Florida (beach) Vacation Destinations?

Options
MonkeyMel21
MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
Not fitness related but I know how many people are on here so I thought I would ask away!

We are trying to plan a spring break vacation in the middle of March. We have a nine year old and we want to go to the beach everyday and do a few fun family things. We normally go to Mexico but our passports got stolen and we don't want to deal with the time crunch of getting new ones by March, so we're looking at the east coast (doesn't HAVE to be Florida). What are some good places that maybe aren't the big ones that are probably already booked solid?

Also, I didn't know if we needed to take hurricane damage in to consideration, so if there are places to stay away from, that would be helpful as well.

And to add a bit of discussion, why don't they have all inclusive resorts in the U.S. like they do all over Mexico?! We love all-inclusive resorts but it doesn't seem like it's a thing at all in the U.S. WHY?!

Replies

• MonkeyMel21
    Options
    Preferably some place within an hour or so driving distance from a major airport, since we will be flying.
  • HappilyDistracted
    HappilyDistracted Posts: 1,700 Member
    Options
    Need more info... what are you into or going for? Is there a priority? Nature, hikes, shopping, nice beaches, surfing, etc.? Do you have kids or just adults?

I believe there are some all-inclusives in Florida and there are plenty of resorts, but definitely not like Mexico all-inclusive. I would presume that the US is traditionally safer than Mexico and thus all-inclusives are less of a necessity.
  • MonkeyMel21
    Options
    Two adults, one kid (nine years old, as mentioned in OP). Beach is the main priority, so a nice sandy beach that we can make sand castles on. Nature and hikes would be awesome, nothing too extreme as my child is not adventurous like that.

And the safety factor you mentioned with all-inclusive resorts makes so much sense! I never thought of it that way!
  • HappilyDistracted
    Options
    Whoops, missed a couple of lines in the OP. Sorry about that.

Typically, I hear the best things about beaches on the gulf side. Siesta Key, Treasure Island area or up north Destin area. I liked the Atlantic side in South Carolina, because I could walk out further and my son doesn't fully swim yet. BUT I highly disliked Myrtle Beach. Not my place. I haven't personally been to north gulf area yet, but know some people from the area. They say it's nice and more laid-back there. I believe there is better hiking up in that area, too. Obviously, Key West and Miami are options. I haven't been there, as I tend to avoid very touristy places, but I am positive there are plenty of activities and nice beaches down there. Not sure I would want to bring my child down there during spring break, though, lol.

Kayaking through mangroves or wherever may be worth checking out as an activity. You can kayak through the channels.

Hurricane season starts in the summer. So you should be good on that.

Red tide is a thing. I would say look into that if you plan on going to the gulf. It happens on the Atlantic side too, but less of an issue. I don't know anything about the other states with gulf beaches or Georgia. I would suggest you consider those too.
  • iMago
    iMago Posts: 8,714 Member
    Options
    make sure and get some bug spray so you don't get eat up by sand fleas too
  • cogirljb55
    cogirljb55 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    We went to Clearwater beach FL in October and loved it!!! So much to do and not a far drive from Tampa airport!! I have 2 kids, 13 and 10 and they both loved it as well!! You can find some great deals on condos on Home Away, we had a 3 bedroom condo, full kitchen, washer and dryer and was quite a bit cheaper than the hotels.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I live in the southeast, so Florida is technically driveable for us and we go a lot.
    I like Destin or Sandestin for family beach vacations. It's a little more pricy than say Panama City or Gulf Shores, AL, but we've been there over Fall Break before and is mostly crowded over with families more so than school breaker teenagers if that appeals to you.
    Gulf Shores and Orange Beach in Alabama are nice as well but the water is not that gorgeous light blue like in Destin.
  • Dakotacole13
    Dakotacole13 Posts: 526 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Clearwater beach, Florida
  • jruch23
    jruch23 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    You mean my backyard? Lol ;)
  • stricklee11
    stricklee11 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    The gulf beaches of florida are much better. I'd recommend Clearwater Beach or St Pete Beach.
  • cogirljb55
    cogirljb55 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    jruch23 wrote: »

Lucky!!!
  • HappilyDistracted
    Options

How you doin'? 😉
  • jruch23
    jruch23 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    cogirljb55 wrote: »

Lucky!!!

:) I live half an hour away from Clearwater beach!

How you doin'? 😉

Lol doing good, but we are suffering a cold front down here!

• John5877
    John5877 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Navarre is my favorite. Destin/Ft Walton has a touch prettier water, but that many more other people and more of the party crowd is not to my liking.
  • festerw
    festerw Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    No advice on the beaches but I applied for a passport the beginning of November and it only took a week to come back without the expedited processing.
  • MonkeyMel21
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the responses! What about Sarasota/Siesta Key area? Anyone been there?
  • HappilyDistracted
    Options
    cogirljb55 wrote: »

Lucky!!!

:) I live half an hour away from Clearwater beach!

How you doin'? 😉

Lol doing good, but we are suffering a cold front down here!

We're having a heat wave - all 35 degrees of it today.