Quick question about machine vs free weight

Options
So my Y is super busy right now and the free weights are constantly being used. I went to do my squats the other day and there was literally a line, so I took the chance to use the squat machine instead.

It was ridiculously easy. Easy to the point that even though at the time I felt like I was definitely working to lift it, I didn't feel like I had actually done much by the time I was finished. Like the whole thing just felt empty. Today I don't even have like a post workout soreness.

Are free weights that much more intense?

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Squat machine? Not sure what you're referring to.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Are you talking about a leg press? Just put more weight on...most people can leg press more than they squat...it's a different movement.

That was my thought, too. I can leg press like 900 lbs, and squat 260. :laugh:
  • antsosbo
    antsosbo Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    xf2kon1ndc3l.jpg
  • antsosbo
    antsosbo Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I mean I added more weight than I would have with my free weight squats as I said to make it feel more like I was getting a workout, but afterwards it was just a feeling of...ok I guess I worked out. Where as normally I finish squats like, woo! thank god thats over for the day.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Simply put, machine squats do not easily translate to barbell squats, nor is there a simple conversion...like the leg press comparison, one should easily be able to machine squat >>> barbell/free weight squat.
    Can machine squat 3-5 rep max close to 500lbs (plate loaded machine) but tremble in fear attempting 315lb barbell squat
  • Mschmitt1119
    Mschmitt1119 Posts: 65 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I actually have that machine at my gym and based off of the comments collectively are about right. The machine forces balance and form, so you can do increased weight, but at the same time, you lose the benefits that come from being forced to stabilize your own body with the barbell. So you will feel a difference simply from that, which is why you can always manage to do more weight on machines than free weights. But if your in a rush and the squat rack is swamped just do the most on the machine and do body weight squat variations for the stability training.
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Is that a reverse hack squat?
  • Deep751
    Deep751 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    the main difference between doing sqat in machine vs free weight is the importance of core and other accessory muscle mainly 60% about core and the posture chain....which has to be strong...my free sqat is 140kg*8 reps....but when I do in smith machine it sometimes goes close to even 190-195 kg*8 reps....as the core and posture chain has not to work that much....I basically understand one thing machine is for definition and free weight are for strength gain so best way to go is combine the best of both the world...
  • vindidj
    vindidj Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I would suggest slowing down your reps to increase time under tension and intensity while using a machine. Count out 4 to 5 seconds on both the eccentric and concentric motions. When doing leg press, don't allow yourself a rest at extension, but instead get your legs back under load again on the way down. The machine fixes your body motion as noted by many above giving you more control. Use that control to your advantage.