Shoe suggestions for plantar fascitis

Options
Any suggestions for a shoe that provides arch support and heel padding that helps Plantar fascitis? I have it badly in my left heel and unable to do my daily walking which I really miss. Plus my husband and I have a trip planned for next month which will need to be cancelled if I can't walk. I purchased a pair of Therafit shoes and they actually made things worse as they threw my stride off so badly that my knees and hips started to hurt. An old pair of Birkenstock sandals actually felt better. They aren't good though for long walks. Has anyone tried Vionics? Or??? I have tried Dr. Scholls inserts for plantar fascitis but they don't give enough arch support. Help. I miss my walks.

Replies

• nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    For starters, get the cortisone shot, it will fix it right away. Then, yes, Vionics are a good choice, and I like Hokas for running and oofos sandals. Over time, try things like yoga toes and barefoot shoes to strengthen your feet.
  • doowa
    doowa Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Check out Alegria shoes. I had pain in my right foot. Just got a couple pairs of this brand and the pain is pretty much gone.
    They come in Sandals, clogs, boots, and athletic shoes.
    The athletic shoes I got are the Alegria Traq. They have a step counter in them!
    www.alegriashoeshop.com
  • mywayroche
    mywayroche Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Can't you cycle or something instead? The more you work that tendon the worse it gets because there's very little blood flow to it. It takes a while to heal.

Steroid injections don't cure it, they reduce inflammation and pain for a while. Be careful taking medical advice from strangers.

Bottom line: if you're really set on walking then talk to your doctor first or you might end up regretting it
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Alegria. Classic clogs are the best. Still... PF can take a long time to heal. Medical attention recommended.
  • BumbyDog
    BumbyDog Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    You don't say whether or not you have gone to a podiatrist for a diagnosis of plantar facciitis or self diagnosed. If you haven't had a professional diagnosis of your problem, my advice is to do so. I thought I had plantar facciitis, but having visited a podiatrist was diagnosed with Pre-frontal tibial tendonitis. The symptoms are very similar to PF and you still need supportive shoes, but the treatment is different. I was given a 5 mins a day exercise routine which has made a huge difference. That said, I would also recommend Brooks Ghost trainers.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    Vionics have been a lifesaver for me.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    If walking is this important to you, you should consult a professional for custom orthotics to fit your feet.

Personally, having had PF and having come out the other side, I think you should drop the walks. Rest your feet and do the therapeutic exercises.

I recommend cycling in the meantime, which doesn't put pressure on the heels.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    MIM49 wrote: »
    I have tried Dr. Scholls inserts for plantar fascitis but they don't give enough arch support.

I'd go with Superfeet insoles from a running store, and a pair of skateboard shoes, Altras, or similar shoes without a raised heel. 90% of shoes have a raised heel, which is inappropriate for walking (as you noticed with the Therafit).

Also stretch your plantar fascia hourly. Here's how: https://youtube.com/watch?v=HEintoiiqSg.
  • Horstbc
    Horstbc Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I tried a number of different stabilization shoes to help with my plantar fasciitis (Brooks, Saucony, Dr. Scholl's, Super Feet, Powerstep, etc), and although each helped initially, my plantar fasciitis kept coming back stronger than ever. These also led to some knee pain after several years of using these shoes.

Today, I've been using completely flat Altra shoes and have been a huge fan of them. Between using those shoes and practicing consistent mobilization exercises on my feet, ankles, calves, and knees, I haven't had much foot or knee pain in the last 8 months. It might not work for everyone, but it's been a good change for me.
  • kellycz
    kellycz Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I definitely feel your pain! Strategies that work for me to keep my plantar fasciitis in check:
    1. I never go barefoot. Never. In the house, I always wear either my running shoes or a pair of Vionics slippers or sandals.
    2. I follow the advice of a sports medicine doctor when choosing athletic shoes that are right for me.
    3. For casual shoes, I mostly wear Vionics.
    4. When wearing other shoes, I put a hard plastic Superfeet insert in the bottom.
    5. I stopped running any distance is greater than 10K.
    I admit I’m not great at keeping up with the stretching regimen, but this thread has reminded me that I need to get back into that. Based on medical advice for my personal situation, I have never gotten the cortisone shots, and I have not found it necessary to eliminate walking from my regular routine, except for a couple of weeks when my pain was at its worst. Good luck!
  • starryphoenix
    starryphoenix Posts: 381 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I find that New Balance and ASICS brand shoes work the best for me. I currently wear ASICS brand shoes. They are amazing. I haven’t had issues since I ditched my cheap shoes. I’m not claiming that this is your solution, I just know that the right kind of shoes go a long way.

