fasting sort of

Options
So, I found this: A very common duration of intermittent fasting, one that I often do, is about 16 hours. A 16-hour fast involves skipping only one meal, typically breakfast, so it’s easy enough. A shorter fast than this wouldn’t involve missing even one meal, so we probably couldn’t characterize it as a real intermittent fast.
on https://medium.com/the-mission/the-sweet-spot-for-intermittent-fasting-9aae12a2158c
_____
And have tried it for a week. My scale shows basically the same up and down two or three pounds. So, no joy :(

It may be back to weight watchers for me. I thought by not eating after 6 pm and holding off til noon I'd see some results. But not! hummmmm

Replies

• Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    You still have to eat fewer calories than you burn. Also, one week is not enough time to quit if you don't see results.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    dirkfour4 wrote: »
    So, I found this: A very common duration of intermittent fasting, one that I often do, is about 16 hours. A 16-hour fast involves skipping only one meal, typically breakfast, so it’s easy enough. A shorter fast than this wouldn’t involve missing even one meal, so we probably couldn’t characterize it as a real intermittent fast.
    on https://medium.com/the-mission/the-sweet-spot-for-intermittent-fasting-9aae12a2158c
    _____
    And have tried it for a week. My scale shows basically the same up and down two or three pounds. So, no joy :(

It may be back to weight watchers for me. I thought by not eating after 6 pm and holding off til noon I'd see some results. But not! hummmmm

Weight loss is all about the calorie deficit. I have eaten in a window like you're describing, basically skipping breakfast, for years and it has no effect on my weight (breakfast just makes me hungry all day so I skip it) I have lost, intentionally gained, and maintained on track with whatever my calorie goal is. It's a window that helps with compliance, not weight loss.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    MFP isn't about fasting. If fasting doesn't work for you, then try calorie counting the way MFP was designed. Also, one week is not much time to see results. Don't give up so early. I'm sure, like most of us, you started this for your health. Keep at it.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    849fcg3spuwh.jpg
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,943 Member
    Options
    Yeah, just stay within calories. That's it.

I also eat in an eight hour window usually, but I still stay within my calories.

Weight Watchers is the same basic idea, stay within points. Calories are just a lot easier to calculate and it allows for more varied eating.

Give it a couple months of staying in CALORIE goal.