70+ users

Options
Im 72 and looking for age appropriate fitness content. Anyone else with aches and pains out there?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,058 Member
    Options
    I'm 'only' 63, but maybe qualify by having some aches and pains (torn meniscus, some minor OA, currently working with shoulder impingement . . .).

IMO, it matters what the specific issues are. Experiment common-sensically, and figure out what avoids aggravating your individual pre-existing problems.

If you're new to doing much exercise, start slowly: Low intensity, short duration, rest days in between. Then, gradually increase to keep a little challenge and make progress.

There are real-life classes and YouTube videos aimed at senior beginners, and at people with specific limitations.

For those without specific contraindications, walking, pool exercises, yoga, tai chi or weight machines can be good starters.

As we age, it's especially important to avoid injury, as healing is slower, and we de-train a little faster. This makes gradual, steady progress the best strategy. Fortunately, character traits and self-insight we've honed over the decades can help us with persistence and consistency.

Take advantage of recovery measures: Of course adequate hydration and good nutrition, but also stretching after exercise or when stiff, use ice or heat when appropriate, epsom salt baths, etc.

With my knee issues, I've found I personally should limit exercises involving impact and torque on my knees. My commonest activities are rowing (boats and machines, and cycling (spin classes and outdoor). I do some weight training, and strive for enough walking to stay conditioned to it (not lots; frequent volume bothers my knees), plus a few random other things occasionally. I'm pretty active now, but it's something I worked up to over a long period of time.

Often, among people our age, the biggest limitation on us can be our own and others' low expectations of us. Try things sensibly and cautiously: I'll bet you'll surprise yourself. :)

Best wishes!
  • Susiew2018
    Susiew2018 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Grow Young Fitness on the internet is for seniors. He's a young man who understands aches & pains & taking it easy on your body but still working out for strength & flexibility. Check it out. I use it & like it.
  • dukeofthedeck
    dukeofthedeck Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm 72 also. Arthritis in my neck, bursitis in my hip, bad knees from an old football injury. I do a stretching routine prior to using any weight equipment or cardio. It keeps the pain level at a manageable level.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    I'm only 62 but I can relate to the aches and pains part! One thing that's highly recommended for those of us of a certain age (both men and women) is to incorporate strength training into our regimen. It can help with bone density and bone marrow health as well as helping with daily tasks of living.

ideally you should be able to find a trainer or physiotherapist knowledgeable in the issues facing older clients who can assess your current fitness level and design a program with your specific needs in mind.
  • jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    75 here. First, I ride horses which us my passion and helped me to avoid totally getting out of shape. Needing to do more, I started out with pool exercises since I had a very bad knee. After knee replacement (best thing I ever did), I added the rowing machine. Two months ago I added weights. Currently, I do weights 3x per week, pool exercises 3x per week ("recovery" days after weight training), row 5-6 x a week (20 min) and ride 6 days a week.

Since starting this journey, I am also down a little over 60 pounds and have not had to take anything for arthritis pain in over 5 months. Overall I feel better than I have in years. Needless to say, I am a happy camper
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Aches and pain abound in my poor 66 year old bod! Add me for mutual support if you want positive reinforcement!
  • Healthydiner65
    Options
    I'm only 62 but I can relate to the aches and pains part! One thing that's highly recommended for those of us of a certain age (both men and women) is to incorporate strength training into our regimen. It can help with bone density and bone marrow health as well as helping with daily tasks of living.

ideally you should be able to find a trainer or physiotherapist knowledgeable in the issues facing older clients who can assess your current fitness level and design a program with your specific needs in mind.

Very good advice!
  • Healthydiner65
    Options
    Susiew2018 wrote: »
    Grow Young Fitness on the internet is for seniors. He's a young man who understands aches & pains & taking it easy on your body but still working out for strength & flexibility. Check it out. I use it & like it.

I’ll check it out! Thanks!