Running Shoes dilemma

Options
I've got a bit of a dilemma regarding my new running shoes that I hope I can get some advice on. Long post but I want you to have all the info.

History- Never -ever- thought I'd start running. But with starting to get fit it seemed like a natural progression. I'd been walking 2-3 miles at lunch and wanted to burn more, improve fitness etc. I tried running one day in my Fila trainers-they are running shoes but not specially fitted-just picked them up at Kohls, had searched enough to know to get ones a little big with toe room, etc. I gave up pretty quickly because I kept feeling like I'd get blisters on the balls of my feet.-never did, but it just had that spotty pain you associate with it.

After a break I decided to start the couch to 5k program. I was inspired by podcasts and articles to use the forefoot running technique. Given my pains with my other shoes, I decided to try a minimalist approach-I figured I wasn't used to running in 'real' shoes so I wouldn't need to relearn anything. Since I was just starting I wanted something cheap just to see if I could do it. So (don't laugh) I bought a pair of Wal-mart swim shoes (water shoes, aquasocks, etc). They fit at the heel, had plenty of room at the toe and had a drawstring so I could tighten them.

So for 2 weeks I ran the c25k in my cheap shoes. They made sure I didn't get hurt if I ran over some glass/pebbles, but were thin enough that I really felt the road and I concentrated on my running. I liken my gait to a very very slow roadrunner. As I speed (haha) up the most comfortable position is to have my body leaning a little forward and my feet are under/behind me. Not graceful, but comfortable. A couple times I had a bruisy/boney ache right at/below my hip bone in the front, right leg and figured it was probably the shoes contributing.

After the first run of week 3 (three minutes straight, yeah!) I decided I was going to keep with it and should get some proper running shoes, so I asked around and went to a local running store that has a very good reputation. I showed the store person the shoes I had been using, and the approach I was taking.

He said I had a mild pronation and that I definitely needed a support shoe. Even if I wanted to do minimalist eventually I should start out with a medium cushion shoe and work my way down. So they fitted me several pairs. I finally left with a pair of Saucony pro-grid guide 4's. They felt great in the store, running in the back hallway. When I went to do my first run (indoor track) I noticed that my toes, then my feet, felt tingly, like they were falling asleep. I adjusted how tight they were laced but still had the feeling.

So before my next run today I researched that and found it could be due to the way the shoes are laced. I re-laced the shoes using a straight-bar lacing and tried again. Got the numbness again. My feet felt as tho they were stuffed in the shoe even tho I know there is plenty of room in there. I tried adjusting how tight I tied them again and even though they were loose enough that my feet were slipping inside they still gave me that numb/tingling feeling.

Halfway through the run I gave up and took off the shoes and finished just wearing my socks. It took a while for the tingling to fade, especially in my right 2nd toe (side by the big toe, if that's anything). The soles of my feet are sore, as I'd expect them to be, running in socks, but they don't hurt. It seemed so much easier to run that way than with the shoes.

I'm going to take the shoes back and try to explain this to the store clerk but I'm not sure just what to say. I want to exchange them for something else but I'm not sure if I should just try another of the same type or insist on something lighter. They are the experts after all. And I'm sure I won't be able to tell in the store unless I'm walking/running in the back hall for 5-10 min straight... the short trips didn't reveal this problem with the current shoe.

Advice, please?

Replies

• maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I have been having this same problem so I'm interested in answers. Also, here is an interesting article about how shoes seem to exacerbate foot problems. It makes sense to me.

http://www.quickswood.com/my_weblog/2006/08/athletic_footwe.html
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Just tell them all of this. They are usually very experienced and have probably heard this all before. You did right to go to a good running store. Chances are they will swap them out for you and help you find a better pair without any hassle whatsoever.
  • maryd523
    Options
    I think I just want to start exercising barefoot, or as close to it as possible. I like to look at things from an evolutionary/biological viewpoint and big cushiony shoes just don't make sense. Of course, neither do acres of pavement. :)
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    I like the purity of the barefoot idea but I'm more than happy to have heavily padded feet, esp. if it'll help me keep running. I just don't want have trouble doing it!
  • maryd523
    Options
    I agree, but expensive running shoes don't seem to be helping us. I get the numb, tingling feeling too and it ruins my run, so obviously it's not helping.
  • taso42_DELETED
    Options
    I think I just want to start exercising barefoot, or as close to it as possible. I like to look at things from an evolutionary/biological viewpoint and big cushiony shoes just don't make sense. Of course, neither do acres of pavement. :)

I did the barefoot thing for a long time (but on the comfort of my treadmill). It was great... it really seemed to let me get to the next level of running because I had virtually no pain like I used to with shoes. Then a few months ago I got a pair of decent running shoes (because I wasn't keen on running full barefoot outside) and got quite used to them. Last time I tried barefoot I couldn't handle it any more. Had to pause and put on the shoes.

