Intermittent Fasting

Options
sohaus
sohaus Posts: 3 Member
I’d love to hear your experiences with intermittent fasting. I’m thinking the 8 hour eating window and 16 hour fast daily might be right for me...

Replies

• Kakramme
    Kakramme Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi, today is actually my first day. Fasting between 8PM and 12 PM, eating 12PM to 8PM. I am hopeful.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I did it for a few years (in maintenance). I enjoyed it but eventually I grew bored with it so I no longer do it.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I skip breakfast, sometimes I skip lunch. I like to eat bigger meals. It helps me control calorie goals.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I often like to skip breakfast but having a fixed eating schedule made me feel much more restricted for the same calorie allowance.
  • youngcaseyr
    youngcaseyr Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    It won't do anything magical as far as weight loss goes, but eating within a certain window of time can help you stay within your "budget" and remain in a deficit. I often eat between 9-5 or 10-6 because that's just what I prefer, but I have lost AND gained weight doing this. You still have to be in a caloric deficit
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Intermittent fasting means different things to different people. My husband has chosen a VERY liberal interpretation of intermittent fasting: every third day he eats 900 calories and eats "normally" without counting calories on the other days. Over the last 6 months he's lost about 12lbs and he's happy with this method. He figures when he reaches his weight goal (another 20lbs or so), he'll do "fast" days every 5th or 6th or 7th day, depending on what works for maintenance. This is NOT how I lose weight, but it's working for him.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I've gained weight on it, I've lost weight on it, I've maintained my weight on it.
    I've been very happy on it, I've struggled with ED-ish type tendencies on it.

It is, like pretty much everything else, very subjective and individual. It's also just one of many tools and approaches one can use... nothing more.
  • katesaun
    katesaun Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The book, “Eat. Stop. Eat.” Is an excellent resource on IF and is written by a researcher. I fast for 20 hours at least once per week and fast daily for 15 hours on average. My appetite has decreased, energy increased, and I’ve lost 10 pounds in 6 weeks. I feel great and will probably always eat this way.
  • OTFOMOgirl
    OTFOMOgirl Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I did it for a month last summer. I did it because I heard it can help lose muscle mass. I don’t have fat so I wanted to go to my muscle. Especially my thighs. Previous before that I was doing a workout that cause my legs to get bigger and not smaller.

I did it for a month. I countes calories still and I had a clean fast. I had only water, tea, and coffee (plain). I still have my coffee black.

I did a 16 hour fast. The biggest I ever did was 23. I even did a bit of research. Women shouldn’t do more than 24 hours because it does affect their hormones and period. It can affect other health issues. I’m not saying no fasting. Just not more than 24 hours.

I was reading a lot people were fasting 4 days straight. I thought that was scary because that sounded like a eating disordering developmenting.

Overall, I really enjoyed it. I just wouldn’t go as long next time.