Protein shakes

Looking at loosing weight! Are protein shakes gonna be any good for me? I’m so unsure!

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Protein shakes are just food, they don't directly help or hurt your weight loss. If you are typically low in protein, a shake can be a lower cal way to get more.
  • RAFLowCarb
    RAFLowCarb Posts: 30 Member
    Not really.... you should be able to eat enough protein in your diet to maintain the lean mass you have. You just have to do a little bit of maths/research into your bodyweight/fat percentage to work out your ideal protein amount - then work out your fat/carb macros from there. Always try to start with protein amounts otherwise there’s a danger that you lose the parts of your body you don’t want to! Ideally do resistance training too - as you increase your muscle mass, you will burn more calories at rest!
  • RAFLowCarb
    RAFLowCarb Posts: 30 Member
    The caveats to the above is if you do want to increase muscle mass... then sometime a protein shake can help... just try to get the best quality that contains the least amount of added carbohydrates and remember to log all the ingredients in your daily macros.
  • mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsa12
    mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsa12 Posts: 204 Member
    I just recently started drinking protein shakes. I wasn’t looking to up my protein but I was hungry in the afternoon and I found that a pea protein shake around 3.30 fills me up until dinner far more effectively tgsn other 100 cal snacks.

You should aim to eat a balanced diet, but if you enjoy protein shakes and you want to include them in your diet there is no reason why you shouldn’t, provided you stay within you calorie allowance.