advance for the rest of the week. I also unsuccessfully suggested to replace cream or some fat cheese with Greek yogurt or low fat versions in some recipes.
    The real problem is that she takes it personal (she thinks I don't like her recipes or that we shall all eat healthier because I think she is fat, ...). Perhaps I am painting black now, but it's not a tragedy. It's just difficult for me to have full control of my diet.
    Anyway, I think we are going a bit OT.

Yeah, lots of people live with someone who cooks food that is higher cal. I get it.

Smaller portions, and then grab a bag of those steamer vegetables for yourself for every meal. Add very little cheese or butter, just enough for flavor. You can also have fresh vegetables that you fix yourself for each meal to bulk up your meal. It doesn't do any good for her to save you 30 calories by using greek yogurt if you are still loading your plate.

I think that with time and as you lose weight and are sticking to it, she'll find ways to be on your team IF YOU are kind and gentle in this initial phase. Volunteer to cook a couple days per week and if she likes your meals, (like with greek yogurt instead of sour cream) then maybe she'll want to experiment too.