Injured but newd to Loose weight to help recovery

Help!!! Ive got a compressed disk. In my Back and im attending physio and just cant find the motivation at home, gym memberships are soooo expensive and im off work so not in a financial position atm. I have lots of dvds and magazines, and even bought the body boss book. but i just keep putting exercise at the end of my daily list, that never gets done and then feel unhappy and disappointed in myself. I dont know what to do... Ive put on 3 1/2 stone since my disk finally went in nov 2017, so the additional weight gain isnt going to help.

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    edited January 2019
    Weight loss doesn't require exercise, it just requires a calorie deficit, and that happens in the kitchen more than the gym, set yourself a sustainable rate of loss, log your food with a food scale and you'll lose weight just fine.

If you physio has any exercise you can do, think of that as beneficial for your health, not for weight loss. There are a lot of short workouts on Youtube that can be done, but only you can motivate yourself to do them.

Having had a bad back myself, I can tell you it's better to do it sooner rather than later, I woke up one morning and couldn't even put my socks on, it hurt soooo much I just lay there crying.
  • Dilvish
    Dilvish Posts: 398 Member
    Look at "water walking" at the local pool. It might be just as expensive but ultimately it gets you moving more and you will recover quicker. because you are weightless (mostly) it is far easier on the joints and you can go longer than on land. Water provides a great deal more resistance too.

The benefits of exercising in water are excellent for people doing Physio.
  • nadler64
    nadler64 Posts: 124 Member
    The 80/20 rule applies here, as it often does. Health is 80% diet, 20% exercise. You can’t outrun your fork. Let MFP set your calorie goal for you and stick to it. You can do this.
  • bvifun
    bvifun Posts: 404 Member
    Although I have put some of my weight back on, (it will leave again) 4 years ago I got myself to goal. Due to health issues, I can do very little exercise and am about 50% bedbound. I have learned to do some exercises even in bed for just a few minutes at a time. But I lost the weight by concentrating on what I was eating only. It may be slower but it CAN be done. Beating yourself up for not doing what you (and others) think you “should” is not helping you in any way.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Weight loss doesn't require exercise, it just requires a calorie deficit, and that happens in the kitchen more than the gym, set yourself a sustainable rate of loss, log your food with a food scale and you'll lose weight just fine.

If you physio has any exercise you can do, think of that as beneficial for your health, not for weight loss. There are a lot of short workouts on Youtube that can be done, but only you can motivate yourself to do them.

Having had a bad back myself, I can tell you it's better to do it sooner rather than later, I woke up one morning and couldn't even put my socks on, it hurt soooo much I just lay there crying.

This right here