Am I Eating the Right Amount of Calories?

Options
I am extremely overweight. I am a female 5'6 and 319 lbs. I know you are suppose to only lose 1-2 lbs a week, but since I am really heavy I should be losing more a week right? I just started this MFP, and I am having 1300 calories a day. Do you think this is the appropriate amount of calories? I am also doing 60 min of walking 5 days a week. Please help!! Thanks

Replies

• jwgca
    jwgca Posts: 44
    Options
    yes, at 1300 calories a day you are most likely to lose more than 1-2 lbs a week at your current weight. i sure did.
  • awiggins1090
    Options
    You should do what this suggests. I know you want to be dropping pounds fast but it really isn't good for you. One if you lose weight to fast your skin will loose elasticity and you will end up saggy. Two a lot of people who lose weight to fast end up gaining it back. So just be patient and stick with it and you will end up with great results!!
  • Speedy89
    Speedy89 Posts: 64
    Options
    Just stick to the goals established by your MFP settings and you should be fine...certainly worked for me
  • llachoix
    llachoix Posts: 10
    Options
    Hi - I agree with others, sticking to the recommended plan is a better idea. I went for a rather aggressive target of 1,5 to 2 lb per week, and even sticking to the plan, the result was higher weight loss at the beginning, and recently a little bit less, but looking at the average for each of the last 7 weeks, it was exactly on target. Go for consistency and you'll have good results, no doubt.
  • helloburger
    helloburger Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    plus the calories from walking you will have around 1450-1500 calories a day to eat :)
  • Normucha
    Options
    I am always below my calorie goal. I am 61 years old. Almost 62. 4'11 . I've been doing MFP for about 40 days and I only lost 3 pounds. Is that normal? Shouldn' t I be losing more by now?
  • Normucha
    Options
    I am always below my calorie goal. I am 61 years old. Almost 62. 4'11 . I've been doing MFP for about 40 days and I only lost 3 pounds. Is that normal? Shouldn' t I be losing more by now?
  • JudyZ
    JudyZ Posts: 23
    Options
    Yes, track your exercise too. That way on the days that you exercise, it will bump up the amount of calories for that day.
  • kristenklus
    Options
    I stay with 1300 no matter if I worked out or not
  • sexyjamaican22
    Options
    hi,
    Even though I am just starting this program, I do know alot about weightloss. You should not aim for not eating the recommended calorie intake that the program designed for you. Your body will eventually go into starvation mode and start to store fat because it is not getting what it needs to function properly. This will ultimately slow down your metabolism tremendously and surely decrease your weight loss progress.

hopei was able to help:wink:
  • truecaligirl
    truecaligirl Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Also make sure to watch your sodium intake. You may be retaining water.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Are you eating to enough?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

This is just a part of it! please read the link above

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat. This means is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode)

Also this might be helpful http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/00trayn/view/how-to-bust-a-3-month-plateau-87677

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/153704-myth-or-fact-simple-math-3500-calories-one-pound-eat

Good luck on your journey
  • helloburger
    helloburger Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    "I stay with 1300 no matter if I worked out or not"

That is a stupid thing to do. Say you burn 600 calories in exercise - this means your net calories would be 700. THAT IS NOT HEALTHY. Not eating enough will not help you lose weight any faster than eating right.
  • caroltina
    caroltina Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I was 309 when I started this and know mfp set me quite higher cals than you are saying here, and I am shorter than you! I would stick to what mfp says because if you go too low cal too quick your just not going to stick to it! I am 228 lb now and am set for higher than 1300 and like I say shorter than u, think seriously about this because you don't want to harm you health, but even more you don't want to self sabotage!!! If your like me every diet I have failed, with mfp it isn't a diet it is a change of lifestyle, forever, re-educating yourself about how to make good choices, and be able to live, enjoy and take part. Hope it works out fir you, feel free to frie.nd me. It is tough, but it is the best thing I have ever done fir myself.
  • AmandaCG
    AmandaCG Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Stick with MFP guidelines, its as simple as that. Calories in calories out. You don't have to eat your exercise cals back or if you feel extra hungry that day then go on ahead. Its a very slow process, so stay focused and determined.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Based on the information you have provided and by calculating your BMR, I think you are too low. I have found that MFP under-estimates caloric needs. The best advice I can give you is under your BMR and your caloric needs. Under eating your calories is just as bad as eating too many. I will note, that people who have a lot of lose can sustain longer periods of under eating your calories but you risk a chance of losing muscle which will slow your metabolism. Below are some resources that can help you understand and make that decision.

Keep in mind, less calories doesn't mean quicker weight loss. I will say, look around at all the plateau or am I eating enough threads on this board and you will see one common denominator, they all under eat. Also, if you do listen to MFP, make sure you eat all your exercise calories. Addtionally, look into weight training. it's simple, muscle burns fat. The more muslce you have, the more calories you burn, the faster you lose weight.

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/