I walk a lot by the way. I used to buy cheap shoes from Walmart and Payless. My feet always hurt. I went to the doctor and he diagnosed me with plantar fasciitis. I ditched my cheap shoes and went and bought some New Balance brand shoes. They were life changing. After my shoes got worn out I started wearing a pair of ASICS I had saved for running. I haven’t had any issues since finding those two brands.

I recommend trying different brands of high quality shoes.
  • confidenceinrain
    confidenceinrain Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Oasics with inserts are what worked for me, for the gym.
  • merekins
    merekins Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Brooks were a godsend for my plantar fasciitis. Adrenaline GT I think. KT tape too. Just hugs to you. It really hurts and just sucks.
  • cparsons_60
    cparsons_60 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »

Also stretch your plantar fascia hourly. Here's how: https://youtube.com/watch?v=HEintoiiqSg.

It's most important to do these stretches first thing in the morning before you get out of bed and put weight on your foot. Also try to do them any time you've been sitting for awhile. It was explained to me that the fascia heals a little when there's no weight on it, but when you put weight on it again it re-breaks, over and over. So if you can stretch it before putting weight on it, it shouldn't break and the healing won't be interrupted as much.

I also found this product helped a lot.
    https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=fMk_XLCDMKWd_QaMs5ewCg&q=strassburg+sock&oq=stras&gs_l=psy-ab.1.1.0l2j0i131j0l7.1555.2505..6895...0.0..0.424.1127.0j5j4-1....3..0....1..gws-wiz.....0..35i39.mG1CNLCQC-c
    Really severe cases need a heavy-duty prescription boot. Mine was bad but not that bad, so I used this product. It holds your foot in a flexed position overnight, keeping the fascia stretched. It takes a bit of getting used to. I got the cheap one, which I wore for about a month. I would guess the more expensive ones are better made and would last longer. Mine lasted fine. I still put it on occasionally for a night or two if I start to feel that old familiar heal ache.

Good luck. Most annoying ailment.

• elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    I had it for two years.. thank god it is gone.. crocs are a godsend... and I found the half arch inserts sold at target in the women's shoe department wonderful.. they are pink. I put them in the shoes I was wearing and it really helped to heal my foot. they are not the full foot they go in the front of your shoes to start of your heel and give arch support.
  • SeptemberFeyre
    SeptemberFeyre Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I find that New Balance and ASICS brand shoes work the best for me. I currently wear ASICS brand shoes. They are amazing. I haven’t had issues since I ditched my cheap shoes. I’m not claiming that this is your solution, I just know that the right kind of shoes go a long way.

I walk a lot by the way. I used to buy cheap shoes from Walmart and Payless. My feet always hurt. I went to the doctor and he diagnosed me with plantar fasciitis. I ditched my cheap shoes and went and bought some New Balance brand shoes. They were life changing. After my shoes got worn out I started wearing a pair of ASICS I had saved for running. I haven’t had any issues since finding those two brands.

I recommend trying different brands of high quality shoes.

I recommend New Balance too.
  • jenny0534
    jenny0534 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Vionic tide sandals, pink superfeet insoles in my flat dress shoes/boots and Brooks Sneakers have been the only shoes I’ve been able to wear comfortably.
  • carbos101
    carbos101 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Tried it all -- podiatrist, insoles/inserts, special (ugly) shoes, physical therapy -- exercises are brutal but great -- the best thing I spent money on other than PT was a pair of Mesphito sandals (Nordstroms and they resemble Birkenstocks but much better) and they saved me. Once I started wearing them (living in them) my heel recovered. They lifted my heal just the right angle. I hope they continue making the same style in case I get desperate again.
  • lokihen
    lokihen Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I used Kuru brand shoes. Expensive and it still took time to heal, but worth it when the pain is gone.