Advice please

Options
I have a routine that I do regularly, including tricep extentions.
After my most recent weight increase in this particular exercise it became very noticeable that my left arm is significantly weaker than my right. As in I was getting to 8 reps before needing to push through with right but only 4-5 with left.
As of today it feels like I'm ready to go up a weight with my right arm, but am still struggling from rep 8 onwards with left (so not ready).
Do I go up the weight and then force through (drop weight) on the left? Or stick to the same weight until I feel left is at same stage that right is?

For clarity sake: I do both barbell and dumbells work along with trx and bodyweight. I do tricep extentions and skull crushers with dumbells to try and make sure that I work both arms and one doesn't take over all the work.

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    Options
    If you're not ready to increase the weight on it, don't, listen to your body. Better to take a little longer than to do yourself an injury.
  • Strongfitmama100412
    Options
    Most of us have one arm stronger than the other. Usually the more dominant arm. Usually the one you write with. Im stronger in my right but im a lefty but if i was to throw a ball or use scissors i use my right.

For triceps extensions i use one weight. Stand, Hold above your head either hold the weight vertically or horizontally.
    This way your stronger arm can assist your weaker arm

Going forward, i would try to get stronger in the other arm by pushing through the reps without compromising form. Working on it you will get there.

tricep dips, tricep push downs using the rope and tricep pushups are also good tricep exercises to incorporate into your routine using both arms.

You will gain more strength working on it.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Most of us have one arm stronger than the other. Usually the more dominant arm. Usually the one you write with. Im stronger in my right but im a lefty but if i was to throw a ball or use scissors i use my right.

For triceps extensions i use one weight. Stand, Hold above your head either hold the weight vertically or horizontally.
    This way your stronger arm can assist your weaker arm

Going forward, i would try to get stronger in the other arm by pushing through the reps without compromising form. Working on it you will get there.

tricep dips, tricep push downs using the rope and tricep pushups are also good tricep exercises to incorporate into your routine using both arms.

You will gain more strength working on it.

I already do a lot of work where both arms are involved, I do dips, tricep dips, tricep kicks, tricep push ups, close grip bench, tricep extentions on the trx.
    It's just the single arm tricep extentions I'm wondering about, tbh I'm thinking of trying upping the weight (I'm only on 5kg so it would only be going up to 6kg) pushing through the first few reps then dropping back to 5kg. Trouble is that the difference between arms is very noticeable, and it feels like the left (my dominant side) is h holding back the right.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to a cable machine? You could try these for awhile, see if it helps balance things out.

in0ce9jpv8l2.jpg
  • beatyfamily1
    beatyfamily1 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Do extra sets with your weaker arm. That’s really the only way to correct the imbalance while continuing to improve on your stronger arm.
  • jmatty_ice
    jmatty_ice Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yeah I agree with the posters above. Don't move up in weight until you correct the muscle imbalance in your left arm. Use the cable machine like quiksylver suggested to help increase your strength - then after a little while do another tricep extension and see if they have evened out.