Exercise with a keto diet?

Hi all!
I'm planning on starting a keto diet. Several times I've tried doing a regular healthy diet and just adding exercise, but that didn't really show the kind of results I'd wished for. So now I'll try out keto.

My question is, how important is exercise with a keto diet? Often I hear that diet is far more important in weight loss, and as somebody who absolutely despises exercise, I'm wondering if keto is on the same line with a regular healthy or low cal diet (not necessary, but definitely helps).

For now I walk to work which adds up to roughly an hour and a half everyday. I hope that'll help me shed some weight, too. How much have you people exercised on a keto diet?

Also, a followup question. If there's anybody here who lives in Japan - do you have any good recipes to use? For now I plan to just go with the regular prawn/beef salads and miso soup and guacamole stuff, but some keto recipes call for ingredients that are pretty expensive here. Any tips?

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,382 Member
    Question: can you imagine eating Keto for the rest of your life, or is it only meant for losing weight?
  • ariaofsorrow
    ariaofsorrow Posts: 4 Member
    yirara wrote: »
    Question: can you imagine eating Keto for the rest of your life, or is it only meant for losing weight?

Right now only for losing weight, but I have thought of possibly going permanently low-carb if the diet suits me well.
  • Longshore
    Longshore Posts: 221 Member
    Everyone tells you exercise is a must to lose weight!!!! This is a totally not the case at all. Food is 85% and Exercise is 15% of your diet. Now if i just diet and dont to exercise I will lose weight but i wont be healthy. In my case i weigh 223lbs so my body needs 2000 calories just to function, so it would burn 2000 calories if i just layed in bed all day long. Now if i eat 2000 and then take into account the calories i burn threw the day like just walking around.... that maybe like 500 calories burned.... that would be a pound a week loss. Keto makes this easy because it surpresses my hunger among many other things.

Any more questions ask away. Ive been doing Keto for years and always willing to help anyone that wants to join THE KETO LIFE!
  • ariaofsorrow
    All weight loss is down to calorie deficit, so if Keto keeps you in a calorie deficit then you do not need exercise to lose weight, however, exercise is beneficial for general health, even if it's just walking.

When you say you tried healthy eating before without results, were you monitoring your calorie intake, because you can gain weight eating "healthy" foods too. It's all about energy balance, your calories out must exceed your calories in.

I was monitoring my calories, but I want to try keto so that I can draw a clearer line on which foods I should avoid. On a regular healthy diet I focused mostly on just counting calories over anything else. That eventually stressed me out a bit and since keto is not so focused on calories, I want to try if it'd work for me better.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    edited January 2019
    All weight loss is down to calorie deficit, so if Keto keeps you in a calorie deficit then you do not need exercise to lose weight, however, exercise is beneficial for general health, even if it's just walking.

When you say you tried healthy eating before without results, were you monitoring your calorie intake, because you can gain weight eating "healthy" foods too. It's all about energy balance, your calories out must exceed your calories in.

I was monitoring my calories, but I want to try keto so that I can draw a clearer line on which foods I should avoid. On a regular healthy diet I focused mostly on just counting calories over anything else. That eventually stressed me out a bit and since keto is not so focused on calories, I want to try if it'd work for me better.

Whilst it may not focus on calories, it's still what matters for any weight loss. If you weren't losing weight counting calories, you weren't logging accurately. You don't need to avoid any food for weight loss. Keto works for some people because it satiates them more than a moderate/high carb. It's by no means a magic pill.
  • ariaofsorrow

Whilst it may not focus on calories, it's still what matters for any weight loss. If you weren't losing weight counting calories, you weren't logging accurately. You don't need to avoid any food for weight loss. Keto works for some people because it satiates them more than a moderate/high carb. It's by no means a magic pill.

Absolutely! I should have been clearer about what I meant with "showing the results I wished for" - I did lose weight. But counting calories for everything I ate gave me some extra stress that was harmful to my mental health at the time, so instead of going back to that I wanted to try a diet that was not as focused on calorie counting. Moreover, a low carb diet is something I've wanted to try long term for some time now, so it's not the only reason. Just looking for the best diet to make me feel better not only physically, but mentally too :)
  • trajik2
    trajik2 Posts: 5 Member
    Absolutely! I should have been clearer about what I meant with "showing the results I wished for" - I did lose weight. But counting calories for everything I ate gave me some extra stress that was harmful to my mental health at the time, so instead of going back to that I wanted to try a diet that was not as focused on calorie counting. Moreover, a low carb diet is something I've wanted to try long term for some time now, so it's not the only reason. Just looking for the best diet to make me feel better not only physically, but mentally too :)

Every WOE or diet is the same - Calorie in, calorie out. Like Tinkerbellang83 said keto is not a magic pill. I had lost before eating at a deficit and was always hungry. Ended up gaining alot of it back. This time around I followed Keto as a WOE and had better results as it kept me satiated and great mental clarity.

Everyone will be different and Keto is not a one size fits all deal. If you can't see yourself eating like that long-term I would say it is not gonna work as the weight will come back.

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member

I'd just like to point out for clarity that it's more accurate to say that some ketoers don't focus as much on calories. Of course all weight loss is driven by calorie deficit. Some ketoers are able for a period to not log, as their appetite is decreased enough to enable that calorie deficit. But many do not achieve enough appetite suppression or the suppression on it's own is only sufficient until their calorie needs decrease enough to erase that deficit. Then they're going to have to realize they need to decrease portion size or start overtly logging.

I did fine on lazy keto (just counting carbs) for 3 months, then I stopped losing. I had to begin to log and count calories, because my needs had decreased enough to eliminate the deficit. I never lost my appetite to the degree others have experienced, so artificial constraints had to be placed. I went on to lose the rest of my weight over the next year counting calories on keto.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited January 2019
    Hi all!
    I'm planning on starting a keto diet. Several times I've tried doing a regular healthy diet and just adding exercise, but that didn't really show the kind of results I'd wished for. So now I'll try out keto.

Did you calorie count? weight your food? for how long?

note that even with keto you still need to eat at a calorie deficit which means weighing and logging food.

ETA: never mind you answered. But while some may natural fall into a calorie deficit with keto, most still need to count calories.