Not Losing Thigh Weight, Help?

Options
I know it isn't possible to lose weight from specific areas, but despite being 15lbs down (out of 25lb goal) I don't feel like my thighs have become smaller or changed at all. I've definitely lost weight from everywhere else - all of my upper body and my legs - but it is my thighs that were the reason I wanted to lose weight and I have no idea what to do about them.

Most of my exercise comes from walking, but I'm thinking about maybe starting to go running. I also have started using resistance bands, but I've only been using them a week or two. Are there any specific exercises that would help maybe tone up my thighs and make them more even with the rest of my body? Should I pay more attention to my macros? ... Or do I just need more patience and continue with my weight lost plan exactly as I am right now?

I'm really happy with my progress everywhere else on my body, but my thighs are irritating me because I struggle to find jeans that fit me – I've lost weight from my waist and a little from my legs but I can't fit into a smaller size yet because of my thighs. It is a little demoralising.
Any help appreciated! Thank you :)

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Sadly, we don't get to choose where our body loses fat. Sometimes the fat we most notice is the last to go -- I felt like I didn't really see a change in my stomach until I lost almost 30 pounds!

It's annoying, but patience is the answer. If you aren't doing resistance training already, that can really help you be happier with what you see in the mirror (based on my experience and what I've heard from others too).
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    You know the answer - just keep losing :) Lowering body fat and lifting to maintain muscle will help with your overall shape.

I have better luck with 'curvy' fit jeans and trousers. You might look for that type of style. They typically have a smaller waist and a little more room in the hips/thighs.
  • Bobble11
    Bobble11 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Preach! Arms and thighs are my targets and they are absolutely the last things to go.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Did you take measurements? What we see visually may not be reality.

This.

I've lost weight down enough to think my thighs didn't lose or look slimmer. Measurements showed differennt.

I hit the genetic lottery when it comes to retaining a higher body fat in my thighs as desired.

eta: Even through all the running and lifting I do, its the hardest to work on for me, I will never get lean enough to see definition like I would like to :cry:
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options

This. Our eyes can deceive us. The numbers don't lie. As another member of the thick thigh club, I completely get your frustration with finding pants that fit. I finally found a good fit with Levi's 529 curvy fit, but they discontinued them :'( . Their new curvy fit ones aren't bad, but I don't like them as much.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Where we carry weight is mostly genetic but your thighs will most likely reduce as you keep losing - have you taken measurements? they could well have dropped a bit already but you're just not noticing it as such.
  • lottieouroboros
    lottieouroboros Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your answers! I haven't been taking measurements, I'm basing it more on the way my old jeans fit... if patience is the answer then I guess I'll just have to wait it out!
  • Roobyzooby
    Roobyzooby Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I have lost over 100lbs since starting my weight loss journey, I seemed to go through cycles of which bit got smaller as the lbs went down. At one point my waist reduced a lot in a short space of time, which then in my eyes made my hips look massive. It does all even out for the most part, try not to get frustrated and just focus on how well you have done so far.
  • dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I would dearly love to write my body a love note to please be taking fat from my calves and thighs -- moreso my calves. I am so self-conscious about my calves (which feel giant to me). I take measurements and they move incredibly slow, yet for some reason, my body is like "oh hey, I burned more of your neck fat!" I'm all, "MY NECK IS ALREADY A NODDLE, COULDN'T YOU HAVE TAKEN IT FROM AT LEAST SOMEWHERE THAT NEEDS IT?!" My legs keep me from comfortably getting into the next size down that fits my hips/waist as well.

It is true what someone said above: where you want it gone the most is where it takes the longest to go. My stomach poofed pretty early on, but my legs. Oh, my legs. I'm into the First Fat, as I think of it because I'm pretty sure I'm burning the Ancient Fat from the Time Before I gained A Lot of Weight. Measurements are definitely key and keep me sane.

It is patience and knowledge that the body does as the body does, and all you can do is keep on keeping on.

Good luck to you!!
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem. My legs lose and lose and there is nothing left to them, but the belly fat is another story. If I stay in a deficit I fear my legs will disappear entirely :D But that stupid belly will still be there
  • hippiesaur
    hippiesaur Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I think I had to lose about 20-25 lbs to fit in a one size smaller pair of jeans. I'm only 2 sizes down after reaching my goal weight (I lost 40 lbs total), and I think I could never fit in smaller pants because my hip bones are so incredibly wide, I can clearly see them when naked, so there is no chance that I can lose more from that area. I still feel fat in my legs but now I just try to recomp to lose the fat from there and build more muscle. You shouldn't be frustrated, it will take some time probably, but if you keep going, you will get there :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options

Another vote for taking measurements. My lying eyes always think my biceps are bigger, but the tape measure disagrees.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,434 Member
    Options
    I'm the same. I have visible abs at a BMI of 22, right in the middle of the healthy BMI range... but if I get to the lower end I still have big thighs and calves. Mind you, I prefer my face to have a bit of padding, thus I'm not going there.
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    Options
    Keep going you will lose it eventually, you can’t spot reduce. I have the same problem with my arms they lose fat slower then the rest of my body so it seems however in pictures I notice they are in fact smaller.