Supplements & body weight exercises OR gym pass?

Options
Hey guys, I know this question might sound stupid but it's been a real problem for me. I have decided to start working out to do a body recomp (after losing a ton of weight last year) and gaining some muscle mass. The thing is, I am currently a student who doesn't earn much money and I could either afford a monthly gym pass every month OR enough WHEY protein to last a month + I would do body weight exercises. The thing is, I probably won't be able to hit daily protein intake without WHEY if I go to the gym, but I am afraid body weight exercises won't be effective enough for me to do a recomp. What do you guys think?

Replies

• Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    What kind of protein goal are you trying to hit and how far away are you now?

I would think the gym would be considerably more benefitical for your goals and overall health.
  • Icy_Fox
    Icy_Fox Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    0.8g per lbs of mass and I am a solid 50g away...
  • Duck_Puddle
    Options
    Ok. So what are you eating now?

I’m asking because there are a number of protein sources that aren’t particularly expensive (like eggs) and a few tweaks might help you get a lot closer without needing supplements (meaning you can have the protein you need AND the gym membership).
  • Icy_Fox
    Options
    5 eggs in the morning with full grain bread, oatmeal + greek yoghurt + some fruits between breakfast and lunch, i don't cook lunch on my own so I can't really control that (have no option to cook), then usually some chicken breast salami or roasted chicken breasts in the evening with full grain bread
  • Duck_Puddle
    Options
    A few things you can consider adding: beans (6-7g protein/1/2 cup), lentils (8-9g protein/1/2 cup), cottage cheese (14-16g protein/1/2 cup), canned or pouch tuna 17-22g, peas (not huge but another 6-8g/cup).

Beans and lentils are very economical (a pound of dry beans which usually cooks up to about 7 cups) is about $1 ($0.15/serving). A can of already cooked (about 1 1/2 cups) is often less than a dollar. Tuna and cottage cheese are a bit more (tuna about $1/can/pouch, cottage cheese about $0.50-$0.70 per 1/2 cup). Price of peas will depend on canned vs frozen (but will be in the neighborhood of $0.30-$0.50 per serving).

Those are prices near me and I’m in a high cost of living location, so I’m assuming the prices are similar or lower in other places.

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Does your school have a gym you can use?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options

Same question. When I was in school I just used the fitness facility at school.
  • cowgirlslikeus86
    cowgirlslikeus86 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    This was going to be my question. I go to school and the cost of the gym/rec center is included in my tuition.
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Same question. When I was in school I just used the fitness facility at school.

• Icy_Fox
    Options
    My school sadly doesn't have a gym, so that isn't an option...
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    You can probably get by on less protein if your goal isn't extreme. Proper calorie intake is going to the main driver of visible results.
    But there's always option 3 - get side gigs so you can afford more protein + a gym membership.
    Either way, follow a proven strength program. :+1:
  • an0393na
    an0393na Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    100% gym pass
    But not treadmill etc, get a PT session at the gym - seriously good results!
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,131 Member
    Options
    Why don't you wait til Feb when many New Year Resolutioners will be selling off their fitness purchases in the second hand ads, get yourself some Dumbbells or Resistance Cables and work out at home, they don't take up a lot of room and will add further to a routine you can do at home. You can do a full body workout easily with them.

Then there's always outside for cardio - running, walking, hiking.

A gym is not necessary for exercise.
  • Dilvish
    Dilvish Posts: 398 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    yep buy some used free weights and do it at home...look up routines on the internet and you are set. Isokinetic (using your own body weight) exercises are also free! More here

Additionally Tuna has a lot of protein and is relatively cheap in cans. Look at pumpkin seeds too...1/4 cup of raw pumpkin kernels is 15g. Steel cut Oats (not instant) are a great source as well (13g in 1/2 cup) made with milk and you have a breakfast (or any time of day) that is almost 20g of protein.

For a meal prep try making Chili with ground turkey or extra lean ground beef. I add pinto and garbanzo beans (chick peas) to mine and a 1 cup serving is 21g of protein.
  • tonyfastz06
    tonyfastz06 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    look up moutaindog on youtube... he recently did a "bulking on a budget" 1 day diet plan and it was fantastic. Also, not a fly by night idiot... very highly respected in the community.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    will your health insurance pay for your membership?
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    gym for sure. and agree with the above re mountaindog. And yeah look into other ways to add protein to your meals - don't really need whey if you eat it.

Can you cook extra dinner and have it for lunch?
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    First go to a well equipped gym that has squat rack/cage, bench, and allows deadlifts. These are all over the states for $20 a month.

Consider picking up a side job or ask the gym if you could work off the fees. Might be able to get a discount if you refer people.

Try to get 1g of protien per lb of body weight unless your obese.

Walmart has a "Equate" tub of whey that has plenty of leucine fir dirt cheap.

Run a well balanced program for your experience training.

Good luck.