Eating too little?

Options
I’m currently 245lbs and this is day 3 on my weight loss journey. My calorie intake limit is 1,930cals but I never get close to that. Day one I ate around 1,030cals and yesterday I ate around 600cals. I’m sure this is way too little but I really don’t feel hungry and I can’t make myself eat because I feel like I will give in and bindge eat. So my question is am I really eating too little? If so why don’t I feel hungry? Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Yes, you are.

It's common when you're starting a new diet to not feel that hungry. There's the excitement and motivation of doing something new and sometimes people make food swaps that result in them feeling fuller than they would eating other foods. Undereating for a day or two isn't going to be an issue, but this is something that you'll need to address if you want to be successful. Undereating isn't just terrible for your health, it increases the chances that you'll fail. Excessive hunger *will* make binges more likely and you will eventually get hungry if you keep eating this way, it's just harder to control your appetite when your body isn't getting what you need.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Hunger signals are weird and a bad indicator of whether or not you're getting enough nutrition. They can be knocked out of whack pretty easily.

Some people find that they have a bit of a honeymoon phase at the beginning of a diet where they feel happy and satiated on far too little. Usually it sorts itself out within a week, but the risk is that you might see your hunger signals bounce back with a vengeance, you might see your energy levels drop suddenly and drastically, and I'm always personally wary about setting up a binge/restrict cycle that can come with this sort of eating (but that may not be a concern for everyone).

In short, yes, you're eating too little. Anything below 800 calories is considered a very low calorie diet and is only supposed to be undertaken with doctor supervision to be sure your body isn't doing things like leeching your bones for necessary nutrients and stuff like that. If your goals are set appropriately and MFP gave you 1930 calories, then get closer to that. There are serious risks involved with eating too little and you do not want to end up there.
  • brianblackburn16
    brianblackburn16 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yeah I thought so haha. I will try hard to make it close to the 1,930 because the last thing I want is everything to total fail and I go back to my old ways. This isn’t my first go around. I’ve been working at dieting for years and always end up going right back. But hopefully this time I have the little extra boost I need to make this happen for my over all health. Thank you I greatly appreciate your comments!