Where do you do your barbell hipthrusts?

So I do hip thrusts about 3 times a week. I do one day with lighter weight/higher rep, moderate weight/moderate rep, and then heavier weight/smaller rep. I usually use a preloaded barbell but when on days where I go heavy it's harder to use the preloaded barbell since I'm already at 80 and it is difficult to set up. I considered using the smith machine but I know it can lead to certain imbalances. My gym is fairly small and has recently added another squat rack so now we have 3 and I was considering using it for hip thrusts but I am not sure if it would be appropriate to use, I do not want to be THAT person who unfairly takes up the squat rack. I also thought about using the bench press but again we only have 2. Any suggestions? Thank you.

Replies

• Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    I'm also in that same boat trying to incorporate hip thrusts...other gym hacks include using the leg extension machine (~250-300lb typical machine max load for most) for set up (less time consuming). I prefer dumbbell/plate loading (limits max loads though) due to an easier set-up/positioning vs. barbell-floor-bench set up. Probably will transition over to resistance band use soon though. 1-legged variations are another option involving less load

Bret Contreras (the "glute guy") has some good youtube reference videos on variations/set ups
  • flowerhorsey
    flowerhorsey Posts: 154 Member
    The Smith machine, for me, is by far the easiest to load and get under, using a bench or Swiss ball. I can load 470lbs on a heavy day and not get worn out fighting the barbell and 45lb plates.
  • lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    The Smith machine, for me, is by far the easiest to load and get under, using a bench or Swiss ball. I can load 470lbs on a heavy day and not get worn out fighting the barbell and 45lb plates.

I also the Smith machine...it’s the only thing in my fitness center. I also use the bench outside of the machine area and will put dumbbells or plates on my hips to thrust. SoheeFit on insta has good examples.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,262 Member
    I do glute bridges, which are pretty much the same thing except your back is on the floor. If you can't find a good location to do the hip thrusts you might consider bridges.
  • kcbonilla01
    kcbonilla01 Posts: 4 Member
    I think I'll give the smith machine a try, it seems like it would be an easier setup. Has anyone tried using an EZ bar and loading it with plates? These bars are rarely used and since they are shorter I think it might be easier to set up and I wouldn't have to take up a squat rack.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,913 Member
    I'd use whatever is not in demand - rack or bench.

It drives me crazy to see people using the rack for stuff that it's not needed for such as bicep curls and hip thrusts, but, you can always pull the bench OUT of the rack, move it to the side and go for your life.

Our racks don't come with benches anyway so at my gym people use the deadlift platforms - they pull the bench onto the platform and use that. We do have 3 of them so not sooooooo bad but yeah...

I'd say just do for what is not being used.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    edited January 2019
    How would you use a squat rack for hip thrusts?

I just use a bench, bar, plates. I usually try to point my crotch towards the wall, so it's a less distracting movement (to other gym goers).

ETA: maybe your gym doesn't have a free unattached bench? If there is a free standing bench, that would be the best piece of equipment to use.
  • Teabythesea_
    Teabythesea_ Posts: 559 Member
    edited January 2019
    I'm surprised nobody has mentioned aerobic platforms. My gym has a seperate area where classes are held with a bunch of stacks. Sometimes I'll take a few and bring a preloaded barbell or dumbbell into the room and do some thrusts there. I've never done it, but you can also bring two dumbbells, loop a resistance band around them and place them on either side of you if as an alternative to using a regular barbell or EZ bar. I've seen people online doing them with the leg extension machine but I can't imagine the looks I'd get considering the looks I get when doing a normal hip thrust. Smith machines are excellent alternatives according to Bret Contreras, the guy who came up with the hip thrust and many variations.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    I just use a Barbell with bumper plates and a bench.
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Bench usually, my gym has separate bars for people wanting a bar and weights but don't need a rack eg: deadlifts.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I do them near where I do deadlifts, either on the side of the platform or on the floor. I use bumper plates with smaller plates, a bench, and a bar pad.
  • kcbonilla01
    kcbonilla01 Posts: 4 Member
    So it would be okay for me to do them by the squat rack? The only way I would be able to obtain an unloaded barbell is from a bench press or squat rack that’s why I would probably need to use either or
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Final Answer: Remove an empty bar from the squat rack, set up with a free standing bench, BESIDE the squat rack...NOT IN the squat rack. You don't need the rack, so don't use it.
  • jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    I'm surprised nobody has mentioned aerobic platforms. My gym has a seperate area where classes are held with a bunch of stacks. Sometimes I'll take a few and bring a preloaded barbell or dumbbell into the room and do some thrusts there. I've never done it, but you can also bring two dumbbells, loop a resistance band around them and place them on either side of you if as an alternative to using a regular barbell or EZ bar. I've seen people online doing them with the leg extension machine but I can't imagine the looks I'd get considering the looks I get when doing a normal hip thrust. Smith machines are excellent alternatives according to Bret Contreras, the guy who came up with the hip thrust and many variations.

Yep, I always use two stacked aerobic steps for hip thrusts. I'm too short to use a bench!
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Bench... trying not to look others in the eyes as I do them! Lol
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,937 Member
    i use either the leg curl machine (the type where you lay flat and curl up) or the smith machine.
  • flowerhorsey
    So it would be okay for me to do them by the squat rack? The only way I would be able to obtain an unloaded barbell is from a bench press or squat rack that’s why I would probably need to use either or

Yes. You're paying for a membership so you can use any equipment like everyone else. My gym only has two barbells, one on the squat rack and one for benching. If I'm gonna use a bb instead of the Smith (which I prefer) I just pull a bench over, or use the step ups like someone else said, or use a Swiss ball. They all work. :). But for me, the Smith makes more sense most of the time.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited January 2019
    mmapags wrote: »
    i use either the leg curl machine (the type where you lay flat and curl up) or the smith machine.

Interesting gym hack...never thought how easy of a set up this would be
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq2vDEKKnzs[/youtube]
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,937 Member

Yup, that is similar to what I do. I saw a woman friend at my gym in Oaxaca doing it. I'm able to adjust that part that makes contact with the hip lower for more range of motion.
  • flowerhorsey

Yup, that is similar to what I do. I saw a woman friend at my gym in Oaxaca doing it. I'm able to adjust that part that makes contact with the hip lower for more range of motion.

It just goes to show how important it is to try different techniques to find what works for you. I've tried it using the leg extension machine (more than once) and it was not effective at all for me. I actually detested it.