Need help figuring out proper caloric intake

Options
Hi, all. I've been incredibly weight loss resistant for the past five years (since having a kiddo). I would track my food and eat maybe 1600 calories a day, but my 165 pounds would not budge. In fact, it wouldn't even budge when I ate 2600 calories. Nothing changed my weight. It was infuriating. The MFP app would say I should weigh 160 in five weeks, but I'd weigh myself and nada. Then, all of a sudden a few months ago, I shot up 10 pounds in a month without changing anything and decided I was sick of this crap. I was 135 pre-pregnancy and dropping at that point because I'd gotten healthy and was working out more, etc. I want to get back to 130-135 max.

I decided to go extreme at first to sort of shock my body into reacting since nothing had worked prior. I set my caloric net goal at 1150, with the idea I'd usually eat a little more than that (gross v. net). I'm working out six days a week. 1150 is so low that I often have to "earn" a very reasonable dinner. Some days I might just walk on an incline for an hour on the treadmill, but most days I do elliptical (I have a machine available at work and at home), and every other day I do either machine weights or free weights. Today, I did a Jillian Michaels tape for an hour, supposedly burning some 600 calories.

My net has been very low. On average, I'm coming in about 900-1050 calories net per day. I'm below my target consistently. As for gross, I usually fall around 1300-1350. I'm losing weight -- back down to 165 after that 10-pound gain -- at a rate of about 1-2 lb per week. (I'm at this 165 stage now, though, and skeptical I'll dip below it. I *kitten* you not, I could NOT change that number post-pregnancy no matter what. I had everything tested medically and no one can explain what's up aside from *kitten* hormones.)

As much as I want to lose these 30-35 pounds, I do want to do it in a healthy way. Am I eating too little net? I do allow cheat days -- I had a good 1900-calorie day (gross) once last week because I was ravenous -- in hopes of keeping my metabolism guessing, but most days, like I said, I'm 1300 gross and 1000 net.

Thanks for the input. I've read that losing 2 pounds a week is as far as you should go to be healthy, so I assume I'm in a decent place since that's what I'm losing -- but I also want some friendly feedback from folks here to see if you spot red flags.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    How are you actually measuring your food, with a food scale? I ask because it's not normal that you would experience the exact same results at 1,600 calories and 2,600 calories so it seems likely there is something either going on with your logging or your time expectations may not be realistic.

Can you give us some timelines of how long you were eating 1,600 and not seeing results, how long you were eating 2,600 and not gaining weight, and how long you've been on this current low net calorie plan?
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are netting way too little but that is hard to say without knowing your height. The general recommendation is to net a minimum of 1200 calories/day, but some shorter women can safely go below that.

I second the questions by janejellyroll.
  • AVanBens
    AVanBens Posts: 17 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    When I log, I use MFP and I'm pretty specific about it all. I find the right entry or enter it myself if it doesn't exist. I make a lot of things at home (I'm pescatarian and make my own seitan, for example), and when I do, I create recipes. I don't just choose something from the list and call it good if it's not a precise match. So when I say I was eating 1600, I mean that I logged that amount via MFP. As for 2600, I don't mean to imply I ate that much for any real length of time. I just mean that, in my frustration from not eating, I opted not to log and ate pretty freely and still nothing would change. I spot checked one day and, per my MFP entries, it came to 2600. I doubt I was that high every single day, but the long and short of it is that I stopped logging and ate what I wanted for a couple of months and nothing changed. Those 10 pounds that hit me suddenly came after a surgery, after which I wasn't allowed to exercise for eight weeks. At the four-week mark, I weighed what I always weighed (165). At the eight-week mark, without changing what I ate at all, I was 175. But it was TOM and most of that weight came off in the first week, so I'd guess I probably truly gained four pounds in that month. I can only assume that was from no exercise. Since that first week, I've lost 1-2 pounds weekly.

Thanks for asking.

Oh, and you asked about the current low net plan: I've been doing that since Nov. 30.

ETA: I'm 5'5".
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    AVanBens wrote: »
    When I log, I use MFP and I'm pretty specific about it all. I find the right entry or enter it myself if it doesn't exist. I make a lot of things at home (I'm pescatarian and make my own seitan, for example), and when I do, I create recipes. I don't just choose something from the list and call it good if it's not a precise match. So when I say I was eating 1600, I mean that I logged that amount via MFP. As for 2600, I don't mean to imply I ate that much for any real length of time. I just mean that, in my frustration from not eating, I opted not to log and ate pretty freely and still nothing would change. I spot checked one day and, per my MFP entries, it came to 2600. I doubt I was that high every single day, but the long and short of it is that I stopped logging and ate what I wanted for a couple of months and nothing changed. Those 10 pounds that hit me suddenly came after a surgery, after which I wasn't allowed to exercise for eight weeks. At the four-week mark, I weighed what I always weighed (165). At the eight-week mark, without changing what I ate at all, I was 175. But it was TOM and most of that weight came off in the first week, so I'd guess I probably truly gained four pounds in that month. I can only assume that was from no exercise. Since that first week, I've lost 1-2 pounds weekly.

