Knees are making a crackling grinding noise.... why???

Options
Ok so it’s been a long time away from the gym... and any real sort of exercise for that matter... today I’ve started my new fitness regime with some gentle strengthening exercises... to find that my knees were making this horrific noise at a certain point mid squat... im only 31!!!! Does anyone know why this is happening and whether (hopefully) just temporary?! 😭

Replies

• FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Could be runners knee (generic term doesn’t have to be a runner), I’m dealing with the same thing right now and one of the symptoms is crackling knees. I’m young too, 25 lol. Do you have any pain? Make sure your squat form is on point or you could be doing more harm than good! If there’s pain get checked out by an orthopedic.
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Knee "popping" can come from a variety of things: https://www.betterbraces.com/injury-info-center/knee-injury-guide/popping-knee, most are benign. Best to ask your doctor if it persists to make sure that it does not get worse.
  • Xtianne87
    Xtianne87 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    FL_Hiker wrote: »
    Could be runners knee (generic term doesn’t have to be a runner), I’m dealing with the same thing right now and one of the symptoms is crackling knees. I’m young too, 25 lol. Do you have any pain? Make sure your squat form is on point or you could be doing more harm than good! If there’s pain get checked out by an orthopedic.

Thanks for your reply ...
    It actually doesn’t hurt when the noise happens 🤷‍♀️ but now I’m thinking about it I do get bad pain in both when standing up after kneeling when sitting... I will check my form is right though for the squats.... but after getting it checked. We’re too young for dodgy knees 🙈 Thanks x
  • Xtianne87
    Options
    Sloth2016 wrote: »
    Knee "popping" can come from a variety of things: https://www.betterbraces.com/injury-info-center/knee-injury-guide/popping-knee, most are benign. Best to ask your doctor if it persists to make sure that it does not get worse.

Thanks for the link 🙂
  • jgilbey07
    jgilbey07 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I get that too, I’ve worked my squats up to 205 and no buckling or collapsing so far!! Jump roping and stretching helps it tho.. I think I read some where it could just be trapped air making its way out
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    It's usually nothing to worry about unless you had trama. The body makes noises.

Worry about proper load management, not specifically form. Form will not cause injuries that is internet garbage spew and there is no reliable evidence that it is true.

Just train responsibly.
  • Xtianne87
    Options
    jgilbey07 wrote: »
    I get that too, I’ve worked my squats up to 205 and no buckling or collapsing so far!! Jump roping and stretching helps it tho.. I think I read some where it could just be trapped air making its way out

Thanks!! I looked it up and there’s a lot about it being pockets of air... but it’s constant. 😢... with or without loading to manage ..🙄 ... I also get it in my elbows ! I’m wondering if dehydration would affect joints like this...🤔
  • jennifera63
    jennifera63 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It doesn't go away. Take care of your knees. Don't run for exercise and don't push to heavy weight. I'm not a pro but just one with experience. See a variety of pros (traditional and alternative -there is legit health advice on both areas - and talk to people who have personal experience. Then use your intuition because it's about management And prevention. Don't take up running or cross fit or anything high impact.

I am 55 I first started hearing my knees crackle going up steps in my thirties.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Popping of the joints is generally considered benign. However, that said, mine pop when I have not been stretching much, or using the joint. I had a popping sound in my knee when I was recovering from my knee injury; now that I am recovered, and running regularly again, the popping has gone away.
    The air bubbles thing is a theory, not a proven thing. How would air get in there? Nobody really knows what causes it.
    As somebody already said, you should worry if you have pain or discomfort. Probably not about noise and crackling.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    It doesn't go away. Take care of your knees. Don't run for exercise and don't push to heavy weight. I'm not a pro but just one with experience. See a variety of pros (traditional and alternative -there is legit health advice on both areas - and talk to people who have personal experience. Then use your intuition because it's about management And prevention. Don't take up running or cross fit or anything high impact.

I am 55 I first started hearing my knees crackle going up steps in my thirties.

Having crepitus in your knees that isn't accompanied by pain (or maltracking or instability) doesn't mean that you can't run or lift heavy. It's normal and not a concern when there isn't pain or physiological abnormalities. Even if you do have a history of physical trauma ((raises hand)), if you have since recovered crepitus alone isn't a death sentence with regards to various types of movement/exercise.

I mean if that was the case I shouldn't have ever started running and my most recent physical therapist - who is a pro with regards to medicine and treats elite athletes, shouldn't be doing triathlons or lifting heavy. Note, both she and my orthopedic surgeon, who has treated olympians (volunteering at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado and volunteering at the Rio Olympics), were ok with me starting a running program.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    If it doesn’t hurt, don’t worry about it. If it does, go to PT. Simple as that
  • Xtianne87
    Options
    Thanks for all your comment... feeling a bit reassured 💕
  • beatyfamily1
    beatyfamily1 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Strengthen your hips. Your hips are weak. I had the same problem doing exactly what you were doing. It’s your hips. If you are getting it in your elbows too, try strengthening your forearms. You have to remember the entire limb is connected so if one part is weak it can affect another part of the limb.
  • KristaMac88
    KristaMac88 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    What was said above! kinda different, but I was having alot of knee pain and hip pain after having my last kid and went to chiro and physio and the physiotherapist said most times knee pain..isnt caused from the knee. She said my..quads (? i think it was) in my legs were super tight. and not giving the range of motion they should.. And my hips were weak. And both needed work because when everythings connected and ones not moving right, it pulls wrong on something else.