I have no idea what the moral of this story is. :ohwell:
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I wear Nike Air Pegasus. I tried Saucony, New Balance, and another Nike shoe - but the Pegasus seem to work the best for me.

When you take them back - tell them what you told us. If they are making your feet numb (and Saucony did the same thing to me) tell them that. I never had any trouble taking ANY of the shoes back - and a reputable place will work with you until you find the right shoe for you.

I have wide feet and not much of an arch. Was told Nike is the best fit for my foot. They watched me run and checked the soles of my old shoes and told me I walk pretty evenly on my shoes. They tried to give me shoes that offer a lot of stability but they are WAY too hard for me - I need cushy support in my heels because of my spine.

:)
  • EvaJanes
    EvaJanes Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I also had a lot of trouble with running shoes. I was told by a "professional " that i had collapsing arches and needed a very good supportive shoe with a good arch, After 2 months of pain getting worse I went to The Running Room to get new sneakers (thinking I needed the most supportive ones available). The girl took one look at my feet and said I had too much support and it was causing my foot/ankle to roll out. This was causing foot and hip pain. I took the supports out of my shoes 3 days ago and the pain is almost gone . Too much support can be a bad thing. The numbness that you get btw could be caused by the way your foot is landing when you run.
  • maryd523
    Options

I did the barefoot thing for a long time (but on the comfort of my treadmill). It was great... it really seemed to let me get to the next level of running because I had virtually no pain like I used to with shoes. Then a few months ago I got a pair of decent running shoes (because I wasn't keen on running full barefoot outside) and got quite used to them. Last time I tried barefoot I couldn't handle it any more. Had to pause and put on the shoes.

Haha! What I got out of this story is that you were doing great with no shoes, and then you put on shoes and reverted. If you were doing fine barefoot, then you got shoes and couldn't do barefoot anymore....sounds like the shoes are the culprit. Have you considered barefoot shoes to protect your soles from the indignities of the pavement while still getting the barefoot benefits?
  • maryd523
    Options
    I also had a lot of trouble with running shoes. I was told by a "professional " that i had collapsing arches and needed a very good supportive shoe with a good arch, After 2 months of pain getting worse I went to The Running Room to get new sneakers (thinking I needed the most supportive ones available). The girl took one look at my feet and said I had too much support and it was causing my foot/ankle to roll out. This was causing foot and hip pain. I took the supports out of my shoes 3 days ago and the pain is almost gone . Too much support can be a bad thing. The numbness that you get btw could be caused by the way your foot is landing when you run.

That's fascinating! have custom made orthotics and I think I am going to try going completely without support and see what happens.
  • rea1980
    rea1980 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I would suggest keep working with the running store to get a pair that works for you, I would also look at going to see a chiro, you may have something out of place that is causing yo to pinch a nerve.

I personally have mixed feelings about the minimalists shoes. When I look at all the world class runners, none of them wear them. You can learn proper form for running using standard running shoes. Some people have had good results from the minimalists shoes other have not. If you decide you want to go with them be careful and if you are feeling pain get your feet checked. A lot of people have fractured metatarsals from barefoot/minimalists running.

Here is an article written by a runner about the shoes and getting called crazy by Kenyan runners for using them:
    http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/health/articles/2011/01/09/youre_crazy/
  • SmartFunGorgeous
    SmartFunGorgeous Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I run in a pair of $40 New Balance walking shoes I bought for cheer practice a year ago... When I first started, I had some foot and hip pain, but after research, I realized I supinate, primarily with just my right foot, and I started practicing correcting that. Idk if you're supposed to be able to do that, but it immediately started working for me (so don't tell me if it isn't possible, please! :tongue: ). I guess my point is that you know your body better than anyone, so listen to it... If you're more comfy with a "cheaper" shoe, then go for it until your body says otherwise. I'm such a slow runner, a walking shoe almost seems too advanced! :laugh:
  • taso42_DELETED
    Options

Haha! What I got out of this story is that you were doing great with no shoes, and then you put on shoes and reverted. If you were doing fine barefoot, then you got shoes and couldn't do barefoot anymore....sounds like the shoes are the culprit. Have you considered barefoot shoes to protect your soles from the indignities of the pavement while still getting the barefoot benefits?