Thanks for asking.

Oh, and you asked about the current low net plan: I've been doing that since Nov. 30.

ETA: I'm 5'5".

How long did you eat 1,600 and not lose any weight?

Does your logging routine include a food scale? If you open your diary, we may be able to help troubleshoot.

If you're currently losing 1-2 pounds a week, that sounds like a good rate of loss.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
  • AVanBens
    Options
    Oh, wow. OK. I'll grab a food scale. I'd felt as though I inputted accurately by using cups and such. I didn't know that could be so off the mark. I'll grab a scale and see how that alters things. Thanks much.

And to answer above: I would log for 4-8 weeks at a time here and there at 1400-1600 calories. Then I'd get frustrated with not moving an ounce and pack it in. I'm hesitant to open the diary yet. I'd done that a few years back -- well, some five years, when I was on a fitness kick before we got pregnant -- and had to deal with too many jerks who were not at all helpful but sure thought quite highly of themselves. So nothing personal, but I'm newly returned and a little gunshy. My macros over the past week average 52 carbs/35 fat/13 protein. I'm going to add whey protein or something because I'm just not getting quite enough in my mostly vegetarian diet. I'll aim to curb carbs a bit, too. Largely I genuinely eat healthy -- no meat, no fast food, no added salt (I average some 1500mg a day). Our treats are decent on stats even. I crave sweets sometimes so won't refuse myself those, and I do need more fresh vegetables. I eat out maybe twice a week. I have two coffees with creamer a day. I drink raw milk from a local Amish farm (though I've had to cut back to half a cup a day because it's otherwise too much a hit on an 1150-calorie plan).
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    A food scale will be a complete game changer for you. That and faithfully logging your food intake every day will help you zero in on your weight goals. Also, make sure that you're eating the calorie recommendation that MFP is giving you and try not to go below that on a regular basis. They've done all the maths for you-trust the process :)
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Oh, wow. OK. I'll grab a food scale. I'd felt as though I inputted accurately by using cups and such. I didn't know that could be so off the mark. I'll grab a scale and see how that alters things. Thanks much.

<<snipped>>

Yay! Report back and let us know what you found out about your servings/calories!
  • janejellyroll
    Options

And to answer above: I would log for 4-8 weeks at a time here and there at 1400-1600 calories. Then I'd get frustrated with not moving an ounce and pack it in. I'm hesitant to open the diary yet. I'd done that a few years back -- well, some five years, when I was on a fitness kick before we got pregnant -- and had to deal with too many jerks who were not at all helpful but sure thought quite highly of themselves. So nothing personal, but I'm newly returned and a little gunshy. My macros over the past week average 52 carbs/35 fat/13 protein. I'm going to add whey protein or something because I'm just not getting quite enough in my mostly vegetarian diet. I'll aim to curb carbs a bit, too. Largely I genuinely eat healthy -- no meat, no fast food, no added salt (I average some 1500mg a day). Our treats are decent on stats even. I crave sweets sometimes so won't refuse myself those, and I do need more fresh vegetables. I eat out maybe twice a week. I have two coffees with creamer a day. I drink raw milk from a local Amish farm (though I've had to cut back to half a cup a day because it's otherwise too much a hit on an 1150-calorie plan).

Some people find that they do just fine with measuring cups, but I found myself constantly cycling through losing and gaining the same five pounds before I began more accurately measuring with a scale. It really varies, but if you find that you're stuck it is worth a try!

I'm sorry you had bad experiences with sharing before. If you ever do want to give it a try, I've probably made every kind of logging error there is to make and I promise to be gentle!
  • AVanBens
    Options
    Way too early to know how much of a difference the food scale will make, but I will mention with shame that my cereal estimate was about 2.5 times the right amount. :-O

<<snipped>>

Yay! Report back and let us know what you found out about your servings/calories!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Way too early to know how much of a difference the food scale will make, but I will mention with shame that my cereal estimate was about 2.5 times the right amount. :-O

<<snipped>>

Yep, cereal is notorious for that! No shame :smile:
  • janejellyroll
    Options

<<snipped>>

Haha, we've all had that experience. The first time I weighed almonds . . . geez, it was a trauma!
  • lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    Options

<<snipped>>

Haha, we've all had that experience. The first time I weighed almonds . . . geez, it was a trauma!

Mine was salmon. Was eating about 200 more calories than I had thought.

Although surprisingly when I did angel hair pasta I was really relieved because it’s still a fair amount of pasta.