I am miserable with a Partial plantar tear!

Options
It took 8 agonizing months and four doctors to figure out what was wrong with me. I'm now in a rocker boot and just miserable!

Anyone?

Replies

• RunnerGirl238
    RunnerGirl238 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I get it. My rotator cuff is going and I want to cry.
  • Jenpiddles
    Jenpiddles Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Yep, I partially tore mine about a year ago. I never did the special shoe or boot, just sucked it up and tried to get over it (I'm an awful patient). Finally I am starting to walk normally, but i still have a good amount of pain. I fractured my big toe a few months before, and it was nothing like this pain. My poor toes have held the V shape. I'm hoping it continues to get better on it's own.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    urgh that`s a long time for a diagnosis. hope you can heal soon :(

i had to suddenly stop running end of August and still not doing much beyond walking (tentatively doing yoga). multiple professionals with no concrete diagnosis. seeing a sport medicine doctor ... at some point waiting for referral (but could be months once i get a referal!).

Running may or may not be in my future. but whlie my pain isn`t debilitating it`s super annoying to always have it around whenever i try to do stuff and not knowing where it is safe to push. But I am hoping to try cycling so I have a back-up plan if the running isn`t in my future (or maybe i can do both to balance things out).

two things we do know: the patella on my left knee is pulling to the side. and I have arthritis in both knees. but neither fully explain my issues.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    This time of year is especially hard, without everyone but me going hard and being badass. I'm feeling sorry for myself.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't have the same thing but I have an inflamed posterior tibial tendon. First time in happened back in 2009, it tooks months to get it under control. I have been good for almost 10 years. It flared up in November due to me wearing flats too much. I've been in a walking boot for 4 weeks now with no real sign of improvement (this tendon is the hardest one to calm down). I'm heading into a depression now because I *want* to exercise. Tried to take a break from the boot the other day and do some gentle work on my treadmill...bad idea. I've been trying to ride a stationary bike but, honestly, it seems useless. A lot of people have recommended swimming to me but I have a skin condition that gets horribly aggravated by chlorine so that's out. Honestly I just don't know what to do.
  • MostlyWater
    Options
    Jenpiddles wrote: »
    Yep, I partially tore mine about a year ago. I never did the special shoe or boot, just sucked it up and tried to get over it (I'm an awful patient). Finally I am starting to walk normally, but i still have a good amount of pain. I fractured my big toe a few months before, and it was nothing like this pain. My poor toes have held the V shape. I'm hoping it continues to get better on it's own.

I'm no expert, but from Googling and speaking to a number of doctors, it doesn't get better on its own. It will most likely tear more and then you will need surgery. Why not take the bull by its horns and let it heal now?

Every step you take is aggregating it further. And I don't mean jumping, I mean regular walking!

• MostlyWater
    Options
    CMNVA wrote: »
    Well, I don't have the same thing but I have an inflamed posterior tibial tendon. First time in happened back in 2009, it tooks months to get it under control. I have been good for almost 10 years. It flared up in November due to me wearing flats too much. I've been in a walking boot for 4 weeks now with no real sign of improvement (this tendon is the hardest one to calm down). I'm heading into a depression now because I *want* to exercise. Tried to take a break from the boot the other day and do some gentle work on my treadmill...bad idea. I've been trying to ride a stationary bike but, honestly, it seems useless. A lot of people have recommended swimming to me but I have a skin condition that gets horribly aggravated by chlorine so that's out. Honestly I just don't know what to do.

Upper body workouts - like kickboxing, but just with the arms. The arm bike at the gym. You can do seated weights too.

And core work, if you're careful with your boo-boo leg. A lot of pilates is seated; that might be an option for you.

Chair workouts - there must be you-tube videos for them - without the leg part.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    Panini911 wrote: »
    urgh that`s a long time for a diagnosis. hope you can heal soon :(

i had to suddenly stop running end of August and still not doing much beyond walking (tentatively doing yoga). multiple professionals with no concrete diagnosis. seeing a sport medicine doctor ... at some point waiting for referral (but could be months once i get a referal!).

Running may or may not be in my future. but whlie my pain isn`t debilitating it`s super annoying to always have it around whenever i try to do stuff and not knowing where it is safe to push. But I am hoping to try cycling so I have a back-up plan if the running isn`t in my future (or maybe i can do both to balance things out).

two things we do know: the patella on my left knee is pulling to the side. and I have arthritis in both knees. but neither fully explain my issues.

Why did I get a woo?
  • Theindomitablejeeves
    Options
    I had a wonderful case of plantar fasciitis a couple years ago, and then one magical morning playing soccer, it fully ruptured. While momentarily painful, and despite a couple month healing process, it completely resolved the plantar fasciitis with no other ill effects. I'm not saying go out and run, play, stress it until it tears, but....
  • MostlyWater
    Options
    I had a wonderful case of plantar fasciitis a couple years ago, and then one magical morning playing soccer, it fully ruptured. While momentarily painful, and despite a couple month healing process, it completely resolved the plantar fasciitis with no other ill effects. I'm not saying go out and run, play, stress it until it tears, but....

Did you need surgery?