I tried the NB Minimus and Merrell Trail Glove. But they weren't a good fit. My feet are too wide or something. I'm not interested in VFFs because they're too weird looking for me. I've really got no complaints about the Nike Free Run+ that I have now, and they're semi-minimalist. I will probably just stick to these for a while.
  • rea1980
    rea1980 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I wear Nike Air Pegasus. I tried Saucony, New Balance, and another Nike shoe - but the Pegasus seem to work the best for me.

When you take them back - tell them what you told us. If they are making your feet numb (and Saucony did the same thing to me) tell them that. I never had any trouble taking ANY of the shoes back - and a reputable place will work with you until you find the right shoe for you.

I have wide feet and not much of an arch. Was told Nike is the best fit for my foot. They watched me run and checked the soles of my old shoes and told me I walk pretty evenly on my shoes. They tried to give me shoes that offer a lot of stability but they are WAY too hard for me - I need cushy support in my heels because of my spine.

:)

Remember all shoes are not made for everybody, even inside the same brand. This is why they make different lines. My first pair of running shoes were a pair of Asics, that I picked out myself. I got shin splints like no other. So I went and got fitted, The pair that they recommended for me was another pair of Asics, these ones felt like heaven, never had a shin splint since.
  • NotGoddess
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. They guys said to come back if they didn't work so I'm sure they'll work with me. I just want to get a pair that works for me. Running seems the easiest way to 'up my game' at the moment. Okay not 'easy' but it burns a lot of fat, plus I get the cardio/fitness improvement. I'll wear super padded stability shoes if that's what it takes.
  • EvaJanes
    EvaJanes Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have been having this same problem so I'm interested in answers. Also, here is an interesting article about how shoes seem to exacerbate foot problems. It makes sense to me.

http://www.quickswood.com/my_weblog/2006/08/athletic_footwe.html

WOW I just finished reading this article and all i can say is WOW what have I been doing to my feet and hips

THANK YOU for posting
  • Ifican
    Ifican Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Ok heres the short answer, you are constricting the artery on the top of your foot and that is why you are getting tingles and numbness. The fix simple enough is to undo your laces even more. My feet swell, took me a long time to figure it out but when i go for anything over 4 miles my feet swell. The fix is my running shoes laces are so loose that i can slip them on like dress shoes and i buy then 1/2 size(thumb width at the toe) big. Yes you have to get used to it but unless you let the laces out even more you will never get rid of the numbness.
  • 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Most of my running has been barefoot on grass (round and round the local oval ha ha). I do have some fancy shoes though for some time pavement running, they make my toes tingle, I'll try the looser laces :-)
  • 3shirts
    3shirts Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Not all stores are equal!
    I had some running shoes fitted years back at a place that has you run on a stretch of track while they *kitten* you. The shoes were, for want of a better phrase, ****e. After talking to a few people I knew who were big runners they told me that shop was actually pretty amateur and recommended somewhere else.
    I went there and it was totally different. They had treadmills with cameras set up behind the belt and after you ran for a minute they showed you back the video in slow motion and highlighted how your feet landed etc and how the different shoes where helping. I have a very pronated left foot as it turns out.
    It was much better and the shoes I got there (ok they were £80) have been amazing and make it genuinely comfortable to run.
  • NotGoddess
    Options
    Small update. I took the Saucony's back today. The salesperson watched me walking/running and noticed that I walk straight up/down but when running turn my ankle in just a little. We tried on about 7 different pairs and I finally choose a pair of Nike Lunarfly+ 2's. Horribly garish (bright blues/neon yellow/neon green) but people will def. see me coming :) They felt fantastic in the store, but I'll have to try a real run to be sure. He said a short run outside was fine to test them, which is great since that means I won't have to drive up to my mom's to use the treadmill again. I'll let you know how they work.