Menstrual weight gain & bloat :( depressing.

Options
2»

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    If the PMS water gain also makes you ache or cramp more, try reducing your sodium overall. I did that back in college and not only did I not bloat as much, my cramps became much more manageable. I found that I liked my food with less salt and have been eating without added salt for over 40 years. Post menopause here now and loving it.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,410 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    LadySaton wrote: »
    pinuplove wrote: »
    try2again wrote: »
    I only record my weight once a week because the daily fluctuations are so ridiculously all over the place. Even with recording only once a week, my weight is still likely to go up just before my period, even when I *know* I did everything right that week and have definitely lost body fat. I don’t mind carrying some extra water weight around and just remind myself that some fat is definitely gone and there is no reason to angst over it. I normally “lose” at least twice the weekly weight the next week so it evens out. I’m normally more aware of my choices the week before my period too and I feel that lets me remember all the good choices I made when I see that upward bump on my weight log. Remembering all the hard work lets me see those less than ideal results and not care 1%.

Weighing weekly is fine, but it carries the risk of catching yourself on a high day too (and presumably, having to live with the skewed results for another week). Many find that weighing daily actually helps them stress less over time as they become acclimated to the fluctuations. And a weight trending app like Happy Scale can help a person keep their eyes on the actual trend.
    I weigh every morning as a daily habit. I just record it in my app once a week. If I record daily weigh ins my graph looks ridiculous. 🤣

But that 'ridiculous' graph shows you some very insightful trends, if you care to interpret them :)
    Yeah, I imagine it would. I just don’t care enough to do all that, I guess. I’m pretty chill about it so long as I’m trending down over time. Since I already know what triggers my weight gains, I can just ignore them because I know it’ll even back out because it alwwys has. I can see the benefit in tracking that until you know what triggers your water weight though.

Or if you're a data nerd :lol:

Oh yes! That's my reason for getting on the scale each morning!
    TOM (stop week) leads some a bit of waterweight gain for me, but flights, especially more than 3 hours are the killer though! You work out for months, you have a nice 4 pack, you fly on vacation, arrive... and then you're holding onto water for the next 6-8 days :D
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    A few days before the monthlies start, I start to gain weight. It tends to be between 5-10 pounds, and it will slowly start to come down a few days after my monthly starts, and I am back to starting weight about a week after the weight went up. I tend to have 'period' clothing because I go up about 2 sizes or so during that time.
  • bluesheeponahill
    bluesheeponahill Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    i definitely start packing on about 2kilos (4.5lbs) around my period and it takes about a week to come off. I HATE it. but i remind myself its not forever and i definitely lose that once its come and gone. I weigh myself daily, so I do have a fair idea of my upcoming cycle. but i don't let it demoralise me, there's no point. its temporary. not permanent.
  • runrunveg
    runrunveg Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yes, like most people who menstruate, I predictably gain about 3 lbs. right before my period, and by the end of it, they’re gone.

Also: PMS/PMDD often saps my confidence, including how I feel about my body (whether I weigh myself or not). I wonder if that could be part of what you’re experiencing too. If you know to expect that, maybe you can plan a few days off the scale and some activities that will lift you up and help take your mind off the negative thoughts.

Last but not least, 10 lbs won’t come off in two weeks. It will more likely take a couple months if you don’t count water weight fluctuations. That’s ok. Be patient with yourself.
  • GemimaFitzTed
    GemimaFitzTed Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    chloemj23 wrote: »
    Who else here doesn’t lose any weight when on their menstrual? Today has got to be my most insecure day for me. Not only did I gain 10 lbs since the holidays but I’ve been trying to lose those lbs the past 2 weeks. I’ve been eating healthier and sticking to a 1,200 calorie deficit. This morning I decided to weigh myself which I also just got my menstual and this is the heaviest I’ve been. I’ve always been so insecure of myself after I had a baby but it’s making me not even want to step out of the house. My body is easily sensitive to salt (which I was sticking to 1,500mg or less the past two weeks..) but I’m just feeling so unmotivated.

Have I not been losing and holding on to this water weight due to my menstrual symptoms? Does any other ladies on here gain water weight no matter if they eat healthy and exceecise prior and when it’s over? How many lbs are you usually up by and how fast do you lose the water weight?

What you have described is me to a tee. I feel incredibly lazy, sleepy and unmotivated during ovulation until Aunt Flo arrives. I do what you do - reduce salt, still exercise and eat healthy. I will gain an easy 2-5kg (I think thats 5-10lb) during ovulation. I now know this will occur so I stop weighing myself, especially the week before Aunt Flo. I restart weighing myself mid-period because most of the water retention is gone.

Trust me on this - you are doing great. You've got this.